Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Adults needing this, pure sadness.

It is a shame that our society is evolving into one, where many cannot or will not take control of their own life and actions, and have to rely on a gadget to restrain them from themselves.

So do you think fitbits and apple watches are equally sad?

I found the sleep-tracking and step-counting information I gleaned to be fascinating data. You're saying I should have been ashamed of that? Why?

rjp1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2015
I hope some people get use out of it. Meaningless to me.
Why comment then? lol
[doublepost=1528952921][/doublepost]I don't understand the hate. This is awesome as a parent to have. Sure, we'd all like for our kids to be perfect, but in reality this makes it easier for us to set/enforce limits.

curtvaughan

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2016
Austin, TX
Don't know if Apple would actually collect the data, but this could generate a heck of a database for determining how phones are used across various demographics and age brackets. It could also generate detailed data on what activities most affect battery wear. I'd bet Apple will enable such data collection, but give users an "opt out" function.

MistrSynistr

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2014
I can't believe this was seriously presented as a huge feature for iOS12. lol. A babysitter tool to babysit yourself.

How about having some maturity and self reflection to not sit on your phone all day like a dolt? How about teaching your kids properly so they don't become mindless drones?

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I can't believe this was seriously presented as a huge feature for iOS12. lol. A babysitter tool to babysit yourself.

How about having some maturity and self reflection to not sit on your phone all day like a dolt? How about teaching your kids properly so they don't become mindless drones?

Far easier said than done

Newton1600

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2018
They should have gone farther and had the option to actually lock out the apps. Not just for kids.

ramaiguy

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2015
Finally, a /played for iPhone. This is a great idea, and you can see how much effort apple put into this. It looks very powerful right from the outset.

s15119

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
Why comment then? lol
[doublepost=1528952921][/doublepost]I don't understand the hate. This is awesome as a parent to have. Sure, we'd all like for our kids to be perfect, but in reality this makes it easier for us to set/enforce limits.

Simply another data point. That's how conversation works No hate. Just saying I don't find it useful. Your mileage may vary

MikeSweden

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2010
I have 50 employees that I pay phones and services for, I would like an option to get these reports emailed to an email adress of my choice. I would be very interested how they spend their days. Working or playing.

Im probably going to get hateful comments because of this. But people get paid to work, not to play with their phones. What people do after hours its up to them. During business hours, sorry to say, but that is not up to them.

Vjosullivan

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2013
When you set these usage targets, will it notify you if you aren't using your phone enough?

mvereecken

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2014
And apps like this have been available on iOS for a long time as well. It's embedded into the OS now.
They have, but due to iOS restrictions, implementation is always rather weak. Good that Apple takes care of this itself now. Also, 3rd party solutions tend to ask for monthly subscription fees. It's free now :).

Meanwhile, the parental control functions don't work yet, in the beta.
[doublepost=1529050468][/doublepost]
Why comment then? lol
I don't see hate here. That person just said that he doesn't think it's useful... for him/her?
[doublepost=1529050783][/doublepost]

First of all, it's a constant temptation to check Facebook, Instagram,... not only for adults, but also for younger people. Having this amount of distraction: I never experienced it in my youth. These are new times and new challenges. Notifications, and apps are built to make sure we use them as much as possible. The whole system is built on a human weakness. Some of us are very strong and are in self control all the time. Other people tend to get addicted. So it could be useful for some of us.

Also, maybe more important, is the parent feature: we can set restrictions on the usage for the children (not working yetat present in the beta). Believe me, it's a struggle for a lot of parents, to try to minimize screentime.

rjp1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2015
I don't see hate here. That person just said that he doesn't think it's useful... for him/her?
My posts got merged together. I just found it odd that he posted he won't use it. Like why even bother posting? It adds nothing to the discussion.

Suspended
Jul 18, 2009
App Limits is useless because I can’t select a single app, only broad categories! So annoyed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.