Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

It's been just over a week since Apple introduced a whole line of new Macs at WWDC, including a new 15-inch MacBook Air. We picked up Apple's latest notebook and thought we'd check it out for MacRumors readers who are curious whether it's worth picking up over the 13-inch version of a MacBook Pro.

Apple hasn't offered the MacBook Air in two sizes since the 11-inch MacBook Air was discontinued in 2016. The 13-inch MacBook Air was the sole model until the June introduction of the larger 15-inch option, but with this change, the MacBook Air line is more on par with the MacBook Pro line as there are two sizes for customers to choose from.

Design wise, the 15-inch MacBook Air looks identical to the 13.6-inch MacBook Air that was released last year, with the exception of the larger display and larger chassis size. The 2022 design works well on a 15-inch machine, and the 15-inch MacBook Air is sleek, thin, and pleasant to use.

The 15-inch model features a 2888 x 1864 resolution with 224 pixels per inch, which is the same pixels per inch you get with the 13-inch MacBook Air. It's also 500 nits brightness and doesn't have the ProMotion technology that Apple continues to reserve for the MacBook Pro line.

In addition to using the same design as the 13.6-inch MacBook Air, the 15-inch model also has the same chip inside. It's equipped with the M2 chip that Apple introduced last year, so it's already just a bit outdated. The M2 chip is speedy enough with an 8-core CPU, 10-core GPU, and 8GB memory for the base model, but we may see notable gains with the future M3 chip, for those who want to wait for newer chip technology.

A bigger body allows for a bigger battery in the 15-inch MacBook Air, but unfortunately battery life is still at 18 hours because of the power usage of the larger display.

For those who don't need the power of a MacBook Pro but appreciate a larger screen size, the 15-inch MacBook Air is the perfect machine. It's cheaper than a MacBook Pro at a $1,299 starting price, and a solid alternative to the 13-inch model.

If you have any kind of recent MacBook Air or MacBook Pro, it's probably not worth updating at this point, but if you have an older Intel Mac or need to get a new notebook, the 15-inch MacBook Air is worth considering if larger display size is a feature you're looking for.

Article Link: Hands-On With the New 15-Inch MacBook Air

Eric_WVGG

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2016
gentrification fallout zone
Despite the interview at Tom's Guide, I have a pretty strong hunch that the additional power requirements are due to the additional GPU cores over the 13" Air, not the screen itself.

After all, the additional battery size in the Pro Max more than covers the additional screen size.

RAS2MR

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2021
Looks nice, but I still personally prefer the 13" MBA for its compact size/weight and would opt for the 16" MBP if I wanted a larger/better screen and/or more power. I imagine this 15" MBA will see pretty well...Even with its fingerprints I do prefer the midnight blue color, I guess I'm just not OCD enough to have the fingerprints be the determining factor.

Orange Bat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2021
Am I the only person who doesn’t like the Midnight color? I bought the boring ol’ Space Gray.

After playing with it for a couple of hours, I really, really like this form factor, especially over the wedge, which I’ve never liked. So far I think it’s a very nice machine. In my brief time with it I checked out a couple of big projects I’m working on and the are running just as good as on my desktop. So far, so good.

Last edited:

iModFrenzy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2015
Kamino
Am I the only person who doesn’t like the Midnight color? I bought the boring ol’ Space Gray.

After playing with it for a couple of hours, I really, really like this form factor, especially over the wedge, which I’ve never liked. So far I think it’s a really nice machine. In my brief time with it I check out a couple of big projects I’m working on and the are running just as good as on my desktop. So far, so good.
I got sick of space grey and chose silver for my 14”, love how it looks like my 2006 MBP just thinner. And the wedge was always ugly to me, at the time it made sense but now it seems like Apple can have both thinness and uniformity

Leon Ze Professional

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2021
Good to see Apple have hit the mark with the MBA 15 form factor for the general consumer. It's about time a larger screen variant is available.

The M2 SOC with 10 GPU cores is good, I know, I know the M3 will be better and more efficient. It's great it has a 6 speaker system, closer to the quality of the Macbook Pro 14 inch and has Bluetooth 5.3.

All advantages over the MBA 13.

Orange Bat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2021
I got sick of space grey and chose silver for my 14”, love how it looks like my 2006 MBP just thinner. And the wedge was always ugly to me, at the time it made sense but now it seems like Apple can have both thinness and uniformity
LOL! I’m sick of silver which is why I got space gray. I’ve always had a silver Mac, never a different color.

Reactions: sfkeepay and uller6

128KMac

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2004
I’m still on a 2019 Intel based 13” Pro … I am sure the power is more than enough, it is ports I crave, and maybe with a mag-safe type power connection plus two more ports it might work for me. Gonna check out the size factor now that it is in Apple stores.

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
Back when they debuted the 13" MBA M2, I immediately went and configured a 16/512 Midnight so that when preorders went live, it was a 2-click-and-out scenario. I have long-wanted a dark navy Apple laptop (or iPhone). After all, navy is the new black. 🤪

Fast forward to the night before preorder window opened: having read some hands-on reviews where literally 100% of the reviews mentioned the smudge magnet that was the Midnight option, I quickly configured a Starlight with the idea I'd make the it a game-time call. I was torn... Apple had finally made a dark navy laptop. But my OCD would not do well with constantly rubbing finger prints off. So Starlight? Who picks Starlight??? Well, when the preorder window opened, guess what I ordered? Yep, Starlight. And I have to say... It's a really fresh aesthetic. I'm surprised at how much I like it. And the finger printing? Haven't noticed a single one. to say that I really like it.

I wanted to share that little nugget for anyone on the fence about that sort of thing. Otherwise, I'm really glad to see a 15" MBA come to fruition. For those jumping in, enjoy!

Last edited:

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
Back when they debuted the 13" MBA M2, I immediately went and configured a 16/512 Midnight so that when preorders went live, it was a 2-click-and-out scenario. I have long-wanted a dark navy Apple laptop (or iPhone). After all, navy is the new black. 🤪

Fast forward to the night before preorder window opened: having read some hands-on reviews where literally 100% of the reviews mentioned the smudge magnet that was the Midnight option, I quickly configured a Starlight with the idea I'd make the it a game-time call. I was torn... Apple had finally made a dark navy laptop. But my OCD would not do well with constantly rubbing finger prints off. So Starlight? Who picks Starlight??? Well, when the preorder window opened, guess what I ordered? Yep, Starlight. And I have to say... It's a really fresh aesthetic. I'm surprised at how much I like it. And the pitting? haven't noticed a single one. to say that I really like it.

I wanted to share that little nugget for anyone on the fence about that sort of thing. Otherwise, I'm really glad to see a 15" MBA come to fruition. For those jumping in, enjoy!
I haven’t decided color yet - yes Starlight is nice, I picket it to my iPad Mini.
I will think about it, because I've aimed for Midnight, but haven’t been sure about that either.

I have a 2018 MBA, Intel, and I'm about to buy an upgrade fairly soon.
When I feel this is it, that's it.
Nothing hooked me up latest event. Not desperate, the MBA I have have no trouble at all.
It will update to Sonoma too.
I could go buy a 13" now, the 15" is too big for me, and I have no heavy things occurring on the MBA.
And I will definitely be happy to get a silicon MBA and ditch the Intel.
But some more options might come… to the fall?

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2008
Can I ask a favor macrumors. Literally THE thing that differentiates this computer from others and the reason that you buy it is the screen size. So can we get some comparisons of the 15" Macbook Air SCREEN next to other laptops doing things that actually take advantage of a large screen (ie showing a single small window in the center of the screen or a screen saver is not helpful). I'd love to see a comparison of the 15", 14" and 13" viewing 2 documents by side for example. I think a lot of people are wondering if the screen size of the 15" is significant enough to warrant either A) spending more money over the 13" MBA, or B) giving up the better specs and ports of the 14" MBP.

Just a suggestion for the full video review.

nikhsub1

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2007
mmmm... jessica.'s beer...
Can I ask a favor macrumors. Literally THE thing that differentiates this computer from others and the reason that you buy it is the screen size. So can we get some comparisons of the 15" Macbook Air SCREEN next to other laptops doing things that actually take advantage of a large screen (ie showing a single small window in the center of the screen or a screen saver is not helpful). I'd love to see a comparison of the 15", 14" and 13" viewing 2 documents by side for example. I think a lot of people are wondering if the screen size of the 15" is significant enough to warrant either A) spending more money over the 13" MBA, or B) giving up the better specs and ports of the 14" MBP.

Just a suggestion for the full video review.
So I have both the 15" and the 13" - I just took a picture of both, with the same firewall interface setup that I manage. The layout is supposed to be 4 modules across. The 13" can't do it and it truncates the interface, which is useable but annoying. The 15" displays it exactly as it should be.

IMG_1380.jpeg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.