Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
Unfortunately, nothing really new.

Indeed. Although I was watching some of those hands-on videos from March 10th lately, and it really put in perspective for me the size of the device. I know it's different to actually see it in person, but the 12-inch display doesn't look small in the way that the 11" Air display does.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Where the hell are the full reviews!

My main concern at this stage is the keyboard and neither of those hands on reviews mention it being a con but we need someone who's used it extensively to tell us what they think

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden

My main concern at this stage is the keyboard and neither of those hands on reviews mention it being a con but we need someone who's used it extensively to tell us what they think

That's the one change that I think is really down to the individual at the end of the day. I don't disagree that reading a variety of reviews based on real use is helpful, but keyboards are a little like running shoes or toothbrushes. What works great for one person may not work at all for someone else.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
That's the one change that I think is really down to the individual at the end of the day. I don't disagree that reading a variety of reviews based on real use is helpful, but keyboards are a little like running shoes or toothbrushes. What works great for one person may not work at all for someone else.

I agree but I can get a sense of what the switch from a MBP or MBA is like to a MB since I've used the others extensively and whoever is reviewing them will have too so I want to see what it's like making the transition. Whether I'll like it as much or as little as the reviewer and how long it'll take me to adjust will obviously vary for me.

msb3079

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2010
collingswood. nj
Indeed. Although I was watching some of those hands-on videos from March 10th lately, and it really put in perspective for me the size of the device. I know it's different to actually see it in person, but the 12-inch display doesn't look small in the way that the 11" Air display does.

I was thinking the same. I think because this is back to the 16:10 ratio as opposed to the 16:9 ratio of the 11" Air.

thedeske

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2013
If it's not a watch, little attention right now.
I'd love to see a vid of someone actually handling one and using it
instead of jabber about specs. I know it's nifty, so fire up Lightroom or something with teeth and let me watch!

Fat Chance any time soon

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
If it's not a watch, little attention right now.
I'd love to see a vid of someone actually handling one and using it
instead of jabber about specs. I know it's nifty, so fire up Lightroom or something with teeth and let me watch!

Fat Chance any time soon

Well, hopefully tomorrow.. :apple:

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC

The keyboard is a personal feel. There's going to be three categories:

- Some will hate the new keyboard and refuse to try it for more than a few days.

- Some will love the new keyboard and go about happily.

- Some will find the keyboard odd/different but after a week get used to it.

I will likely be in the third category. As with all devices there is a slight learning curve, but as humans we get used to it. It's the same as when Apple moved the power button on the iPhone 6 from the top to the side. It took me a few months to get use to not hitting it. Now, it's second nature.

moxxey

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2011
some people may be interested

These are cheat reviews. I know...I work for one of the companies!

They don't have the 12" MB. No-one does. They are creating a "review" from the feedback at launch. You can tell, as all the photos are from the launch event!

I'll add I don't agree with this approach, but the reason these "reviews" are live is for this reason - SEO. Be the first and people spread the "review" as gospel and you get high up the search rankings, quickly. Sad really.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Hands on reviews

The keyboard is a personal feel. There's going to be three categories:

- Some will hate the new keyboard and refuse to try it for more than a few days.

- Some will love the new keyboard and go about happily.

- Some will find the keyboard odd/different but after a week get used to it.

I will likely be in the third category. As with all devices there is a slight learning curve, but as humans we get used to it. It's the same as when Apple moved the power button on the iPhone 6 from the top to the side. It took me a few months to get use to not hitting it. Now, it's second nature.

I really do hope I'm in the 3rd with you. I'm just worried adjusting to a shorter key travel will be difficult. I guess we'll have to wait and see. No Apple stores in Ireland so I'm going to have to preorder and see how I feel about it.

Also my reply from earlier

I agree but I can get a sense of what the switch from a MBP or MBA is like to a MB since I've used the others extensively and whoever is reviewing them will have too so I want to see what it's like making the transition. Whether I'll like it as much or as little as the reviewer and how long it'll take me to adjust will obviously vary for me.

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2013
These are cheat reviews. I know...I work for one of the companies!

They don't have the 12" MB. No-one does. They are creating a "review" from the feedback at launch. You can tell, as all the photos are from the launch event!

I'll add I don't agree with this approach, but the reason these "reviews" are live is for this reason - SEO. Be the first and people spread the "review" as gospel and you get high up the search rankings, quickly. Sad really.

You are wrong. Watch the video review found here: http://youtu.be/gnqYiHCS3Sc.

And here is another: http://youtu.be/gmN7z_nFRlU

The major reviewer's have had their review machines for a few days now. They are using the MacBook in the video, and it's the reviewer using it... So they are not cheating anything...

Elwe

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2006
It looks like the review embargo ended just under an hour ago

Clearly, the review embargo has ended. It looks like at 9:00 or 9:01am PDT (companies, including Apple, can be very particular about this). Not surprising, I guess, given that they would have wanted wall to wall Apple Watch coverage yesterday.

Ars Technica review is up. Verge review is up. And it is clear that they had review units for at least a couple of days.

Edit: Just reading through Ars Technica's review now, and it looks like they had their unit for a bit over a week. If other "major" publications had them for that long, and essentially none of them leak, Apple must have very severe consequences for leaking clauses. Like you will never, ever get another product to review type of clause. Perhaps even financial liability contract type things, if you agree to receive a unit for review in the first place. I would love to see what that language actually is.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
My favorite excerpts from the reviews echo what's been said in these forums.

They've made me excited!

According to the Loop:
People who buy the MacBook aren’t buying it for its expandability, but rather for its other features, namely the size. I don’t have a lot of devices I need to connect to the MacBook, so I’d rather have a smaller laptop with a dongle than carry around a heavier laptop with ports I’m not using 90 percent of the time.

And some excerpts from Macworld:
But the Intel processors in Mac laptops have been so powerful for so long that I’m not sure it matters for most users. I fancy myself a bit of a power user, what with my Photoshop and my Logic Pro, and you know what? I was able to edit a multi-track Logic project on the MacBook just fine. Yes, bouncing the final project to disk took longer than it does on my 5K iMac or even my 2014 MacBook Air, but it still exported.

Similarly, although the MacBook is limited to 8GB of RAM, this seemed sufficient for all of my tasks. If you’re someone who can’t use a laptop if it doesn’t have more than 8GB of RAM, there are better options in Apple’s laptop line—specifically, the MacBook Pro.

I never found using the MacBook sluggish. Then again, I didn’t try to play games on it. But again, if you’re trying to play games on the MacBook, you may be missing the point. The integrated Intel HD Graphics 5300 processor is more than enough to drive the Retina display with no lag, and I found Apple’s various interface animations ran smoothly.

Opting for a tiny, thin laptop doesn’t mean you can’t get your work done. It’s a lesson the 11-inch Air taught me, and the MacBook fits that tale well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.