Hands-Free law in California

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bradl, Jul 3, 2008.

1. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Mods, this could go possibly anywhere from the iPhone forums to the Community forums, so if you think it would be better elsewhere, please feel free to move it.

This is pretty much an FYI for those that don't live in California but plan to visit or move there soon. Starting July 1st, 2008, people 18 and younger are not allowed to use their phones while driving, period. Those over 18 must use a hands-free device (headset, bluetooth piece, etc.) while driving. This applies to everyone in the state of California. If you are from another state or country, and such a law doesn't exist there, it does not matter. You will be pulled over and cited. No points/demerits on your driving record, but it will go on your driving record as reportable.

More on this, plus a FAQ for those older and younger than 18 can be found at the California DMV.

Funnily enough, the law doesn't prohibit DIALING, or SMS/Text messaging while driving. You also can use your speaker on the phone as well. But just as a heads up, You're going to get nailed here if you are talking on your phone and driving. Just in Sacramento alone on Tuesday, there were 86 warnings and tickets given early Tuesday morning in my area alone.

So tread carefully while in Cali.

BL.

2. bamaworks macrumors 6502

It's actually a good thing. Drivers don't need any more distractions.

3. Nicolecat macrumors 6502a

Nicolecat

It's a good thing Cali and Alabama are non-reciprocating states.... :p

4. Whorehay macrumors 6502a

Whorehay

And I was one of those guys who could never stand seeing people with their BT headsets in their ears at all times. Now I gotta be one of those people :(

I'm glad I can still SMS text though :confused::confused::confused::rolleyes:

In the end, good for us Californians though. Sometimes I wonder how people get their drivers licenses.

5. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Gawd, I hope not when you're driving!:eek: (OK, I'll be honest, I just did some SMS Texting while driving to the Ontario Airport, Southern California, last night, but there was hardly anyone on the road (and I did have my BT on)...Thank God!).:eek:

6. circusbass macrumors regular

There is also a law against wearing headphones while you drive as well. That leads me to this question: Will we be able to use the headset that comes with the iPhone in one ear while driving?

7. modelbehaviour macrumors 6502

It's been like this in the UK for well over a year now, but I still see people everyday just ignoring it and using their phones anyway.

8. Nicolecat macrumors 6502a

Nicolecat

here's a screenshot of part of the link he posted. :)

This should answer your question...

Attached Files:

9. sara123456 macrumors member

Yeah I think its 3 points and £60 fine these days in the uk but like the lasted post said people still use there phones :)

10. circusbass macrumors regular

11. TimothyB macrumors 6502a

I think one ear is fine, but using regular headphones the covers both would be bad.

This new makes wish the iPhone had voice dialing, even if it was a cruddy feature and I had to say the name 5 times before it worked.

12. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

I still can't stand seeing that. I can understand needing to use it in the car, but when you're not driving nor talking on the phone, take it out of your ear!

13. TimothyB macrumors 6502a

DRIVERS UNDER 18

Q: Am I allowed to use my wireless telephone "hands-free?"
    A: No. Drivers under the age of 18 may not use a wireless telephone, pager, laptop or any other electronic communication or mobile services device to speak or text while driving in any manner, even "hands-free." EXCEPTION: Permitted in emergency situations to call police, fire or medical authorities (VC §23124).

DRIVERS 18 AND OVER

Q: Will it be legal to use a Bluetooth or other earpiece?
    A: Yes, however you cannot have BOTH ears covered.

Q: Does the new “hands-free” law prohibit you from dialing a wireless telephone while driving or just talking on it?
    A: The new law does not prohibit dialing, but drivers are strongly urged not to dial while driving.

Q: Does the new “hands-free” law allow drivers 18 and over to text message while driving?
    A: The law does not specifically prohibit that, but an officer can pull over and issue a citation to a driver of any age if, in the officer’s opinion, the driver was distracted and not operating the vehicle safely. Sending text messages while driving is unsafe at any speed and is strongly discouraged.

More here:
    http://www.dmv.ca.gov/cellularphonelaws/index.htm

14. TimothyB macrumors 6502a

Yeah, the headsets are nice to have in cars or at home, but walking around in public, it's just confusing. Knowing how silly it looks, even last week at my Uncles for a poker party, I had to leave the table to call my dad back, but I also wanted to poor a cup of coffee at the same time. So I tried using my bluetooth, but I just had to stop and remove it because I felt so silly and awkward.

15. tritonj macrumors 6502a

damn headsests are hilarious, walking around the local Ralphs and everyone looks like they are talking to themselves, but they are really talking on the phone through BT

just wait in like a year, someone will invent an implant you can put on your jawbone that will transmit voice to the phone, and then 50 years later it will be found that it causes cancer or something

hell i wouldn't be surprised if in another 20 years there are studies trying to tie BT headsets and some form of cancer or disease. no matter what they say it can't be good to have any kind of a transmitter stuck on the side of your head

16. Nicolecat macrumors 6502a

Nicolecat

Whenever I see a bluetooth headset...I can't help but think in my head.
    "So, how's your stock broker/lawyer?"

Plus, I always feel so dumb when someone walks up to me in a store and says, "Hi." It's a natural reaction to say, "Hi." back only to realize that even though they were in close proximity they were on the phone even as they looked past my head at something behind me.
    Strange.
    I vow to have bluetooth installed in my car...and never to wear a bluetooth headset....it's just too weird.

17. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

Here's the irony of it all...

This is hilarious/awkward/weird because of BT... But Uhura and everyone on all of the newer Star Trek Series (TNG, DS9, Voyager) were cool with having their communicators..

Go fig...

BL.

18. jonnyb macrumors 6502a

Except for the ones who have been caught and prosecuted of course, as my partner, who's in the police, will be happy to tell you.

19. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The fine in California is a whopping $20, and although it could inflate to over $70 with court costs, the fine alone won't serve as much of a deterrent. OTOH, if you're in an accident while violating the law, the penalties could be much greater. It's a weak law, but whatever it does to reduce the number of "phone drunks" on the road is better than nothing.

20. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

It isn't as cheap as most people think.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25495276/

21. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

But didn't I already say that? :rolleyes:

22. guru_ck macrumors 6502

I'm sure it's not as worse as having a cell phone stuck to the side of your head! Those signals have got to be a lot more powerful.

23. FDX macrumors regular

I remember a show on the Discovery channel that looked into driving and talking on a cell. They had some drivers run a course with no distractions then did it on the cell and then did it with a blood alcohol level for a DUI. They did about the same with the DUI as they did well talking on the cell, just something to think about if you think you're above the law,because I don't want u to kill my family.

24. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Mythbusters are always fun ... especially when they have to get Adam drunk.