Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Hands-On With watchOS 7's Sleep Tracking, Watch Face Sharing and Handwashing Monitor

Vjosullivan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2013
Why can't they just allow custom faces... allow devs to make custom faces. Approve them just the same way as you do apps, so there's no blatant copyright infringement of brand names.
Apple are not going to put themselves in a position where there approve a watch face that is later deemed to be a copyright infringement. The comparison with brand names fails because text comparison is infinitely simpler than artistic comparison.

CarlJ

macrumors 603
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
I expect the same AI that is used for widget stacks on iOS will let watch faces change automatically in watchos8.
This would be a nice follow-on to the “Siri” watch face, that displayed varying bits of information throughout the day. It was nice at first, but they never kept it up to date, and never refreshed it for the larger watches (and after using a timer a few times it kept using one of the few slots available to offer me a chance to start a timer - essentially an ad for a timer - no, dangit, show the timer or stopwatch if I have one running, but otherwise show me more relevant information - not “I can’t tell you when the sun sets because you might want to start a timer sometime”). I’m hoping that their new system makes smarter decisions about what to show.

cmaier

macrumors Core
Jul 25, 2007
California
This would be a nice follow-on to the “Siri” watch face, that displayed varying bits of information throughout the day. It was nice at first, but they never kept it up to date, and never refreshed it for the larger watches (and after using a timer a few times it kept using one of the few slots available to offer me a chance to start a timer - essentially an ad for a timer - no, dangit, show the timer or stopwatch if I have one running, but otherwise show me more relevant information - not “I can’t tell you when the sun sets because you might want to start a timer sometime”). I’m hoping that their new system makes smarter decisions about what to show.
With shortcuts support, too, would make it easy to do lots of stuff. “When i get to work, show me this face. If I’m at the gym, do that. When the markets close, switch to this. When the beloved NY Mets are playing, show this face.”

Reactions: CarlJ

jaworskimatt

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2019
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Yes this is so frustrating! I don't understand why in 2020 they can't put a large digital time right in the middle of the watch face with small complications around it. This was something they did at the beginning of digital watches with the time in the middle and things like the date that is smaller above it on the edge of the screen. The modular watch face is the closest that I found to this (on Series 3) but you can't put the time in the middle in a large font. It is forced to be on the top right in a smaller font.

If there is current watch face that does this please let me know.
image.jpg

The only one that looks like this is the Nike Hybrid, but as far as I understand it’s not available on all watches. Also, it ain’t pretty 😬

Black Belt

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2007
California
How can you have Watch faces on the app store and not allow custom watch faces? Then what watches are on the app store?!?! Aren't they programmed watch faces???? Makes no sense. I want to program my own watch FACE, not just complications.

cmaier

macrumors Core
Jul 25, 2007
California
How can you have Watch faces on the app store and not allow custom watch faces? Then what watches are on the app store?!?! Aren't they programmed watch faces???? Makes no sense. I want to program my own watch FACE, not just complications.
There aren’t watch faces on the App Store.

jezbd1997

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2015
Melbourne Australia
Why can't they just allow custom faces... allow devs to make custom faces. Approve them just the same way as you do apps, so there's no blatant copyright infringement of brand names.

Watch Face sharing seems so utterly stupid as an idea. They're grasping at straws, literally. The "new" faces they keep introducing are ridiculous for most people.
I have no real issues with the included faces. It keeps it more formal I feel too, than if they were to open it up to anyone.
Not to mention the issues we’d have like extra battery drainage and more bugs from third parties...

Gentile

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2007
Ohio
View attachment 929525

The only one that looks like this is the Nike Hybrid, but as far as I understand it’s not available on all watches. Also, it ain’t pretty 😬
Something like that would be ok as the time is easy to see with small complications around it. Like you said it is not the prettiest. I think this is only available on Series 5.

JannisN

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2018
The hand washing is not enabled yet correct...? I’ve never had it activate lol

You have to activate it yourself on your watch under Settings -> Handwashing. After that, the detection should work.

I tried it for a little bit but then turned it off. I like the idea, but it often triggers when either I'm not actually washing my hands, or when I'm just quickly rinsing something off. I'd rather wish there would be an option to only trigger it when approaching home, for example.

Reactions: GregJohn

Average Pro

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2013
Cali
Apple purchased Beddit back in 2017. So now they have a (1) sleep monitor (under Bedtime on iPhone), (2) Beddit App (iPhone and watch) and (3) Sleep Tracking (watch).

Dear Apple, can we consolidate all of these into one App?

cmaier

macrumors Core
Jul 25, 2007
California
Apple purchased Beddit back in 2017. So now they have a (1) sleep monitor (under Bedtime on iPhone), (2) Beddit App (iPhone and watch) and (3) Sleep Tracking (watch).

Dear Apple, can we consolidate all of these into one App?
I’m sure they never thought of that.

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
Ain't this the topic of whiners, damn. One of the core features of the Apple Watch is health tracking and telling you to get your lazy ass out of the couch and fill those circles as it tracks your steps, movements, heart rate, etc. And then I see people thinking the sleepdata is useless and that the watch shouldn't act as an annoying parent. It has been doing that since day 1, so if you hate that, why for the love of God have you ever bought one?! Enlighten me what you do with your steps data? Are you getting annoyed everytime the watch tells you it's time to stand up? Next up is someone ranting that there's no watch face without a clock on it. And it's beta 1... Who knows what will change in the coming months...

PS It's not because you don't use a feature, that it's utterly useless. Try to imagine that other people use other features.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
Sleep tracking is - meh
Hand wash reminder is -meh
Wach Face sharing is (you guessed) - meh.
There are other 'meh' on Watch OS 7 not worth mentioning.
Clearly, Apple's main focus this year has been iOS 14 and Mac OS 11.

anodibu

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2013
Sleep tracking battery drain isn't too bad, and in our experience it drained about 30 percent throughout the night, something that Apple may be able to improve over the beta testing period.
30 percent? My sleep tracking with AutoSleep drains less than 10 percent (now at 10 am it is still 91%). I charge my watch right before going to sleep and it gets me easily through the day. If it starts to drain 30 percent however.

xDKP

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
WatchOS 7 was the most disappointing part of the keynote because it’s such an immature OS compared to iOS or macOS, but they added nothing I’d even consider using. No custom/third party watch faces, no iPhone independence, nothing even marginally interesting. Just more “features” that nag you like the parents of a disobedient toddler.

Sad and I feel the same way... Was actually looking most forward to WatchOS for additional running feature (at the very least a intervals mode for speed running), better data in the workout (now fitness) app (like best ever 5K, 10K and other records like all other platforms and FACES! It just seems like a massive missed opportunity with this watch. Like some of the auto manufactures switching to full digital dash in cars, but with zero customisability - just doesn’t make any sense.

Restlesslegs

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2015
Does anybody know what these baby stuff tracking complications are (sleeping/feeding times etc.) which are shown in one of the watch faces in the article?

Tech198

macrumors P6
Mar 21, 2011
Australia, Perth
I guess it makes sense for the Apple watch to notify when to charge it before bed at a low percentgae because it doesn't hold as good engh charge as the iphone.. also smaller..

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2002
Watch Face sharing seems so utterly stupid as an idea. They're grasping at straws, literally.
Yeah, "Face sharing" is like when they introduced the iPhone and with much fanfare introduced custom "Apps" which were nothing but mobile websites. Needless to say, the jailbreaking community took care of this and forced them to give us the possibility to develop real apps.

• Disagree
Reactions: japanime

Nicolas Som

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2020
I want my complications to be change automatically based on the time of day. I don't care what the stock market closed at after 5pm but do want to know when the sun will set.

Well, it's your lucky day :) With Watch OS 7 and the new shortcut app, you can actually do that =)
You just have to put multiple time the same watch face with different complications inside of them and put an automation on shortcut to change watch faces at given time.

(Best feature of Watch OS 7 for me. Totally underrated)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.