Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

name99

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2004
I know it sounds daft but I wish the mini and studio came in colours

Imagine a blue shaded one or gold ?

A black one to match modern av stuff would be great too
You ask, I deliver!
(Honestly I am surprised there are not more of these, given how common and popular iPhone and Airpods covers are as an easy way to customize appearance.)

• Love
Reactions: George Dawes

richinaus

macrumors 68020
Oct 26, 2014
M1 Ultra was at best 40% faster than the Max only in a few very specific situations.
Otherwise single digit in most other things.

Clearly there were issues with software not utilizing it well.

Almost everyone is better off getting the Max.

Not getting hopes up that is rectified yet.
You have to test it in many different real life ways to really see it's issues.
Is this from real life experience as mine begs to differ.

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
If that was the goal, they would simply pull it. Problem solved, migration complete.

A plausible explanation is it is a place holder that can be used by hardware developers to write macOS drivers for PCIe hardware. It would serve the same purpose as the early "developer" Apple silicon minis. When the real thing is released with an M3 SuperDuper, the hardware will be ready and tested for the platform.

That’s one way to do it. Reddit has aptly demonstrated the other way. Just make the price unreasonable and the problem solves itself.

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
Jason Snell did.

And Apple’s specs say the noise has gone from 15dB on the M1 to 6dB on the M2. That’s quite a difference.

Thank you for being the only person so far to point out the answer. Guess I’ll have to add six colors to the RSS reader.

dgdosen

macrumors 68030
Dec 13, 2003
Seattle
Spoken like someone who doesn't have a clue about the actual engineering, and who thinks words matter more than the engineering.

No-one in this space GIVES A FSCK about the words that are used. What matters is upcoming technical details. First GAA, then BSPDN, then ForkFET, then clock on the backside, then CFET. Every one of these is a huge, important, and difficult step forward. And they will be marked by a succession of names like A24, A20, A18 or whatever.

There is NOTHING stopping you from learning enough about the technology to be part of this great adventure, to understand that the significant step in each one of these new names is whatever it is – a new type of transistor, a new way to deliver power, or whatever. But you don't want to do that, do you? You'd rather sneer about "marketing" and how you're not smart enough to be "fooled" (like TSMC cares what you think? are you buying space in TSMC fabs? ) than spend a day educating yourself about one of the most interesting adventures of our time.
Don't sugar coat it like that kid, tell 'em straight.

meboy

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2012
Hmmm .. @User 6502 🤔 Which "professionals" are you referring to? I don't recall protests from professionals disappointed with the performance of the M1 GPU in the devices they typically purchased -- i.e., MacBook Pros with M1 Pro/Max SOCs.

In fact, I recall the opposite: many reviews from professional photographers and videographers endorsing the M1 and extolling the speed (processing, rendering and I/O), efficiency and other virtues of Apple Silicon and hailing the return of the MacBook Pro.

Net-net: The overall conclusion I recall from "professionals" was that the M1 raised the bar for performance and efficiency substantially (so much that it triggered speculation about the potential beginning of the end for Intel). Are you referring to some other type of "professional"?

Nah, the M1 as a desktop CPU was nothing to write home about.
As a mobile CPU yeah it was pretty great but that's not what it was competing with in Studio/desktop form.
The Studio got way over hyped.
Especially after Intel 13th gen was available.
And I really doubt the M2 is going to be a lot different but hope I'm wrong cause I'd like to get one.

mrhick01

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2008
Apple wants to kill the Mac Pro. It doesn’t make sense any other way I can think it out.
Or this can be a placeholder processor for the Mac Pro until they get the engineering for an "Extreme" (x2 or even x4 Ultras) worked out

Reactions: spaz8

henrikhelmers

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2017
Given it's the same process, increased performance should come at thermal cost. Has anyone compared this to the M1 version to see fan speeds and noise levels?

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014
Given it's the same process, increased performance should come at thermal cost.

The design is slightly more efficient, but yes, the process node is the same, so M2 tends to run a bit hotter than M1.

Has anyone compared this to the M1 version to see fan speeds and noise levels?

The M2's Mac Studio supposedly has far better thermals, due to improved thermal design of the case: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...io.2393227/page-4?post=32260726#post-32260726

spaz8

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2007
From what I have seen the $1000 to go from the 60 -> 76 core GPU on the M2 ultra is not worth it. Very little software has been optimized so far to make use of that extra 27% processing power.

MisterOaf

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2023
Quick update on the Unity thing: every version I’ve tried kernel panics and reboots the machine. Even with an empty project. Runs fine (and quiet!) under Parallels though. Think they may need to fix that (and apple silicon support in general) if they’re going to partner with apple on reality pro :rolleyes:.

UE5 flies like the wind - it’s actually usable :)

• Love
Reactions: spaz8
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.