Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kate-willbury

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2009
==========================

And because its running a desktop OS you need antivirus software, spyware protection and have to do the regular house keeping on it defragmentation, run antivirus checks, run spyware checks etc

you'd have to be brain dead to think like this. you clearly have never even been on a windows system.

Peter Harrison

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2009
UK
A little off-topic maybe, but I'm wondering if anyone has commented on the colour of the back yet? Please correct me if I'm wrong and I'll go get my eyes tested, but the iPad at the keynote appeared to be silver on the back. I LOVED that. It looked like a little Macbook Pro screen. But on the official iPad website, the images of the iPad show a white back which I'm not as interested in. I really like silver.

Any news on the colour of the back? Yes, I know this isn't very important, but I'm just curious.

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
A little off-topic maybe, but I'm wondering if anyone has commented on the colour of the back yet? Please correct me if I'm wrong and I'll go get my eyes tested, but the iPad at the keynote appeared to be silver on the back. I LOVED that. It looked like a little Macbook Pro screen. But on the official iPad website, the images of the iPad show a white back which I'm not as interested in. I really like silver.

Any news on the colour of the back? Yes, I know this isn't very important, but I'm just curious.

The iPad back is aluminum. So yes, it's silver in color.

Peter Harrison

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2009
UK
Thanks, that's great to know. It looked excellent in the videos, but the images on the official website make it look cheap and tacky in my opinion.

Peter Harrison

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2009
UK
Personally, the most common complaints I've heard so far aren't regarding the camera, but regarding the edges. People seem to want the screen to go right to the edge with almost no border.

Umm... it's touchscreen. Wouldn't that make holding the thing much harder? If you curled a thumb around the edge, it would start touching things onscreen by mistake wouldn't it? :confused: Seems to be intelligent design if you ask me.

Some criticisms seem to be fair, such as the camera for example. That doesn't affect me, as I didn't need a camera on it. But I can see why it could be a problem for many. But most of the criticisms seem very odd. Doesn't run OSX... Of course it doesn't! That would have been horrible! Uses 4:3 aspect ratio.. Of course it does! It's not a television, it's a multi-purpose device. Doesn't handle Flash... Of course it doesn't! Flash is terrible. It's a resource hog, will drain the battery. Bring on HTML5! It's like a big iPod Touch. That's not strictly true, but even if it was, what's wrong with the iPod Touch!?

I hardly see anyone praising it for the exciting stuff. People wanted the option to use physical keyboard. You got it. People wanted optional 3G, with Wifi-only models available. You got it. People wanted to use 3G without being roped into another contract. You got it!

People seem pissed that this doesn't replace their computers. Was it supposed to? I don't think I would have purchased a tablet device to replace a laptop or desktop computer. I'm purchasing the iPad because it ISN'T a replacement for my computers. I don't want to design websites or do programming on a tablet. I've got computers for that. But this is perfect for me to just enjoy! I've wanted something like this just for browsing the web while listening to the music. I love my iPhone and it has become the hub of my entire life. I plan everything I do with it, entertain myself with it, and use it every hour of every day. But I hate pinching and scrolling all the time on websites and I can't wait to see what the devs do with this big screen and faster processor. Bring on the apps!

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
Mhm, because its running a full, uncrippled operating system?

"Uncrippled" you say? Because "full" desktop operating systems do so well on small touch-controlled tablets?

Even freaking windoze is better than iphone OS when it comes to using such a big device.

That must explain why freaking Windows tablet computers have been such big freaking sellers over the years.

iphone OS is great, but is originally designed for smaller devices. If you use it on an ipad, kinda defeats the purpose of its existence

Yeah, I'm sure Apple is too stupid to tweak the iPhone OS (or should we just start calling it OS X Mobile?) to be more suitable for the increased real estate of the iPad. :rolleyes:

SmokinX

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2010
Remember the intro of the iPad?

Just so funny to read the first reactions on a new Apple product.

A tip: read this thread again. Read your own first reaction again! Was is negative? Was is about no one wanting this device? No one is willing to buy this?

Funny. Still using my first generation iPad daily and still think it was worth it, a lot!

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Jan 25, 2008
True, we have all learned to love it, but it wasn't until gen. 2 or 3 that Apple had ironed out the quirks. We now have cameras, i.e. Skype/Facetime capabilities, it multitasks, and it is finally fast enough to run really demanding applications.

SmokinX

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2010
Not quirks: potential

True, we have all learned to love it, but it wasn't until gen. 2 or 3 that Apple had ironed out the quirks. We now have cameras, i.e. Skype/Facetime capabilities, it multitasks, and it is finally fast enough to run really demanding applications.

These were not quirks... the product had potential!
Like I said: still using gen 1 daily and sure hoping to find latest gen under the Christmas tree!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.