Hands On With QuickBoard, a Quick Text Insertion Keyboard Coming to iOS 8

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 26, 2014.

1. Tech198 macrumors G5

Thank god....

That's the kind of thing Google would do.

2. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

So you know iOS is better, but you've never used Android? You're really making quite a case for your opinions.

3. macbookfan macrumors member

Why not just use short cuts?

http://youtu.be/kupaKfm0UUU

4. kevinwo, Aug 26, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2014

kevinwo macrumors newbie

iOS Keyboard Shortcuts are definitely awesome. However, my objective with the TextBoard feature of QuickBoard is to make managing and inserting multi-line text much simpler (e.g. letter templates, signatures, directions, etc.).

Also, as mentioned in the article, TextBoard is just one of three main features. MeBoard helps insert and fill out contact/billing info where autofill is not present. LocationBoard gets your current location and allows you to insert it in quickly as a Google Maps URL, approximate address, or coordinates.

5. di1in macrumors regular

di1in

You can do the same thing in a much easier way on existing and previous OSes by using the built-in text shortcuts on your mac. All those shortcuts are automatically carried over to your iOS device.

6. Alisstar macrumors 6502

Alisstar

I know, I was joking. Hence the ";)"
    My apologies if it wasn't obvious that I was.

7. henzpwnapple macrumors regular

henzpwnapple

Great idea in creating posts for wordpress with shortcodes.. I like it!:rolleyes:

8. cgc macrumors 6502a

9. Vinamra macrumors regular

Vinamra

Forgive me for my ignorance, but with the ability to use 3rd party keyboards in iOS 8, we'll first have to install the app and then grant permissions to the app to be accessed in other apps? If that's the case, Apple better be making 32GB minimum!

10. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

When can it get easier??

When you make the keys larger. Much larger. Pray for 4.7" and 5.5" to fix this!!

11. mdridwan47, Aug 26, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2014

mdridwan47 macrumors 6502

mdridwan47

Yes, But what about security for say when a guest using my ipad and goes to safari and there is.. all my sensitive data in the keyboard. Will there be password system (if so the user desire) for when using text clips?

And I also asked about 'Clipboard' section. So that, any text I copy will be store to a temporary place from where I can easily add it to my 'Permanent' QuickBoard section. What about it? Thanks!

12. Mildredop macrumors 68020

Do Macrumors get paid for these 'infoarticles'?

13. MacBH928 macrumors 68040

MacBH928

I used the HanxWriter , and the bigger keyboard did magic with easier typing. I tried to type like I was using a keyboard and it worked!

May a bigger keyboard is the answer for a better keyboard. Also numbers and common symbols should be on the 1st keyboard not hidden behind the letters

14. Dilster3k macrumors 6502a

Dilster3k

15. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

Tumbleweed666

So if you ever type the word pub and don't mean that don't you then have to unselect or undo this?

In any case once you have more than about 3 things it's hard to remember. I have half a dozen key phrases for texts as abbreviations but it's still a PITA, and I prefer the android equivalent I used to have where you could just call up a list of stock phrases and tap to choose eg "on my way" "be there in 5" "where are you" etc etc without needing to remember abbreviations or undo unwanted substitutions all the time.

----------

What sensitive data? Only what you choose to use in the app. I'm presuming your guest would know your name, phone number and address or at least you wouldn't mind them knowing if you are lending them your iPad?

I think this is a non issue, the contacts app has no password and all that data would be accessible. If there is something really sensitive, say bank account details, you shouldn't put that in in the first place.

16. recoil80 macrumors 68020

The main reason why I'll buy next iPhone is for a larger screen -> larger keyboard.
    I don't think I'll need third party keyboards with the new screen size :)

17. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

I can't believe we're only a couple weeks away from having alternate 3rd party keyboards in iOS... I never thought I'd say the day... :D

18. MentalFloss macrumors 65816

MentalFloss

Yep. When I got my Samsung Galaxy Tab, it took me about 10 minutes after the unboxing to realize that I had to buy a third-party keyboard to do what the iOS keyboard does out of the box, because the Android version supplied with the tablet did not have useable support for Japanese characters.

That is why I am also a bit skeptical about third party keyboards. I don't want Apple to become lazy about maintaining/improving the built-in keyboard, just because now "there is an app for that".

19. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

The drawback of iOS is if Apple doesn't allow a feature you WONT have it. At least with Android you can what you want. I don't mind playing a dollar for a keyboard I really like! Besides, I love the swype keyboard on my GS4. You know, the one Apple is only next month going to implement because they recognize they are again behind.

20. Boston007 macrumors 6502

Boston007

SwiftKey

Is this similar to SwiftKey?

SwiftKey was an app I missed TREMENDOUSLY when I went back to the iPhone.

21. britboyj macrumors 6502a

I use TextExpander, and sincerely hope they bring this feature to iOS. I like having it all synced.

22. 73b macrumors regular

73b

I think it will work like having different languages active at the same time. You use the app to install the keyboard into the iPhone's available "keyboards" menu. After that, the app is no longer necessary, and the keyboard can be activated an accessed through the globe icon.

23. MentalFloss macrumors 65816

MentalFloss

Yep. Heard that argument many times. My counter-argument is: If you can do something, then sooner or later you will have to do it.

And I provided the perfect example. On iOS, I haven't been able to install 3rd party keyboards so far, but I have never felt the need to. On Android, I can install 3rd party keyboards, and within minutes of unpacking my Android tablet, I had to install a 3rd party keyboard. The argument is always that Android gives you a choice, but actually, it didn't. I had no choice. I had to install a 3rd party keyboard.

I get into the same discussion every time when someone complains about not being able to access the file system on iOS devices. True, I can't. But I have never felt that I wanted to. If I could, then sooner or later I'd end up with an app that would force me to do it. What seems like a nice option sooner or later becomes a must. Always.

It took me about an hour to find the keyboard that to a certain extent did what I needed. An hour of my free time that I could have spent with my hobbies or my family. I price one hour of my free time at $100, so don't tell me that this 3rd party keyboard was cheap. It was shockingly expensive! It's cheap only for people who have an abundance of free time and who don't put a high value on their free time. Apple saves me time by giving me less choices and instead something that works well enough out of the box. Could it work even better? Yes. Of course. Stuff like Swype is amazing. But I personally prefer "good enough for me" over "not good enough, but we give you the option to fix it yourself in your own free time".

24. twigman08, Aug 27, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2014

twigman08 macrumors 6502

I guess I really don't understand the full benefit of this? While I certainly see some benefit (like the location), while watching the video and reading the article I feel I can do 90% of this already on my iPhone using Keyboard Shortcuts or something else iOS7 has built into it.

Though I can see some benefit in adding addresses or signatures really quickly. Though for me, I am hardly ever typing the same exact multiline text, and if I do type something the same it usually requires a totally different tone so I wouldn't want to risk of falling into the trap of "copying and pasting" the same information when in the end the tone needed to be different. But I can see this being useful for some people.

25. StyxMaker macrumors 68000

StyxMaker

Short cuts on the keyboard menu works in any app. I type 'add' and it fills in my street address, etc.