Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thasan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2007
Germany
How is it a low budget phone, seeing as it has all of the feature of the iPhone 5, plus a couple of minor improvements? My iPhone 5 doesn't feel “low budget” to me.

exactly. i dont really understand why the hell people call it a cheap phone? its slightly better in specs than iphone 5. how come people expect it to be 200 usd? i understand anal-ysts and their crazy dreams but i thought general public has a bit more common sense than those halfwits :(

Appleusergerman

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2013

And WORSE: whenever you cross US-boarders they can and often do copy everything electronic! In the UK and other countries it is a criminal offense not to give them your passwords. In Germany, since 7/1/13 they can get w/o a court approval all your passwords (!) from ISPs, banks, Amazon - you name it. The US, UK, Germany and many others are collecting all Internet data and putting it together in one big dump sharing it. And since yesterday we know they share it with Israel. All SWIFT transactions are spied up by the NSA. And the story goes on and on and on.

Oh btw: Maybe the freedom loving government of Saudi Arabia is also part of it! Enjoy: if your are gay the death penalty might wait for you!

WAKE UP!

Do you know how much this destroys democracy? The fact that you cannot trust anybody anymore? We call it the pair of scissors in your brain - aka self censorship. No Bin-laden or whoever could even become close to the damage that is done! The only good part: it will cost billions in damages, bc nobody in his right mind is trusting anybody anymore and the reputation of the US and its companies got hit big time. Read Yahoo Mayers or what the facebook guy just said!

(Oh and what do you think ppl in foreign markets think about the NSA spying on them and treating them like 3rd class people - not to forget businesses in other countries! They are angry beyond belief

Last edited:

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
AltiVec was introduced one year before SSE in 1998, MMX was 80 bit. There are surely pro's and cons to both. In my opinion the primary reason for the switch was mobile, look at current PPC like A2 (16 cores) or Power8 surely in the higher end of CPUs.

All the sources that I found say 1999 for the PPC7400 (AKA G4).
http://www.apple-history.com/g4agp
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PowerPC_G4

3Dnow! was similar to SSE, and introduced on the K6 in 1998.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3dnow

subsonix

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2008
All the sources that I found say 1999 for the PPC7400 (AKA G4).
http://www.apple-history.com/g4agp
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PowerPC_G4

3Dnow! was similar to SSE, and introduced on the K6 in 1998.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3dnow

Well, I referred to when the development was done, not when the first products hit the market. However, AMDs implementation was not compatible with SSE, and it like SSE v1 only supported one data type, 32 bit floats. Not until SSE2 was other data types supported, all where supported on AltiVec. SSE3 then introduced horizontal operations already in place on AltiVec.

Some other feature comparisons:

AltiVec provides a much more complete set of "horizontal" operations that work across all the elements of a vector; the allowable combinations of data type and operations are much more complete. Thirty-two 128-bit vector registers are provided, compared to eight for SSE and SSE2 (extended to 16 in x86-64), and most AltiVec instructions take three register operands compared to only two register/register or register/memory operands on IA-32.
AltiVec is also unique in its support for a flexible vector permute instruction, in which each byte of a resulting vector value can be taken from any byte of either of two other vectors, parametrized by yet another vector. This allows for sophisticated manipulations in a single instruction.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altivec#Features_and_comparison_to_x86-64_Streaming_SIMD_Extensions

Anyway, the whole point of my comment originally was your idea that intel had 128 bit registers first, and that SSE1 was somehow supperior on features.

Last edited:

kdarling

macrumors P6
Google's not making that much money off Android,

If they were trying to sell Android, that'd be a problem. But they're not.

Google is making millions off the iPhone. Is Apple making anything from Android?

their $12 billion purchase of Moto has give them more trouble than it is worth.

Google paid the same price per Motorola patent as Apple's group paid per Nortel patent. What's Apple gotten out of the billions they spent?

Google got not only the patents, but also a settop box company (which they sold), billions over the next six years in tax write-offs, and a cell phone maker which had $3 billion in cash reserves to burn through if they had to.

The upshot is, Google will have spent less than a couple of billion on the deal.

StyxMaker

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2010
Inside my head.
anyone know if they fixed the scroll lag from the 5. i heard it may have the led panel itself that was the problem in the 5. hoping to trade side ways to the 5c if it does not have the lag.

There has never been a scroll lag on my 5 (or my 4s, or my 4, or my 3g, or my original iPhone).

----------

try this (i can make this happen to my phone every time)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5M5_9Sb90w

So, in order to make your 5 'lag' you have to do things no one would ever, under normal circumstances, do.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
As an iPhone 5 happy user, for the first time in my life I'm considering to skip this iPhone iteration ....

I'm not disappointed , but I think 4 -> 4s was a bigger upgrade than 5-> 5s in many ways

bokdol

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
VA
There has never been a scroll lag on my 5 (or my 4s, or my 4, or my 3g, or my original iPhone).

----------

So, in order to make your 5 'lag' you have to do things no one would ever, under normal circumstances, do.

sort of. try playing fruit ninja and have the game not recognize you movements. not a big deal in the long run but it does get annoying.

Mago

macrumors 68030
Aug 16, 2011
Beyond the Thunderdome
Touch ID as it Actually Implemented is UNSAFE, There are Two situation why Touch ID it's useless, and why I'll never use it to unlock the iPhone, also I suggest you to dont allow to unlock it using the Touch ID, rely on unlock code only because: if you Are:

1. Sleeping (anyone just need to place your finger on top the sensor), so your wife could easy catch if you're cheating...
  2. Tied (as if you're kidnaped), no way the sensor knows your will or situation, kidnapers can unlock the phone when they want and send text, Tweets, whatever they want acting as you.

Touch ID must be used only as 2nd authentication factor NEVER ALONE to be considered SAFE, and as complement of old school Unlock Code.

twigman08

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2012
Touch ID as it Actually Implemented is UNSAFE, There are Two situation why Touch ID it's useless, and why I'll never use it to unlock the iPhone, also I suggest you to dont allow to unlock it using the Touch ID, rely on unlock code only because: if you Are:

1. Sleeping (anyone just need to place your finger on top the sensor), so your wife could easy catch if you're cheating...
  2. Tied (as if you're kidnaped), no way the sensor knows your will or situation, kidnapers can unlock the phone when they want and send text, Tweets, whatever they want acting as you.

Touch ID must be used only as 2nd authentication factor NEVER ALONE to be considered SAFE, and as complement of old school Unlock Code.

I'm sorry but really?

I have the easiest solution to number 1. Don't cheat.

Also if number 2 happens then I think you have other things to worry about than someone getting into your phone.

There isn't one full proof plan. Anything can be hacked one way or the other.

jon3543

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2010
I'm sorry but really?

I have the easiest solution to number 1. Don't cheat.

Also if number 2 happens then I think you have other things to worry about than someone getting into your phone.

My thought for (2) was that the 5s is the anti-torture phone. Instead of being tortured to give up your passcode, all they have to do is tie you up and touch your finger to it.

sshhoott

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2010
[citation needed]

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57600175-37/here-is-the-dream-iphone-5s-cnet-readers-want/

Look at the pie chart graphic in this article. It's the bottom left one. 79% people say they want a bigger screen than 4". And this result is from a poll of 11233 people! :eek:

Now, there's no way that information is remotely wrong. It's basically a guarantee that the iPhone 6 will at least be 4.5" screen size based on market demand. Otherwise, Apple might as well file for bankruptcy.

nsayer

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Silicon Valley
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57600175-37/here-is-the-dream-iphone-5s-cnet-readers-want/

Look at the pie chart graphic in this article. It's the bottom left one. 79% people say they want a bigger screen than 4". And this result is from a poll of 11233 people! :eek:

That poll is not a poll suitable for market research or for saying what Apple will (or even should) do. It's a self-selected survey of people who happened to stumble across and click on a page at CNet. That's not how it's done.

Try again.

sshhoott

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2010
That poll is not a poll suitable for market research or for saying what Apple will (or even should) do. It's a self-selected survey of people who happened to stumble across and click on a page at CNet. That's not how it's done.

Try again.

Well, yes you're right. It's not a proper way to conduct market research. But this is real people saying what they want to see in an iPhone. If one was to estimate, it would be safe to say at least 50% of the people in real world would like to see a bigger screen as compared to a hefty 79%. There are so many polls on different websites that match this result. Just google "iPhone screen size poll".

Since, I'm posting this on Macrumors (place of Apple Fanboys/girls), most people will not agree to this. But it is the truth.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.