Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A decade ago, developer Riley Testut released the GBA4iOS emulator for iOS, and since it was against the rules at the time, Apple put a stop to downloads. Emulators have been a violation of the App Store rules for years, but that changed on April 5 when Apple suddenly reversed course and said that it was allowing retro game emulators on the App Store.

With official support available for emulators, Testut this morning released his latest emulator, Delta, on the App Store. Unlike the other two emulators that have been released in the last week, Delta is incredibly polished and provides an all-around pleasant gameplay experience.

Delta supports game systems that include the NES, SNES, Nintendo 64, Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance, and Nintendo DS. Skins for the different systems load automatically depending on what's being played, and the app does an excellent job making you feel like you're playing on a retro Nintendo device.

It is worth noting that Delta is such a great emulator because it is not, in fact, new. It has been able to be installed on iPhone using alternate installation means, but the App Store is a much more streamlined way to get it. Delta is the must have emulator, at least for NES content.

Delta's on-screen controls work flawlessly for games, but it is also compatible with a wide range of retro and modern game controllers. It supports save and load states, and content can be synced between devices. There are also advanced features like support for Game Genie and GameShark cheat codes, a hold button, and fast forward for speeding through slow parts of games.

When you import a game, Delta automatically detects the appropriate box art, and there is support for 3D Touch and app icon shortcuts for accessing recent and favorite games.

There are no games included with Delta when you install it, but it can open zipped files that are uploaded to iCloud Drive, Dropbox, or Google Drive. Apple's App Store rules permit "retro game console emulator apps" and Apple says that developers are required to ensure that their software complies with "all applicable laws."

If you haven't downloaded Delta already, it's well worth going to pick it up. We're not expecting Delta to get pulled from the App Store, but there's always the possibility that Nintendo could protest now that it's more widely available, so download it sooner rather than later.

Article Link: Hands-On With the New App Store Delta Game Emulator

Reactions: HyperFlow

Blackstick

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2014
OH
Productivity is going down today...

Attachments

• tempImageInmeCZ.png
    tempImageInmeCZ.png
    822.1 KB · Views: 568

mukiex

macrumors member
May 31, 2016
Real talk, in the mobile space, emulation is typically the closest you're gonna get to an engaging traditional game experience.

Apple's kind of burned traditional gaming down to the ground since day one, when they decided games shouldn't be more than a dollar and basically made it impossible to ever find a good game.

That 100% of their RE Framework games have been bought and paid for by Apple, and that Capcom has ported literally 0 other games on the same framework to iOS, really speaks volumes.

GeneralChang

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2013
Real talk, in the mobile space, emulation is typically the closest you're gonna get to an engaging traditional game experience.

Apple's kind of burned traditional gaming down to the ground since day one, when they decided games shouldn't be more than a dollar and basically made it impossible to ever find a good game.

That 100% of their RE Framework games have been bought and paid for by Apple, and that Capcom has ported literally 0 other games on the same framework to iOS, really speaks volumes.
This is honestly depressingly true. Even if you're on the "don't pull roms off your old cartridges" train Nintendo wants you on, there are actually still tons of devs making fun little indie games that run on these platforms. It's worth checking out.

HouseLannister

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2021
Where do you get roms?
Why you make your own using dumps of cartridges you own, of course. I don't think there is any other way to do it.

Strangely here in the UK the link works but I can’t find it when I search for it directly in the App Store
Not easy to find here in the US either. It was buried under a billion apps for airlines since it has awful SEO. As it gains popularity, it will probably get easier to search for.

Serious question: the box art detection. Where does it get the artwork from? That's probably the only thing Nintendo could act on from a legal standpoint, right?

Sevendaymelee

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2016
I have all the real systems, all the real carts and an actual CRT to play them on, so this means absolutely nothing to me. Even if I didn't have the aforementioned, I still wouldn't care because playing them on a tiny smart phone with touch controls would be about as fun (for me) as trying to twist a screw into an un-drilled plank of solid ebony with a butter knife.

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
It is a real shame this is behind the paywalled "Alt store", and not on the EU app store,. I really don't like this future of having to install tens of different app stores.
Great app though. Apple should've allowed this earlier.

I have a separate ID for the purpose of installing apps only available in specific regions. Easy to do from the create an Apple ID page. I have a German one, a US one and an Australian one (they often get apps first as public beta „testers“ to test the waters)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.