iPad mini Handwriting notes on Ipad mini?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by quamsi, Jan 12, 2014.

1. quamsi macrumors regular

Hi all. So I have an Ipad Air that I got a couple weeks ago. While I am enjoying it, I still have a nagging thought that I should have gotten the mini w/retina instead. I am getting some hand fatigue when using it for extended periods and am not taking it along with me as much as I thought I would. One thing I love very much is handwriting notes on my Air. With the right stylus and notetaking app I can do so beautifully. I also do a lot of annotation and highlighting on books and documents. This is a breeze on the Air. I am wondering if anyone who is familiar with both devices can tell me how comparable in ease it is to use the rMini in this way. An applestore is a couple hours away and Best Buy is an hour. Before taking a trip to compare the models myself, I am hoping for your imput. Thanks! :)

2. TheAnvil macrumors regular

From experience, the rMini gets fairly hot with prolonged note taking; I lose 25-30% battery life per hour on Penultimate.
    Just my 2c.

3. quamsi thread starter macrumors regular

Have you tried this combo on the Air? Is it a capacitive stylus or digitizer pen? I use a capacitive stylus with noteshelf or goodnotes and have not noticed any accelerated battery usage or warming of the device, on the Air or course.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I tried note taking on the my old iPad first generation and found the lack of precision on with a stylus to be a major drawback. I don't think its really a strong point for the iPad

5. eye4ni macrumors member

I've owned ipad 2, ipad mini, ipad 4, and ipad air, and have taken a lot of handwritten notes in Notability with all of them, daily. While I loved the size of the ipad mini, I had a few complaints with taking notes.

I am not sure if it was just the specific ipad mini that I had, maybe there was a defect, but the extreme edges of the screen did not seem very responsive when using the stylus. I thought that maybe this had something to do with the touch rejection on the edges of the screen near the bezels. Regardless, this made the edges of the screen difficult to write notes, thus making the already small writing surface even smaller, and not ideal for taking notes across the entire width of the page. I dealt with it, and used the mini until I lost it on vacation (big bummer) and replaced it with an ipad 4 until the ipad air was released.

Another issue I had with the ipad mini was screen sensitivity in general. It did not seem that the screen was as responsive when using a stylus, at least not as responsive as the ipad 2 and ipad 4 are. When I purchased the ipad air, it also seems that this screen is a bit less responsive when using a stylus, but better than the mini.

Tip: most recently on my ipad air, I started out using a bamboo stylus because I favor the finer tip on these styluses, but it simply did not work very well, I almost had to PRESS down on the screen with the stylus to take notes. I switched to a cheap Belkin stylus and it works MUCH better, perfectly actually.

One other thing that bothered me on the mini, at least while taking notes, was the screen size. I know that the smaller form factor is what makes the mini an attractive option, but the writing area was just a bit too small for my liking when compared to the full sized ipad models (especially considering the above caveats). Annotating PDF's is much better on the full sized ipads too, much less zooming and scrolling involved. The ipad air is the perfect ipad for me, it is very thin and light, with a very compact form factor, much like the ipad mini, but the added screen real estate makes it the better note-taking ipad in my opinion.

6. Bach2011 macrumors member

Had anyone have a chance to try Trueglide Apex on Air or rMini? I've seen many complain about less responsive when using stylus on Air. I have tried Wacom Creative and had to return as it didn't work really well. I had to press it very hard. I have Thinkpad Tablet v.1 and really like it.

7. quamsi thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your helpful input everyone! I use the Gosmart 300 stylus which is amazing. Smooth as butter, extremely responsive. Combined with a good app, I can write just as quickly and nearly as neatly as using a pen and paper. I did not have this success with other cheaper styluses.

Anyway, my daughter has a doctors appointment near Best Buy today so I will swing in and handle the rMini again. Maybe when the employees aren't looking I'll try out my stylus on each device. :)

8. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

If this is an interest to you, I would suggest you take another look - the landscape is far different today. There are now all sorts of quality styli available and just as important - quality apps for note taking or marking up documents. Many people who have the choice are choosing to do this on an iPad today vs. alternatives - even ones with a digitizer. I myself have a Surface Pro which I take plenty of notes on, but the software side of things on that platform really lets things down. As a result my iPad Air sees most of the note-taking duty today.

9. quamsi thread starter macrumors regular

So I went to BB and played around with the two units again. Still a VERY tough decision. I did like the rMini's weight and portability much more and it did pretty good with my stylus. I decided to list my Air for sale when I got home. So I logged into Ebay, wrote up a listing and found out they now charge a 10% fee, which is INSANE when you consider the value of a like-new 32 gb cellular Air. So looks like the decision was made up for me, unless I get any bites on my ad on craigslist. Thanks Ebay. :rolleyes:

10. onepoint macrumors 6502a

onepoint

What color is your Air? I have a like-new slate rMini 32 cellular I'd consider trading (+ cash on my end) if interested, PM me :cool:

11. TheAnvil macrumors regular

There are no digitizer pens for the iPad... You can only use styli.

I don't have an air, I have an iPad 3, however I never did any "heavy" note taking with it to be able to say for sure.

12. quamsi thread starter macrumors regular

Ah, Okay. I guess I mean whatever technology they consider the pens that sync with your device (bluetooth or whatever).

----------

pm'd you but mine is silver. Would have been an easy swap though. ;)

(can't wait to have access to the marketplace)