Hands-On With Apple's New Second-Generation AirPods

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 26, 2019.

1. MatrixRabbit macrumors newbie

WOW I just saw that Apple cancelled it's Wireless Charging Mat future product. Right after selling me "wireless" AirPods? LOL back in the mail they GO. You're telling me 1-2 weeks ago they didn't know that was going to happen?

Missed opportunity to at least sell regular versions with unique colors, improved bass, etc.

This REALLY has to be an April Fools Joke? I'm going to wait until Monday to see.

2. Abazigal macrumors G4

Abazigal

Yup, that’s how it works. It basically lets you activate Siri on your phone without having to double tap on the Airpods.

So for instance, I can be walking home from work listening to a podcast along the way, then go “Hey Siri, call home” or “what song is playing” or “play overcast” or some other command.

3. DNAppleGold macrumors 6502

I too am amazed at how much the no touch “hey Siri” transforms my experience.

On a purely practical basis there are lots of circumstances where it’s hard to tap (or press a button on wired headphones). Waking the dog with a grocery bag in the other hand, riding a bike, wearing a knit cap when it’s cold. The function also gives effectively 3 controls. Left for play/pause, right for next song, plus the no tap hey Siri.

But more than just practical, the no tap function makes the technology practically invisible. It’s feel so free just to call out to make a call or play a song.

This is easy the best implementation of Siri. I’ve had 100% success having Siri respond and a higher than normal success rate at Siri understanding. (Ok that’s a low bar but still). Along with the faster pairing and Siri response time, the whole process is seamless

4. CPTmom2wp macrumors 6502

CPTmom2wp

The charging light is on the outside (original pod case had it on the inside). The light is easily seen even with a cursory glance.

5. Mlbkiwi macrumors newbie

Mlbkiwi

Wireless case not charging

Anybody else have the wireless charging case that will NOT CHARGE when the AirPods are in it. I don’t have a charging pad because I was waiting for Apple to release theirs and that is also why I shelled out for the more expensive wireless charging case version. I can only verify this issue with the plug in. It charges when empty but not when the AirPods are in it. I’ve done a reset and looked everywhere for similar issues but haven’t found it yet.

An

6. Yodameister macrumors newbie

Yodameister

If the Airpods 2 are Bluetooth 5.0 why is there no increase in range? They have the same range as the original AirPods. One of the selling points of Bluetooth 5.0 is increased range(up to 800 feet) from your transmitting device. I cannot find anywhere in the packaging or in the specs that the new Airpods are Bluetooth 5.0. People are reporting they are, but all I see is a reference to the H1 chip. Curious to know.

7. Shanghaichica macrumors G4

Shanghaichica

No it doesn’t. If you have the AirPods in Siri responds through the AirPods. The visual information displays on the phone but the spoken response is via the AirPods. If you have your AirPods in it will even override the HomePod.

8. DNAppleGold macrumors 6502

Ha! Since the phone is always in my pocket when i use they Siri function, i never noticed info displayed on my phone. I’ll add that this is the best implementation of Siri. I’ve had 100% success having Siri respond and a higher than normal success rate at Siri understanding. (Ok that’s a low bar but still). Along with the faster pairing and Siri response time, the whole process is seamless

9. alexhardaker macrumors regular

I tried this when I saw this post, and it worked. However, whenever I try now, I either get a reply saying for these to work with HomePod, they need to be on the same WiFi network- I don’t own a HomePod and my watch and phone are on the same WiFi - or I get a response saying Siri can’t do it. The last time I tried, it played a song I’d never heard of. Does it work every time for you?

10. funkymonkeyboy macrumors regular

Only had these a few months and the left earpod stopped working. Took them back for a refund. Not up to the usual apple standard.

11. grimwanderer macrumors newbie

So you had an issue and Apple took care of it? I understand that it is not ideal but in a mass produced world, the occasional device failure is hardly surprising.

Apple (to me) has always been pretty solid and when things do go wrong (again, only speaking about my experience here) they take care of it.

12. funkymonkeyboy macrumors regular

Yes they did take care of it, as expected, I got a refund which is only right. But I am disappointed as my Bose and other branded headphones have run flawlessly for years and never missed a beat. But the AirPods didn't even last two months, maybe Apple are pushing even themselves here, with a lot of tech in such tiny devices. I can't fault Apple's other devices but I was very shocked at this happening.

13. HeadphoneAddict macrumors 6502a

HeadphoneAddict

When I had an issue like that once, all I had to do was go to bluetooth settings and "forget" the AirPods. Then I reset the AirPods by pressing and holding down the sync button for 15 seconds, and I repaired them to my iPhone and everything has been fine since.

14. funkymonkeyboy macrumors regular

I took them to the Genius Bar and they confirmed that the left earpod was faulty. Would not even show on the battery levels.

15. badbob2019 macrumors newbie

badbob2019

A good parametric equalizer makes a miraculous change to the sound.