Hands on experience with new Touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by 00marks, Sep 10, 2008.

1. 00marks macrumors newbie

I thought I'd start a thread so that those who have actually played with a new ipod touch can tell others of their experiences.

Well I've just got back from my local Apple store (Leicester, UK) and much to my amazement they had the new nanos and also the new touch on display!

The new nanos look very nice - but they are tiny.

Now onto the 2nd generation ipod Touch...
    I played around with one for about a quarter of an hour. As you all know it has tapered edges like the iphone but it is *much* less chunky. The new edges do give the impression of been considerably thinner than the original Touch.

The one I played with was running 2.1.1 version software (strange because when I updated my 1st generation touch this morning it said it was running 2.1 so I guess they have slightly different versions for the 2 generations).

The volume buttons are pretty much like those on the iphone. I guess they might be useful to some people.

The new internal speaker is, er, rubbish. The sound was tinny and very quiet. At first I thought it wasn't working - I checked the settings several times to make sure I wasn't doing anything silly. But I could only just hear the sound - and the background volume in the store wasn't that loud.

In all other ways it operates just like the original ipod Touch. Not much else to say really. My view is that the new Touch is not exactly a big leap forward. I was very disappointed by the internal speaker and I guess the volume controls are ok. The nice thing was the redesign of the case shape.

Would be good to hear other peoples views.

2. kitenski macrumors regular

kitenski

Did you notice if they had any new cases/skins for the v2 itouch in the UK stores?

regards,

Greg

3. 00marks thread starter macrumors newbie

There were lots of cases/skins on display (made by third party vendors) but as far as I could see they were all for the v1 touch - but I could be wrong. I spent most of my time on the new ipods rather than look at accessories.

4. Lesser Evets macrumors 68040

Lesser Evets

I ordered one online yesterday. It will probably arrive Monday or Tuesday. Also purchased a sensor for Nike+, and a pair of Nike+ shoes, and a speaker system, and a few other things.

The ONE thing I want to really learn about is the headphone-mic set!

Apple's site, and all the threads here, don't explain where the mic is on that thing, or how well it performs. Most likely I'll buy it once word is spreading about performance.

Overall the new iPT is cheaper for more functions, which is all good. The only people disappointed are those wanting a broad jump in features and those left out on the last gen Touches.

5. brsboarder macrumors 6502a

And it gives 12 more hours of battery life for music. I'll take that

6. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

I haven't seen too many people disappointed at all. Nice assumption though.

7. mpshay macrumors 6502

I'm to get the Nike+ system, but I'm skipping the shoes and going with a pouch that aattaches to the laces so I can use Asics shoes that I prefer over Nike.

I'll probably never use the speaker for listening to music, but it seems like it would be great games and other apps