Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CJayC

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 2, 2010
I'm using Handy Light at this very moment to tether my PC because my friend's house doesn't have very good WiFi. But I was trying to figure this out earlier at my own house and couldn't, but I really do want to try to get it right now.

In uTorrent, there is an option to use a SOCKS proxy but I'm not sure what should be checked or unchecked and what variation of port/IP addresses should go in.

http://a.imageshack.us/img694/4061/utorrentsettings.jpg

This is my current setup and it does not work.

To mods: please note that torrenting is not illegal.

phoenixdude24

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2009
so you want to use your iphone to torrent stuff on your computer? and people wonder why at&t did away with the unlimited plan...

chembox

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2010
I don't care much about using the iPhone to tether, but you probably will get a copyright notice from AT&T...

tjwaggoner

macrumors regular
May 8, 2010
I wish I was as cool as you, you law-abiding citizen.

Ok, first how old are you??

Secondly, I wish you were a law abiding citizen as well.
In your first post you stressed to the moderaters how legal torrenting was but now you seem to be saying that its incapable for you to be "cool" and not steal bandwidth. Leads one to think that maybe the content you are torrenting isnt legal either (not that I really care though)

So how does one get "not very good" wifi anyway? Is that code for "not any" wifi or cant guess the neighbors password or what?

JCCL

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2010
1. He is paying for unlimited 3G service, how he uses it is his own problem.
2. Torrenting itself is legal, torrentling copyrighted material is not. Torrents are a very popular distribution method for companies that can pay for good servers and bandwidth. Not all torrenting means piracy.

Telecacher

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2010
I can see AT&T letting you slide if you are just tethering to a few websites on occasion. But I wouldn't be surprised if they find you torrenting and upgrade your service plan without warning.

Good luck with that.

Ron21

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
Unlimited = 5GB

After which ATT can cutoff your service especially if they find out about the torrents.

CJayC

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 2, 2010
Unlimited = 5GB

After which ATT can cutoff your service especially if they find out about the torrents.

Where are people getting this 5 GB softcap from? Do you not understand what the word unlimited means? This was a rumor created MONTHS ago and has since been debunked several times. There is NO SOFTCAP.

Simm0nS777

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2010
Northeast Ohio
man some of you are so damn uptight. oohhhh nooo your the worst person ever because you downloaded a song!!!! Ive never done that Im the best person ever!!! Jesus, lighten up a bit, trust me life will be a lot easier.

chembox

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2010
Unlimited = 5GB

That's the general policy of other smartphones beside the iPhone. The iPhone has it's only policy and TOS, and no where does it state a bandwidth limit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.