Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

james2538

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
The Series 8 had 2 features. This one at least has like, 5.

Series 8
  • Crash Detection [A feature you never want to use]
  • Thermometer w/ Cycle Tracking
Series 9
  • DoubleTap
  • First brightness increase since the series 2 (2000 nits), and lower brightness floor (1 nit)
  • S9 (On Device Siri, 25% faster dictation)
  • 64GB of storage
  • New Ultra Wideband chip (HomePod, iPhone finding)
I’m whelmed.

Series 8 also added Bluetooth 5.3 and the more sensitive accelerometer/gyroscope.

Both are really disappointing updates in themselves. It seems like a 2-year cycle would work better for the AW.

For the Series 9 I was really hoping we'd see more features from the Ultra trickle down, at the very least I thought with the chip update we'd see either better battery life or newer than 802.11n WiFi.

zach-coleman

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2022
Series 8 also added Bluetooth 5.3 and the more sensitive accelerometer/gyroscope.

Both are really disappointing updates in themselves. It seems like a 2-year cycle would work better for the AW.

For the Series 9 I was really hoping we'd see more features from the Ultra trickle down, at the very least I thought with the chip update we'd see either better battery life or newer than 802.11n WiFi.
I was really hoping for dual band GPS.

Gengar

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2022
Kanto Region
Those Nike bands are indeed hideous. I went ahead and ordered the Ultra 2 just so it will match the Natural Titanium 15 Pro Max I plan on pre-ordering this Friday.

Reactions: DotCom2

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
Design 1: 0,1,2,3
Design 2: 4,5,6
Design 3: 7,8,9

View attachment 2260475
With a black background (most watch faces) the diff between 2 and 3 is pretty minimal save the slightly rounded corners.

Hoping a proper redesign comes with Series X next year. IMO they need to bring back a focus to fashion/elegant design and make it look less gadget-y. Save that for the enthusiast crowd with the Ultra.

zach-coleman

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2022
With a black background (most watch faces) the diff between 2 and 3 is pretty minimal save the slightly rounded corners.

Hoping a proper redesign comes with Series X next year. IMO they need to bring back a focus to fashion/elegant design and make it look less gadget-y. Save that for the enthusiast crowd with the Ultra.
WatchOS 10 makes it way more noticeable. Lots more colored backgrounds and use of corners. I too hope next year brings a redesign and battery bump though.

Reactions: Dulcimer

3rdiguy

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2012
As much as I am disappointed I also am relieved. I get the opportunity to practice keeping what I have(13PM & Series 6) and being okay with that. No FOMO whatsoever.

Reactions: LilBoo and drumcat

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Design 1: 0,1,2,3
Design 2: 4,5,6
Design 3: 7,8,9

View attachment 2260475

Well that certainly proves it.

At least watches look relevant in regards to aesthetics for longer. That’s got to help reduce the urge people have to upgrade so often. Mine in 4 years old now and thankfully I kept it this long because nothing has come out that tempted me.

Johnny907

macrumors 68020
Sep 20, 2014
Yeah there’s no reason to upgrade my 8. Maybe if they improved cellular connection or something, but with WatchOS woefully underutilizing the currently available resources, and fewer and fewer Apple Watch Apps being available, there just no reason to upgrade frankly.

Johnny907

macrumors 68020
Sep 20, 2014
The Series 8 had 2 features. This one at least has like, 5.

Series 8
  • Crash Detection [A feature you never want to use]
  • Thermometer w/ Cycle Tracking
Series 9
  • DoubleTap
  • First brightness increase since the series 2 (2000 nits), and lower brightness floor (1 nit)
  • S9 (On Device Siri, 25% faster dictation)
  • 64GB of storage
  • New Ultra Wideband chip (HomePod, iPhone finding)
I’m whelmed.
Double Tap isn’t new. It’s existed since watchOS 8.3 in the Accessibility menu.

That Apple has to pretend this is a new feature exclusive to the 9 shows just how much of a nothing burger this update is.

Smartwatchlover

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2017
Rome
Double Tap isn’t new. It’s existed since watchOS 8.3 in the Accessibility menu.

That Apple has to pretend this is a new feature exclusive to the 9 shows just how much of a nothing burger this update is.

Agreed.
What drives me nuts is that the specialized press will take only a few minutes to highlight this, making in a way that the whole presentation of the AW9 is then perceived like a sh*tshow.

IMO the only selling point of the AW9 (for those that owns older models) is the new chip that will ensure several years of longevity.

Reactions: Ahmamies

Ahmamies

Cancelled
Oct 13, 2020
Not upgrading the watch or phone this year. Series 7 will last another year and so will my 13 Pro Max.
I am kind of hoping that my Series 4 would die already, but the things just keeps going. I am positively surprised that the device I use/wear 16 hours per day is still alive after 5 years. Unlike the AirPods Pro and ATV 4K that both died after 2+ years.

If my S4 dies before the S10 I know that I will be happy with the S9.

I have been also super happy with my 13 Pro and don't see any reason to update yet.

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2018
A new chip should be more energy efficient. We should’ve gotten at least 1 hour of extra battery life? Right? Weird.
I assume the new 2x brightness on the display is a big part of no improvements to battery life.

And it is actually quite impressive if it’s 2x bright but still gets the same battery life.

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2018
Agreed.
What drives me nuts is that the specialized press will take only a few minutes to highlight this, making in a way that the whole presentation of the AW9 is then perceived like a sh*tshow.

IMO the only selling point of the AW9 (for those that owns older models) is the new chip that will ensure several years of longevity.
Considering past AW upgrades, I’m actually not so sure AW 10 will have upgrades to the SiP.

Apple has altered AW design and display in the past without changing the SiP. Since S9 is an actual SiP upgrade, we might not get a new SiP upgrade until 3-4 years from now in AW Series 11 or 12.

Leakers love to hype AW 10 to get clicks. Bu I’m still not convinced Apple will go crazy with it, especially since it’s most likely not going to hit the $799 the Ultras bring in.

Reactions: arkitect
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.