Hands free Siri texting

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by spoa94, Jun 7, 2015.

1. spoa94 macrumors 6502a

spoa94

I remember discussing in earlier threads how when using Siri to send a text message hand free by using the "Hey Siri" command the AW still required you to tap the Send button. Kinda defeats the purpose of hands free texting. Well today I learned that after the messages app opens with your message you can then say "Hey Siri, send" and the message will go through.

Sorry if this has been discussed before but

2. goomba478 macrumors regular

Yeah, unless we're both missing something I completely agree with you. I tried this yesterday (I've only had the watch for 2 days now) and was expecting that it'd send but I glanced down at the red light and it was asking me to confirm the send. I get that you probably want to confirm it before sending it, because sometimes the dictation is off, but it'd be nice if there was an option (maybe there is?).

3. Smurphy Gherkin macrumors regular

Just follow up with "Hey Siri Ok".

Total hands free. :cool:

Edit: sorry read in hurry, what I wrote works for reminders. Haven't tried texting.

4. Rok73 macrumors 65816

Rok73

Do you actually have to flip the watch once so the screen goes off and on again and then do the "hey Siri, send it" thing?

Once I said "Hey Siri" twice and Siri created a message with the following content: "Hey Siri". :rolleyes:

5. spoa94 thread starter macrumors 6502a

spoa94

Just keep your wrist up. "Hey Siri tell Dave hello" *messages app opens with the message* "Hey Siri, send"

6. Rok73 macrumors 65816

Rok73

7. mikepepe86 macrumors regular

I feel like the 'Hey Siri' command works about half the time for me :-/ however dictation does work really really well. I really like texting on the watch for quick replies

8. anez macrumors 6502

anez

Dictation is almost always spot on for me, but I find the hands-free option to be oddly organized.

As others have said above, after "Hey Siri" and message dictation, you then have to let the messages app open, wait for the Cancel/Send option to appear beneath the formatted message, and then say "Hey Siri, send text" or similar to get it to work.

Sometimes it takes so long for the message to register as sent that I end up sending it twice because I can't tell if it has gone, but slowly, or whether Siri isn't responding again. It is a superb feature which IMO has been poorly implemented, and I'm hoping future updates will make it run more seamlessly.

9. versifiercsvt macrumors newbie

wow...this was a great tip! It works. Would be nice if Apple code a "then" function for Siri to enable a "two in one" command. So you can just say, "Hey Siri....say Hello to Joe then send." Sure the message might be sent wrong or sent to the wrong person but still wouldn't mind having that option.

10. flur macrumors 68000

I've noticed that you can tap anywhere on the screen to send the message (you don't have to tap the "send" in the corner, just don't hit "cancel"), so if "hey siri send" isn't working, just tap the screen anywhere or tap it to your nose and it will send the message.

11. spoa94 thread starter macrumors 6502a

spoa94

Good find

12. wesk702 macrumors 68000

wesk702

No taps needed, just say "hey Siri, send message"

Little cumbersome, but if one hand is, well... preoccupied... This may help.

13. NavySEAL6 macrumors 6502a

The dictation works fairly well for me. I wish they would add a small keyboard though