Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Hands-On With iOS 14 Widgets, Custom Icons, and Home Screen Setup

Khaleesi Kendall

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2020
Subscriptions for widgets now!? My God. The subscription fatigue is real. Photo editing apps. Streaming services. I can’t. Everyone wants a piece of the pie every month and I’m over it. Bring back one time payments you greedy bastards.
These people do need to make money. Stop being selfish because you want to be cheap.

Comment

Khaleesi Kendall

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2020
Um, you can make money by making a decent app that doesn't function like garbage.
Okay and that’s not at all what he or I was referencing. They are mad because an individual chooses to do recurring payments instead of a onetime payment.

anyone with half a business brain knows that the average joe or Jill would rather pay $3 a month for an app vs 40 upfront. The cheaper price is more appealing. It’s like when contracts were a thing. You’d paid more in the long run to save money at the start.

nobody is talking about app quality. We are talking about being cheap.

Comment

RodSerlingLives

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
I read this as "if Apple wants to maintain control they should give users more freedom" and that makes no sense.

It makes sense. Apple would choose the icon designs, which would cater to their walled garden approach while offering increased personalization options to their customers.

Comment

RodSerlingLives

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
let me guess theese are "magical" "super revolutionary" widgets.
Like what ive had on my droid for 10 years lol
I give them a bit more credit than that. Android widgets are often an afterthought to many app developers on Android. Apple has standardized their widgets and they have a slicker all around feel. They will have much better support from their developers in my opinion. I wish Apple had offered these years ago and I wish Android app developers would pay a bit more attention to their widget offerings.

Comment

adbe

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
The majority of these look like trash. People on Twitter are even starting to make X-rated icons. Apple will quietly shut this down in the next major update.

That's a ridiculous take. You've been able to set your background as something x-rated since mid iOS1.

Apple are not going to break shortcuts, which are there to allow for functional applications, just because you're bothered by other peoples stylistic choices.

Comment

adbe

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
Okay and that’s not at all what he or I was referencing. They are mad because an individual chooses to do recurring payments instead of a onetime payment.

anyone with half a business brain knows that the average joe or Jill would rather pay $3 a month for an app vs 40 upfront. The cheaper price is more appealing. It’s like when contracts were a thing. You’d paid more in the long run to save money at the start.

nobody is talking about app quality. We are talking about being cheap.

At a certain point though people are going to see all those monthly bills on their credit card statement, add them up, and get serious sticker shock. I understand why subscriptions are in fashion for developers, but the market is not going to hold IMHO.

Reactions: m4c1n705h
Comment

jennyp

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2007
The Apple ‘Clock’ widget shows me the wrong time! It’s more than 10 minutes out ! A8A11EF9-F371-44EF-81A2-48B7856EBCD6.jpeg

Comment

Black Magic

macrumors 68020
Sep 30, 2012
Because they already did this crap 10-15 years ago... Its only seen as a big deal because iPhone finally has it... For android users this is all very old news

I get that part. Just saying no android release has generated buzz ever regardless of feature adds.

Comment

The Game 161

macrumors Core
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I get that part. Just saying no android release has generated buzz ever regardless of feature adds.
Mainly Because apple has a huge fan base and media wise get all the attention. On sites like this which is macrumours its bound to get more attention as well. I think it doesn't get as big hype as android has had features for a while so nothing that gets added is ground breaking to them.

Comment

The Game 161

macrumors Core
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Very good point! I forgot about that. Most users have to buy a new phone to get the latest OS.
Android has 3 years of software updates for most part and 4 years of security updates. Updates on android isn't seen as a big deal as more often than not they already have all the big features

Comment

cesko

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2009
Canada
Um, MacRumors, whats with this pop up to download a .js file when viewing the video?
This on an iPad 9.7 inch Pro running iPadOS 14.
1F76E364-C152-4468-9416-DFFD967BEDC0.png

Comment

Khaleesi Kendall

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2020
Android has 3 years of software updates for most part and 4 years of security updates. Updates on android isn't seen as a big deal as more often than not they already have all the big features
Lol that is not true at all and just a poor attempt to try and defend the fact 95 percent of androids don’t get updated.
Outside of a pixel, Samsung and the older nexus, android phones usually launch with the previous generation Os and then it takes ages IF they ever get updated.

I lost my iPhone 11, broke my Xr, and I was able to walk into metro PCs abs buy an iPhone 7. A 4 year old phone that still performs better than today’s mid range android.

Comment

The Game 161

macrumors Core
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Lol that is not true at all and just a poor attempt to try and defend the fact 95 percent of androids don’t get updated.
Outside of a pixel, Samsung and the older nexus, android phones usually launch with the previous generation Os and then it takes ages IF they ever get updated.

I lost my iPhone 11, broke my Xr, and I was able to walk into metro PCs abs buy an iPhone 7. A 4 year old phone that still performs better than today’s mid range android.
Why you comparing iPhone 11 to mid to low range android phones? IPhone 11 is still high end just not pro line... When people talk android they think Samsung, Google, one plus anyway all which will update their phones now on a basics enough for most people.. For me 5-6, years support is great but 3-4 years is more than enough for most people

I wouldn't say phones that are 5-6 years old are suited for new OS updates due to slow downs and battery issues

For me 6s and iPhone 7 won't run that great on the latest OS... As said before android doesn't need the latest OS updates as even then low end androids have features that these iphones still don't have

Comment

Khaleesi Kendall

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2020
Why you comparing iPhone 11 to mid to low range android phones? IPhone 11 is still high end just not pro line... When people talk android they think Samsung, Google, one plus anyway all which will update their phones now on a basics enough for most people.. For me 5-6, years support is great but 3-4 years is more than enough for most people

I wouldn't say phones that are 5-6 years old are suited for new OS updates due to slow downs and battery issues

For me 6s and iPhone 7 won't run that great on the latest OS... As said before android doesn't need the latest OS updates as even then low end androids have features that these iphones still don't have
No I compared an iPhone 7 to midrange androids.

again my 4 year old iPhone performs excellent on iOS 14. My 2 year old one plus is already struggling.

Again, while android may have more features let’s be realistic. The average user doesn’t even use half of said features and most of androids firsts are usually unrefined because google and OEMs throw the kitchen sink in to see what sticks. It’s why google still hasn’t been able to find a true iMessage or FaceTime counterpart and changes direction every 2-3 years. Hangouts. Voice. Duo.
It’s why the first mainstream dual screen phone came out in 2010(the echo) which was terrible and took almost a decade to make somewhat decent.

it’s also why google starting approaching things the apple way by creating the pixel line.

there is good in both but let’s stop trying to defend android lack of update. You technically don’t need to really update past iOS 13. And some won’t. My friend is perfectly content using iOS 11 at the moment.

android is raw power to iOS raw balance. And with iOS 14, iOS is falling into its power where android is SLOWLY learning balance and refinement.

Comment

JGIGS

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2008
CANADA!
Why doesn't android get this type of buzz on releases?

Probably because they've already had these types of features for years. Customization wise it's a pretty mature OS. They need to focus more on reducing OS fragmentation and timely OS updates for non pure android devices

Comment

Obi-WannaDraw

Suspended
Sep 9, 2020
South, East and West of You
This just looks like a cheap dress on a sexy device. Sorry to those excited for it, and I’m sure it will improve, a lil. And I see people STILL posting about how Apple controls everything. Well, I let them, because it’s their hardware and software and it works. We get it, Android is open source, I’ve been there, rooted, customized, designed icons and themed. Along with being a part of the JB community for a long time. It was great, but over it. I say own what you want and do with it what you want. But this doesn’t look good to me.

Reactions: Khaleesi Kendall
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.