Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Awesome

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2016
Idaho, USA
This laptop may not make the most sense for consumers, but it’ll be fantastic for businesses. For employees on the business / engineering / retail side, who don’t need to use Adobe, this is a far cheaper choice that Apple, far more reliable choice than PC, and still hits the mark on battery life, keyboard, trackpad, etc.

“Trackpad”? Seriously? Chromebook trackpads SUCK. And according to the article, this one is no different. The trackpad on my MacBook Pro is one of my favorite things about the computer. You can click anywhere and it’s really responsive.

Reactions: cyb3rdud3

realtuner

Suspended
Mar 8, 2019
Canada
Chromebooks can also run Linux software.. they're real computers.

"Linux (Beta) is a feature that lets you develop software using your Chromebook. You can install Linux command line tools, code editors, and IDEs on your Chromebook"

https://support.google.com/chromebook/answer/9145439?hl=en
I wouldn’t waste my time using a Chromebook to code for Linux. I’d use an actual laptop (or desktop) instead.

Why do people always bring up Linux? It’s not like anyone uses it. Hate to break it to you, but Windows won the desktop OS wars. macOS came in second. Linux is so far behind it’s irrelevant among normal consumers.

Reminds me of people bringing up Linux with Dex, as if I’m going to be doing any development work with a bloody smartphone and keyboard/monitor.

At least we won’t have to worry about “Dex is great because it can run Linux” comments anymore, since Samsung has abandoned Linux on Dex.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I'm still touting a 2013 MacBook Air with 4GB of RAM as my main driver, running the latest Mojave. (Can't quite update to Catalina yet until I'm ready to give up Dashboard's convenience)

I do need a new battery and the internal storage is maxed out, so I'm connected to an external drive most of the time. But this machine does everything that I need it to do otherwise. I'm a web applications developer, so I run a full hosting environment locally, installed via MacPorts and Homebrew. Zero performance issues with this machine, that's 6 years old now!

And regarding the trackpad comparison, my machine still has the "traditional" physical trackpad, which is stellar, but I'm sure the force-touch version is just as good and better in some ways. I've always preferred Apple's trackpads over the competition, which never seem to get it right.
[automerge]1572042483[/automerge]
It can’t run Windows applications, and it can’t run Mac applications. I mean I appreciate hipster stuff, but come on.

Linux is by no means hipster stuff. Most of the internet is powered by Linux servers, even this very website that you're reading right now. Linux has tried to sandwich a user interface on top of its command-line interface, but they still have not matched Apple's success with that (yes, macOS is command-line UNIX operating system first, with a UI layered on top).

Linux is a real operating system with real software, much of which you use every day without even knowing it.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
I replaced my much-hated Samsung Andriod Tablet with a Chromebook.

I love it... Faster, longer battery life, nicer and larger screen, nice trackpad, real keyboard.

Keep in mind it’s a refurb Lenovo I got for $90...

;)

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
MacOS is a niche OS with limited hardware options and software titles. Although some people like it, most people do not care for it.

Why are you here? You're spreading completely false information, for what purpose? Unless you actually believe what you just said? Yes, it's completely false, wrong, in every way. Such viewpoints completely miss all of the software that can be installed at the command-line. Thousands of software packages available to Macs that solve real-world problems. Try to do the same on Windows and it's a pain in the ass. Just ask any website developer. (I'm not talking about IDE's, but running local web environments, natively, for development). There are entire web shops that choose Macs first for this very reason.

falainber

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2016
Wild West
Android Apps are inferior to iOS Apps. We’ve had this discussion before and this has been established as fact.

Android developers are too lazy to optimize for tablet devices. This is why Android tablets are useless except for the most basic tasks. Running non-optimized “blown-up phone Apps” on Chrome is no better than running them on an Android tablet. In fact, it’s worse since there are still compatibility issues and not all of them work properly.

So whether you’re running Android Apps on an Android tablet or a Chromebook with its wannabee OS trying to run those same Android Apps, the end result is still vastly inferior to an iPad.
What's the best torrent app for iOS? iOS does not have any. What about automation apps? Is there anything remotely close to Tasker? It took iOS how many years to get NFC tag writing apps? iOS is missing entire classes of apps. Your examples of superior iOS apps (like Affinity) on the other hand, are pointless because iOS devices are not a proper hardware for this type of apps (with some exceptions for niche use cases).

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
Don’t forget the unlimited and free surveillance and spyware provided by Google.

Of course, if Apple doesn’t get it’s act together on software And crappy keyboards, we may have no choice. At least Google stuff works reasonably.

falainber

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2016
Wild West
Why are you here? You're spreading completely false information, for what purpose? Unless you actually believe what you just said? Yes, it's completely false, wrong, in every way. Such viewpoints completely miss all of the software that can be installed at the command-line. Thousands of software packages available to Macs that solve real-world problems. Try to do the same on Windows and it's a pain in the ass. Just ask any website developer. (I'm not talking about IDE's, but running local web environments, natively, for development). There are entire web shops that choose Macs first for this very reason.
How many web developers are there? 1 millions? Compare this to billions of Windows users. Besides, your argument is outdated by a few years. One can use WSL (Windows Subsystem for Linux) which gives a developer a choice of Linux environments - both client and server ones). This obviously comes with an excellent choice of hardware. MacOS users on the other hand still don't have a proper desktop (essential for any software developer). For every web developers computers how many industrial PCs are there? Even Apple uses Windows PCs for these purposes. And let's not forget PC gaming.

Reactions: gr8hii and Dj64Mk7

NickName99

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2018
MacOS is a niche OS with limited hardware options and software titles. Although some people like it, most people do not care for it.

You can boot any Mac into Windows using Boot Camp. This ChromeBook can’t run Windows or Mac, it’s ridiculously limited. I mean, if you’re a Linux developer who trolls Mac forums, this thing is fine, but who does that?

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Android Apps are inferior to iOS Apps. We’ve had this discussion before and this has been established as fact.

Android developers are too lazy to optimize for tablet devices. This is why Android tablets are useless except for the most basic tasks. Running non-optimized “blown-up phone Apps” on Chrome is no better than running them on an Android tablet. In fact, it’s worse since there are still compatibility issues and not all of them work properly.

So whether you’re running Android Apps on an Android tablet or a Chromebook with its wannabee OS trying to run those same Android Apps, the end result is still vastly inferior to an iPad.

Why I got rid of my Andriod Tablet...

My Chromebook is old so I guess it doesn’t run Andriod apps, don’t miss them anyways.

Reactions: realtuner

realtuner

Suspended
Mar 8, 2019
Canada
What's the best torrent app for iOS? iOS does not have any. What about automation apps? Is there anything remotely close to Tasker? It took iOS how many years to get NFC tag writing apps? iOS is missing entire classes of apps. Your examples of superior iOS apps (like Affinity) on the other hand, are pointless because iOS devices are not a proper hardware for this type of apps (with some exceptions for niche use cases).

Of course you’d bring up niche useless Apps like torrents while dismissing actual powerful and high-end Apps like Affinity. I mean, when that’s all you’ve got I guess you need to play it up, right?

You never heard of Shortcuts on iOS? Or what it can do in iOS 13 with the latest updates?

There are no high-end/powerful Android Apps. Period. And the best that’s available pales in comparison to what’s on the iPad.

But hey, feel free to name the Top 10 Android Apps (phone or tablet). The kind of Apps that can do real work and will stress your processor performance. I bet $$$ you can’t find one that’s better than the iOS equivalent. Not one.

Chrjy

macrumors 65816
May 19, 2010
UK
Of course you’d bring up niche useless Apps like torrents while dismissing actual powerful and high-end Apps like Affinity. I mean, when that’s all you’ve got I guess you need to play it up, right?

You never heard of Shortcuts on iOS? Or what it can do in iOS 13 with the latest updates?

There are no high-end/powerful Android Apps. Period. And the best that’s available pales in comparison to what’s on the iPad.

But hey, feel free to name the Top 10 Android Apps (phone or tablet). The kind of Apps that can do real work and will stress your processor performance. I bet $$$ you can’t find one that’s better than the iOS equivalent. Not one.

I wouldn't bother entertaining him. He's so tech savvy that I'm sure he realises by simply clicking on his username you can see all his other posts trolling Apple. In fact he has 25 pages worth....very sad.

falainber

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2016
Wild West

Apps that stress processor performance are targeted for servers and workstations not for mobile devices. And the top 10 apps are identical on both platforms: facebook, Instagram, WhatsUp, Google maps, MS Office, Chrome (browser), camera, music player, e-mail etc. The example of the app you are looking for is the VR headset apps. iOS does not have those so, obviously, Android version is superior.

Reactions: gr8hii

cylack

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2006
Orlando, FL
I got my MacBook Air for $899 during a flash sale at Best Buy. Best Buy has frequent sales on Apple products, especially around major holidays. Why would anyone who is part of the Apple ecosystem buy a Chromebook, which is a glorified web browser, to save $50?

falainber

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2016
Wild West
I got my MacBook Air for $899 during a flash sale at Best Buy. Best Buy has frequent sales on Apple products, especially around major holidays. Why would anyone who is part of the Apple ecosystem buy a Chromebook, which is a glorified web browser, to save $50?
Because Apple does not offer this type of devices? Being in Apple ecosystem (btw this is a terminology one can find only on Apple centric forums), do you buy Apple refrigerators?

Reactions: Dj64Mk7

Glockworkorange

Suspended
Feb 10, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
Web browser, keyboard and 1080p screen for $900 (I wouldn’t touch the low end)?

No thanks!
[automerge]1572049755[/automerge]
Because Apple does not offer this type of devices? Being in Apple ecosystem (btw this is a terminology one can find only on Apple centric forums), do you buy Apple refrigerators?
It’s so much less of a device for the price.

For 50 bucks more, you can get a nicer machine that does everything a chrome book does and much more in a much nicer package.

What he said made perfect sense. What you’re saying does not. Apple refrigerator? What are you talking about, man?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.