Hands cramped on RMB

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by feard, May 24, 2015.

1. feard macrumors member

I have owned rMB for a month now. I really enjoy it and use it everyday. One problem I have noticed is the way the keyboard is shaped my hands feel cramped and it gets painful. Anyone else notice this? Any suggestions on using the MacBook in a better way? thanks.

2. thetorque macrumors member

thetorque

3. feard thread starter macrumors member

Yes, mainly the wrist.

4. Costino1 macrumors 6502

Costino1

Could be due to the fact you don't rest your hands on the computer. I know I don't.

I keep my hands lifted above the computer....which is a huge cause for carpal tunnel syndrome.

5. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

I was always taught that bad technique when typing causes CTS. You really aren't supposed to be resting your hands on the computer when typing. Plus you can't type as fast when you do that.

6. KPOM macrumors G5

You may be hitting the keys too hard. Since the keyboard has so little travel, the trick is to pretend it is a touchscreen and tap with little force. That may be what writers such as Jason Snell and Marco Arment, who both complained about the keyboard, need to adjust to most if they are to get used to it.

7. feard thread starter macrumors member

There is no place to rest the hands/wrist and I hover above the keyboard. I am trying to get used to it.

8. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

If you are getting pain after a month of usage then I'd stop using the machine as you should have adjusted by now.

No computer or gadget is worth suffering pain over!

9. mac-jam macrumors newbie

Same problem coming from a 15 rMBP. Just can't seem To get used to it so far.

10. Music Lover macrumors member

Interesting. Please explain more!

11. ProwlingTiger macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

I understand the concern but people really shouldn't be surprised by this. A smaller machine = less surface area for wrists. This should be obvious. No, there is nothing that can be done aside from buying a different machine.

12. lchlch macrumors 6502a

Isn't the keyboard the same size or larger than the 13" and 15"?

13. Kiwi 99 macrumors regular

Kiwi 99

Yes, the keyboard is exactly the same size. The keys are larger (which is why the edges are closer to each other)

I assume the posters mean that the metal below the keyboard isn't big enough to rest the wrists on.

----------

It's fine for for me, but maybe with really big hands it's no good.

----------

In fact it feels perfect to me, like a keyboard should be. When I go back to my rMBP 15" now, it feels like I'm sitting at some big mixing desk. Or that I've brought my desk along with me, as well as a notebook.
    A very subjective thing I guess.

14. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

Here you go!

15. ProwlingTiger macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

But the area surround the keyboard is smaller meaning less space to rest your hands which might cause discomfort for some.

16. Music Lover macrumors member

Thanks, read the article but still a bit confused.
    How can holding your hands in the air be good (put load on the shoulders) and resting the hands be bad?

17. rezok macrumors newbie

I was the same, particularly coming from a 13" rMBP. You'll get used to it. Promise.

Persist and don't look back!

18. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Basically any unnatural wrist angle can put pressure on the median nerve causing CTS over time. This happens when the angle inhibits nerve gliding and cause damage and scarring and can eventually lead to the nerve adhering to the tissue around it restricting movement of teh nerve in the tunnel and causing pain.

19. bcaslis macrumors 68020

The article is correct. Resting the wrist is very bad for RSI, especially resting them on a hard surface. I've had personal experience with this, many years ago my wrists were very painful but once I stopped resting my wrists they improved significantly.

20. Music Lover macrumors member

Got it. Thanks for the explanation!

21. Altis macrumors 68000

You can also try moving the laptop a little further away from you so that your wrists are more straight.

The smaller laptop tends to be kept closer to you, but that sharpens the angle of the wrists.

22. seong macrumors 65816

seong

I too had cramps around the wrist area after prolonged use of the new rMB, but I realized I was typing with my hands in ll position rather than /\ position that I would do on my previous rMBP 15". I've changed to a more /\ shape and now I can type 5+ hours without any cramps.