Hands up, who is awaiting for Macbook Air (Mark II)?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by tony-in-japan, Feb 2, 2008.

  1. tony-in-japan macrumors regular

    Jan 13, 2008
    Saitama, Japan
    There are some articles written that have given advice for those playing the waiting game like, for example, Seth Weintraub’s article: ‘MacBook Air recommendation: 10 reasons to wait’.

    link: http://blogs.computerworld.com/macbook_air_reccomendation_wait#comment-81903

    Also (quite funny), and I hope that this is not the prototype Mark II :eek:, I found this from Cult of Mac website (link: http://cultofmac.com/?p=1706) by Rodrigo which makes the point for those who were disappointed about the lack of connectivity on the current MBA. Be very afraid -- you might get exactly what you asked for! (Apologies if this pic has already been posted elsewhere in this forum.)

    So I would like to ask readers: are you someone who can already afford the Macbook Air but have decided to play the waiting game for the improved model? If so, what ONE improvement (e.g. something realistic like: user replaceable battery/faster/more HD space/cheaper/more connectivity/matte screen/smaller footprint) would you like to see in the next revision that would entice you to whip out your credit card without a second thought?

    Also, what are your predictions on when the next revision of the MBA would be most likely to be released? This year? Early 2009?

    For me, my one wish would be for a smaller footprint -- then I am sold. :D

    Attached Files:

  2. tersono macrumors 68000


    Jan 18, 2005
    cute pic

    Lol - that looks more like a MacBook AirCraftCarrier..... :p
  3. kresh macrumors 6502a


    How could Apple be so STUPID to leave off eSata. Dang it! I'm not buying the new MacBook Aircraft Mark II unless Apple meets my demands.
  4. mrklaw macrumors 68020

    Jan 29, 2008
    I can't see you getting more connectivity TBH. Wireless will only ever get more prevalent, so the need for ethernet will go down, not up. Likewise with firewire, camcorders (the traditional need) will move to USB transfer of AVCHD. External HDDs aren't necessarily a driver for laptops, and apple will push wireless storage. Maybe WWAN could be built in, but thats about it I think.

    More storage/cheaper storage is obvious - its a moving target. Maybe a 120GB/160GB single platter eventually?

    what you might see is the smaller form factor. Maybe try and break the air into a small range, so the 13" and then a small 11" to make it smaller (but slightly thicker)
  5. jnc macrumors 68020


    Jan 7, 2007
    Nunya, Business TX
    Price is perhaps the biggest barrier for me. At £1199, just £100 separates the 1.6GHz, 80GB MacBook Air from the 2.2GHz, 120GB MacBook Pro. As for the 1.8 with SSD... well, £100 separates that from a MBP plus a 23" ACD.

    Also, if as rumoured, new models are due soon, MBP will represent even better value for the same money.

    So my options are 15" matte notebook with power or a 13" glossy notebook that functions, at half the 15"-ers weight - I'd happily take either, but at the cost of extra 2.4lb I'd feel silly not getting the MBP for all the extra features.

    I'm snapping up the next MBP in the Fall "free iPod" edu promotion, but if Apple considers introducing the "MacBook Air Take Two" at mswf 09, with either a cheaper pricetag or better features at the same price, I'll definitely consider it.
  6. xraydoc macrumors 604


    Oct 9, 2005
    I'll wait for the MacBook Air with 4GB RAM and two USB ports.
  7. xraydoc macrumors 604


    Oct 9, 2005
    You haven't seen the other side...!
  8. deputy_doofy macrumors 65816


    Sep 11, 2002
    At some point, I know I'll have to replace my 12" PB. Yes, I DO have a MBP 15, which is excellent, but sometimes I just enjoy using the smaller, lighter machine.
    I'm probably looking at an MBA, version 3, or simply a future MB(P) when the Air "features" get incorporated. I'd be ok with a lighter and somewhat thinner version of a MBP. If, at 15", it matches or beats the 12" PB's weight, I'm ok with it.
  9. MacsAttack macrumors 6502a

    Jul 2, 2006
    I doubt Apple will significantly change the MBA.

    The only thing that is going to change in all likelihood is that the 64GB SSD will migrate down to the 1.6 as the price of those drives fall. Then a 128GB drive will feature in the 1.8. Of course the CPUs will get a little speed bump at some point, but not anything significant in real terms.

    I'm waiting for the 128GB SSDs to show. Then I'll probably bite.
  10. mrklaw macrumors 68020

    Jan 29, 2008
    I'm considering buying one now with the HDD. I'm aware it might not be the fastest thing ever, but then I can at least see if its ok for my basic needs as a second computer. If not I can look at an SSD later on - I assume 3rd parties will offer upgrades in due time.
  11. CalMin macrumors 6502a


    Nov 8, 2007
    Yeah - we all have our specific gripes with the current MBA. I will buy a Rev. B if:

    1. Upgrade path to 4GB ram
    2. Need 160gb or more HD

    I am the target market for the thing. I have an iMac for the heavy duty apps, but want a portable, stylish option and am willing to pay for it.

    I don't need 4gb right now, but RAM is one of the best ways to keep a computer going for years. My PowerBook with 1.25gb ram runs Leopard decently and I'd like to keep the MBA until OS 10.8 comes out requiring a minimum of 4gb RAM.:p
  12. Anderson3133 macrumors regular

    Jan 23, 2008
    I disagree with the "minor speed bumps" part mainly because.... Intel has come out with a small little chip called Penryn, and that thing is powerful. And from their it will only get better with Montevina and whatever else Mr. Ottelini can conjur up at Intel.
  13. CalMin macrumors 6502a


    Nov 8, 2007
    Yeah - we all have our specific gripes with the current MBA. I will buy a Rev. B if they provide:

    1. An upgrade path to 4GB ram
    2. An option for 160gb or more HD

    I am the target market for the thing. I have an iMac for the heavy duty apps, but want a portable, stylish option and am willing to pay for it.

    I don't need 4gb right now, but RAM is one of the best ways to keep a computer going for years. My 12" 1.0 ghz PowerBook runs Leopard decently with 1.25gb ram and I'd like to keep the MBA until OS 10.8 comes out.. :p
  14. gkarris macrumors 604


    Dec 31, 2004
    "No escape from Reality..."
    Where's the Zip drive? :p
  15. tony-in-japan thread starter macrumors regular

    Jan 13, 2008
    Saitama, Japan
    Apple’s designers wanted the Macbook Air-craft to be as elegant as possible and, unfortunately, had to exclude the zip.

    But, all is not lost, my dear mac-friend... It’s optional and called the ‘SuperZipDrive’. (Only $99 direct from the Apple Store.) ;)
  16. MacsAttack macrumors 6502a

    Jul 2, 2006
    If my MacBook was not just over a year old I'd buy an SSD MBA in an instant. As it is, I want to get a bit more life out of it before it gets handed down to another family member...

    ... buy which time Apple will have tweaked the specs of the MBA a little.

    But if I were in the market today, I'd get a MBA.

    Fun story from last week. I visited a customer's site to do some work, and the company Dell decided to flat quit on me. So I could...

    1. Turn round and get back on the plane.


    2. Pull out my MacBook - fire up a W2K VM, and just get on with it.

    Carrying two notebooks is a bit of a pain, but it saved my neck this time. The MBA being lighter and thinner is a BIG selling point - and my experience last week almost tips me in the direction of not waiting, so I was saved by the fact that the MBAs are just not available at my local Apple Store just quite yet. I have to avoid the place, because if I get to play with one I'll probably wind up buying it :D
  17. MacsAttack macrumors 6502a

    Jul 2, 2006
    They will be minor improvements - probably .2 Gz speed boost and perhaps a little extra power savings (which the speed boost will all but wipe out - I'd be happy if they just stuck with the same speeds). Intel's roadmap was to produce Penryn CPUs in the form factor that the MBA uses with a target timeframe of about six months from now. It looks like they did a "special" for Apple using technology they were already working on. Perhaps WiMax support. A slightly updated graphics subsystem. Nothing revolutionary. Most of the Penryn speed boost comes from new SSE4 instruction sets that the software has to be written to use - and are most advantageous for heavy media production environments. Not something you seriously expect to do on something like the MBA.

    Apple of course are a fantastic platform for Intel to show off their wares. Sure they are not a critical part of their market (not yet), but the PR advantages of Apple showing off new designs are significant. What were IBM thinking - letting Apple get away???? Of course it would have been very different if Intel didn't have the processors needed to create all these lovely Macs. And for that we have AMD to thank. Had Intel not dropped the ball with the P4, and had AMD not been there to kick Intel's ass, then there is no way Intel would have been forced to get their act together and create the Core and Core 2 processors and to keep the prices as low as they are. Competition GOOD. :D

    The new battleground is in the emerging SSD market - where everyone wants to play. Including Intel. In partnership with Micron, Intel have developed improved flash memory that (if their own numbers are correct) eliminates a big chunk of the slow writing speed problem. I don't expect to see devices using the tech to hit the market for at least 9 months, but it sure is going to be interesting to see if it lives up to first billing.
  18. pesc macrumors regular

    Jan 20, 2006
    I've got the money for a MBA to replace my 12" PB, but I'm waiting...

    Current MBA dealbreakers:
    - HD space (want 160 GB)
    - RAM space (want 4 GB)
    - footprint http://mbp12.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=9

    And I'm concerned about:
    - Glossy screen :(
    - Only one USB

    Now, if the single USB has power enough to drive a very small non-powered USB hub that can provide two ports suitable for charging an iPod and connecting a non-powered 2,5-inch external drive, I would be satisfied.

    I don't care much about "thin". From what I have heard, adding 3 mm thickness would make room for a 160 GB hard drive. I think Apples priorities are wrong.
  19. pesc macrumors regular

    Jan 20, 2006
    The MacBook AirCraft (Carrier) mockup is funny.

    But the problem is that it's such a straw man.

    Look at the 12" PB G4 instead. It has all that connectivity in a small footprint without looking ugly. It is not impossible to do and Apple has done it before. What would a 12" MacBook Pro in 2008 vintage look like? That is the standard the MBA should be compared to.

  20. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

    Jan 13, 2008
    Wow, that MacBook AirCraftCarrier looks hideous. I don't want any more ports, and I don't need any more connectivity. I don't even want an optical drive.

    Nor do I want a smaller footprint. Considering I'll be carrying a briefcase big enough for my spiral notebooks, anything smaller than a piece of paper doesn't make any difference at all. And regarding your picture, pesc, am I the only one who puts my laptop away when food is served? I'd never put an open drink that precariously close to my computer! :eek:

    That said, I certainly hope you get your 12" MBP ;) It would be a welcome addition to the line.

    But I like the thinness, and don't mind the lack of so-called "features." If my MacBook weren't less than a year old and I needed a new computer, I'd probably get a 80GB HDD MacBook Air and hope to replace the hard drive with a cheaper SSD once I could.

    That that's what I'm waiting for down the line...

    1) Cheaper, bigger SSD (at least 128GB would be nice)
    *2) Faster processor (*nice but not as necessary)
    *3) Better battery life, 5-6+ hours (*nice but not necessary)
  21. CalMin macrumors 6502a


    Nov 8, 2007
    OK, anyone who posted earlier in this thread about waiting for Rev. B, here's a piece of advice.


    Why? Because I went in to my local Apple store yesterday and handled one for the first time. I was blown away at the ergonomics and aesthetics of the machine. Technolust hit me in a manner similar to when I first experienced the iPhone. The MBA is gorgeous, handles beautifully, feels absolutely solid and makes everything else feel HEAVY by comparison. It's hard to describe just how lovely it is and how PERFECT it is a replacement for the 12" PowerBook.

    I would have bought one right there if they had been in stock. Really. Only when I got home did I rationalize, but I can't get the thing out of my brain. I spent last night deleting junk off my PowerBook to see if I could live with 80gb HD.

    I don't think I have the will power to wait until Rev. B hits, so if you, like me are waiting for a rev. b then stay away from the stores. The MBA is hard to appreciate until you handle it. Mark my words, this thing will sell like crazy despite the shortcomings.
  22. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

    Jan 13, 2008
    I know it'll be torture to go to an Apple Store, but I really, really want to see one of these in person. For better or worse, no way can I afford one for a long time, anyway, so as tempted as I would be, I'll have to wait for Rev. B when my MacBook's started to get older.
  23. nagromme macrumors G5


    May 2, 2002
    That's pretty funny.

    I'm buying version A even so :)

    I've waited longer than planned, just for Apple to FINALLY offer a subnotebook. It was worth the wait, but I can't wait for ver B.

    Any new product from any company has improvements--and a reduced chance of problems--in the second version of the same model. True for cars, true for Dells, true for Macs. Waiting brings better things, and problems can be caught in public release that were not caught before release. NO test phase is ever as large a test as the real public release. Plus prices lower over time. SSD included. So, if you can wait, that could be smart.

    But even when a product is found to have a batch of bad components, or some aspect with a higher-than-normal problem rate... it still tends to be FAR less than 50% failures. Most units of even a PROBLEM model are likely top be just fine. And even the best laptop models have failure rates that would make a desktop cringe. I'm not going to wait over this kind of worry.

    I will however wait a week or two just in case some SMALL, simple issues are found and fixed. I'll get a version A, but not one of the FIRST version As.

    I'm thinking of other times when version A has quietly improved mid-cycle. Like when the added a sleeve to the first nanos. Or when they caught a bad batch of video cables in the first eMacs. Or when they shrunk the power supply on the MacBook Pro. I think one Mac notebook may have received a more reliable hinge mid-cycle too. But mainly I'm just thinking of bad parts from suppliers. If anything like that crops up, a couple weeks wait will improve the odds of them catching the issue and ensuring good parts.

    Waiting isn't LIKELY to serve any purpose, but I can wait a little bit so I will.
  24. robrose20 macrumors 6502


    Jun 5, 2007
    I want the rev b to have 8 cores, 8 GB memory, 1 TB of hard drive storage (SSD of course), FW800, 400, ESATA, USB 2.0, Bluetooth, WiFi, make coffee for me in the morning, and manage all my finances ... is this too much to ask for????
  25. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

    Jan 13, 2008
    And it has to be $700 or less!

Share This Page