hands free portable dialing for car.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fyrmedic, Mar 24, 2008.

1. fyrmedic macrumors member

I need a portable hands free voice dialing for my car and my Iphone.

I do allot of business on the road with several different cars.

anybody use the harmon kardon drive and play or the alpine ex-10

is there something that does it all. Ie nav, ipod, hands free calling.

remember it has got to be portable

your opinions, reviews please

2. peeaanuut macrumors 65816

i would have recommended the Parrot system but it looks like you have a few cars so that would be out......

3. fyrmedic thread starter macrumors member

no one?

anybody use the harmon kardon or the alpine?

no portable navs they swear by to double as phones?:confused:

4. carlgo macrumors 68000

I am in the middle of this too. Without a voice-dial feature, then the next best thing is a useable vehicle-mounted touch screen so you can list your contacts and then touch their name to dial.

This is obviously safer than holding a phone in one hand, dialing with the other and steering with your knees. Or doing the same on your phones' contact list.

I bought a Garmin 660 GPS. One of its features is that you can enter names and phone numbers. The unit fits on my dash via the Garmin beanbag and is pretty solid. I can keep my eyes up and ahead and just use one hand to scroll for the number and push on it to dial the iPhone.

This GPS and the iPhone hook up very well with bluetooth

When a call comes in, I just touch the screen, it answers and I can talk hands-free.

The Garmin, like all such devices, connects to the car's stereo system by the sucky fm transmitter system. This is a subject all to itself, as you will find if you pursue this.

The Garmin has a voice dialing feature! But, the phone has to have one too, or it obviously won't work.

So, right now without a voice dialing feature on the iPhone you will be stuck with something like I described to be at least semi-legal and reasonably safe.

It sounds like your work, driving around making calls, might benefit from having a GPS anyway.

This is why Apple needs to have both a voice dialing capability and soon. And GPS is actually getting to be a requirement, not just a toy.

Let me know if this helps or you need more info. I think a lot of people are faced with this problem.

5. fyrmedic thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the info. It seems as though the garmins are the most iphone friendly portable...I am going to wait until SDK to see what happens then I will make a move. thank you again for the response

6. carlgo macrumors 68000

As a follow-up, note that the Parrot 3100 is a bluetooth device that will allow hands-free dialing with the iPhone. You enter your numbers into the Parrot and then you can voice dial through that. Just got Parrot's email confirming that.

I am waiting on voice-dialing info on the iPhone updates as well because that would save around $160. I think, if it works. If not, the Parrot is pretty neat.

7. Roller macrumors 68020

Amen. I've been looking online for a solution for several days. I already have a nav system, so I don't need a GPS device. I'm hoping that the iPhone 2.0 s/w will support voice dialing; for now, I can live with just receiving calls hands-free.

So far, I've found:

Parrot: needs installation, which I'd rather avoid.

BlueAnt Supertooth Light: mixed reliability reviews. Plus, they showed version III at CES, which supports caller announcement via text-to-speech. I haven't been able to get a response from them as to when it's shipping.

Jabra SP5050: Charges from the car adapter only.

Motorola T305: Variable reviews.

You'd think that there'd be many more choices out there, but I haven't found them if they exist. I may get the Jabra for now.

8. peeaanuut macrumors 65816

You might want to look into the Alpine Blackbird. It is the add-on module for some Alpine headunits. It adds Navi and bluetooth calling to those head units. But the bonus is that you can take it out and move it to another car and still get navi and bluetooth without the touchscreen headunit. So it becomes a portable. You can buy it independently of their headunits and from what I have seen it works great. You get navi, bluetooth hands free and its portable.

LINK: http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/products/product.php?model=PMD-B200