Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TurboPGT!

Suspended
Sep 25, 2015
1. The Siri face is fantastic. Using it daily, last watch face I'll ever use, until they make a better one.

2. The more they embrace the digital crown for scrolling, the better the watch becomes. The new dock, the new Apps list, etc. etc. Keep going with that Apple. The digital crown is what I should be using for scrolling, period. Never via touch. Leave touch for taps and force touch.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I have been marking time waiting on the Apple Watch to catch up with my Suunto Ambit3 watch, in regards to battery life and fitness accuracy (running related). Unless I am missing some major key points, the Apple Watch with new OS features etc. continues to be an expensive novelty watch.

From what I have read on the forum, the AW would do well to make it to the end of a marathon race. That is terrible.

Apple should have been ashamed for marketing a Toy Story watch face. As if that is going to help sell a $400.00+ watch.
I have a colleague who bought an Apple Watch because she loved the Minnie Mouse Watch face so much. Just saying.

Reactions: jhwalker

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
I have a colleague who bought an Apple Watch because she loved the Minnie Mouse Watch face so much. Just saying.
When I hang out with my nieces, they insist on changing my watch face to Mickey or Minney so they can make them talk. Lately the younger one wants to make Minney's dress color match whatever watch band I'm wearing. I don't normally use Mickey/Minney myself, because they make it difficult to read the time quickly, and don't impart enough other information.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
If that makes her happy, that is all that matters. I need more than a Mickey watch face. Maybe the next release will be something that really catches my attention. If I was a casual runner, (30 mins a day) my mindset would be different and the Apple Watch (as it is now) would probably fit the proverbial bill for me.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
When I hang out with my nieces, they insist on changing my watch face to Mickey or Minney so they can make them talk. Lately the younger one wants to make Minney's dress color match whatever watch band I'm wearing. I don't normally use Mickey/Minney myself, because they make it difficult to read the time quickly, and don't impart enough other information.

No doubt, but my colleague evidently doesn't care. I personally don't see myself using any of these cartoon Watch faces myself, but I think as much tech savvy users, that sometimes blinds us to the trends which appeal more to the average consumers.

If Apple can devote some time out of an already crammed WWDC session to talk about toy story Watch faces over so many other features they couldn't cover, there's probably a good reason for that.

Reactions: Sunny1990

fyun89

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2014
I seriously need to be able to connect to Wifi manually.. Please everyone send this suggestion to Apple...

I want to be able to use my watch without a need for a phone near by some times.

Mtmspa

Suspended
May 13, 2013
I have been marking time waiting on the Apple Watch to catch up with my Suunto Ambit3 watch, in regards to battery life and fitness accuracy (running related). Unless I am missing some major key points, the Apple Watch with new OS features etc. continues to be an expensive novelty watch.

From what I have read on the forum, the AW would do well to make it to the end of a marathon race. That is terrible.

Apple should have been ashamed for marketing a Toy Story watch face. As if that is going to help sell a $400.00+ watch.

If it takes you a day or two to run a marathon, then that is correct. Novelty watch? Are you just a Apple hater or uninformed?

Reactions: NukeDuke

EightyTwenty

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2015
So they are still selling this stupid product? Until this thing can be used without being tethered to a phone, it is utterly redundant and useless.

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
No doubt, but my colleague evidently doesn't care. I personally don't see myself using any of these cartoon Watch faces myself, but I think as much tech savvy users, that sometimes blinds us to the trends which appeal more to the average consumers.

If Apple can devote some time out of an already crammed WWDC session to talk about toy story Watch faces over so many other features they couldn't cover, there's probably a good reason for that.

The kids that grew up on Toy Story are in the workforce now... my guess is Apple is targeting millenials with this watchface... it's the Mickey mouse of their generation.

Reactions: Ajones330

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

You're certainly entitled to your opinion on the Apple Watch, but your choice of words with "Novelty" is highly subjective. I think the Apple Watch goes beyond being just a fitness tracker and only the user decides how the Watch benefits them in whichever way it can. Now, if that means it's for notifications to allow the iPhone to not be tethered to us all the time or if it's used to control various Home automation, it will serve everyone differently. However, I also feel the Apple Watch offers many capabilities where it also appeals to everyone differently, because not everyone will use it the same.

The Toy Story Watch faces are not my preference either and it's evident many Watch owners are seeking additional Watch faces. But a Toy story Watch face won't stop the Apple Watch from selling either. The customization with the Apple Watch is the strongest point with the bands and changing the Watch faces. Even though the Watch faces are limited in numbers, the complications, colors and individuality to each Watch face makes it unique on its own.

As far as fitness tracking with the Apple Watch, it's one of the best fitness Watches I have used. It's very accurate in data recording and the battery life is suited for most who use it everyday. I couldn't ask for more from the Apple Watch in this category. Apple did an excellent job with the various workout categories and the heart rate Monitor has been accurate enough to know where I currently stand.

Spendlove

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2015
Cambridge UK
I love my Watch generation 0. It keeps getting better with each WatchOS upgrade but I am not sure it will be enhanced by Toy Story watch faces :( now that was an awkward part of the presentation.

Come on Apple, lets have a watch face store with curated designs. Surely it is 'time' for that.

Edit.

I noticed on the video that there still isn't continuous scrolling when using the digital crown - why not? If you are going to make a rolodex style app flow then at least make it flow continuously. Why skip backwards and forwards? Make it seamless.

M051102

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2015
It ok however timmy coko need to go to the workshop and beat the apple engineers with a whip or similar instrument so they could innovate more. Thats what jobs was doing

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
I seriously need to be able to connect to Wifi manually.. Please everyone send this suggestion to Apple...

I want to be able to use my watch without a need for a phone near by some times.

I sent some feedback about wi-fi.
They don't support 802.1X and that's a pity. Many corporate wi-fi networks are 802.1X, so AW is basically useless in a corporate environment. If you walk too far from your iPhone you lose connectivity and you stop receiving notifications.
So what's the point of wearing the AW if you have to bring your iPhone with you all the time?
Let's wait for watchOS 5

And by the way, I haven't installed the beta yet since I like to have stable software on the devices I use daily, but I read many reviews.
I wouldn't say I'm disappointed, but I think watchOS is the one together with tvOS that didn't receive too much attention during WWDC and didn't bring many features.
I think watchOS 3 is good, great battery life and third party apps are improved, so I didn't expect much from watchOS 4, but still no podcast app and no third party watch faces.

Last edited:

Duncan-UK

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2006
So they are still selling this stupid product? Until this thing can be used without being tethered to a phone, it is utterly redundant and useless.

A little harsh methinks. For me the killer app is being able to control the music player on my phone remotely. The phone can then stay in my jacket pocket on my commute whilst i navigate using the watch.

I just hope the changes to the dock make it easier to get to the music screen. The last update made it more difficult and I find myself inadvertently swiping to a different watch face.

On the subject of watch faces, did anybody else find the senior apple people gushing like schoolgirls over the new watch faces embarrassing? There's such a streak of immaturity on display at these keynotes, combined with a finger-wagging hectoring tone about the fitness apps.

ElCidRo

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2010
In regards to heart rate accuracy, I would like to compare it to my Suunto watch and HR strap. I also like the color screen.

Well sorry, but that doesn't make any sense. Of course the HR strap has better accuracy, but you can use the very same HR strap with the AW. So how is that an advantage of the Suunto?

You also decry the fact that the AW isn't suited for the very niche use of running an ultra marathon. Every tech product is a balance of trade-offs. Apple won't gimp the battery just so ultra marathon runners are pissed off with them. They try to create a package that would appeal to as many people as possible - so they have to balance battery life, size, screen quality, included sensors, CPU power draw etc etc etc.

Reactions: dugbug and bobob

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
In regards to battery life, I have read many reviews stating it will only last about 5hrs with GPS on during a run, biking etc. For the average runner, 5 hrs is more than enough time. For someone like me, who is an ultra runner, 5hrs of battery life with GPS on during a run is not enough, as I run 5+ hours nonstop during my weekend training. It also doesn't show max heart rate, cadence, and a few other graphing charts that many of us runner like to see, if I remember correctly.

In regards to heart rate accuracy, I would like to compare it to my Suunto watch and HR strap. I also like the color screen.

Different tools for different jobs, the Sunnto is large and robust/bulky to give it better battery life for its primary function fitness tracking over a longer period of time but its 'smart' features are secondary features. There are better less bulky watches from Polar which do a better job and feel less like a tumour on your wrist too but they cost a little bit more.

Last edited:
Reactions: dugbug
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.