HandyLight+? Could it be?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by obsidian1200, Jul 25, 2010.

1. obsidian1200 macrumors 6502

obsidian1200

Okay, so I missed out on snagging Handy Light when it came out on the App Store (before it got pulled), and now there's a new App on the store called HandyLight+. The icon and name look like the original Handy Light, and there's a promise of an instructional video coming soon. Most of the reviews say that it doesn't do the tethering trick tucked inside the original Handy Light, but I'm not entirely convinced, since one or two reviewers say that the app has "special features." The description for the App also says "GET IT WHILE IT'S STILL HERE." That statement alone has me suspicious of one of two possibilities.

1. The App is riding on the coat tails of Handy Light.
    2. The App does something that could get it pulled from the store.

So, forum, has anyone tried this app out? Is it JUST a flashlight App, or something more? Thanks!

HandyLight+: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/handylight/id383595067?mt=8

2. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

Good way to make money for whoever made the app;
    "buy it now before it gets removed!" because people will actually think there is something worthwhile that's going to get taken away unless they buy it, NOW!
    :p

3. Pushkar macrumors 6502a

Read the Reviews, it's a fake, not the tether flashlight app :cool:

4. obsidian1200 thread starter macrumors 6502

obsidian1200

I kind of figured that ^^; I guess I had too much hope that another would squeak by Apple's App Store Defenses... maybe someday... maybe...

Or, of course, Apple could just enable tethering on their phones out of the box. There's a nifty idea.

5. Robby C macrumors regular

Robby C

You can get the 2GB plan + tethering from AT&T... for $40 a month :rolleyes:

All joking aside though... Yeah it would be nice if they would just allow for tethering without paying out the ass for it. They should at least make it unlimited data + tethering for $40 monthly rather than having a 2GB cap- that's absurd.

6. brayhite macrumors 6502a

Soo I perhaps may be completely missing this, but when Apple pulls an app from its store, does that not kill the app on everyone's iPhone whenever they sync again or at all?

I was considering buying the app when I first heard about it but didn't want to waste a dollar on something that would soon be pulled from my device.

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Apple can do one of two things. They can pull an app from the store. This does not delete it from your device or from your iTunes, and as long as you keep your copy, you will be able to use it (this is what happened, e.g., with the handylight app). They can also execute a remote "killswitch" which will actually delete it over-the-air from activated devices, I believe via cellular connection. AFAIK they have never done the latter.

8. obsidian1200 thread starter macrumors 6502

obsidian1200

As far as I know, when Apple pulls an App from the store, it does not automatically kill the App on your device/computer. However, Apple can use a killswitch to kill the App if they choose to do so.

9. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

As a customer with a very occasional need to tether, I'd even pay their stupid fee, so long as a.) I could EASILY cancel it during months I didn't need it, b.) it didn't affect my unlimited plan status, and c.) I could tether the damn iPad through it. But AT&T doesn't offer wireless tethering, only Bluetooth or USB, neither of which will work with the iPad. So why should I pay an extra $20?

Instead, I'm still waiting on the JB....sorry, AT&T, but until you offer wireless tethering, there's no sense in me paying more for a service that still doesn't fit my needs.

10. mrblack927 macrumors 6502a

mrblack927

This guy is trying to make a bunch of money off people assuming it will be like the original Handylight. That's clever... I give him credit. He never said it did tethering so he isn't technically lying. He's playing off peoples' tendency to jump to conclusions.

I bet at least a few hundred people buy the app before it slows down. It won't get pulled because it really is just a flashlight, and he gets to keep the money. The original developer on the other hand (nick lee) probably won't get anything because he violated the TOS.

11. macpro2000 macrumors 6502a

Actually a great tethering app. Good job dude.

12. bugmcw macrumors newbie

Handylight+ is most definitely a crock, but Nick Lee still has several other apps in the appstore.... any chance he has been sneaking the tether feature in for a while? Maybe it is in some of the other apps he made-

BM

13. Telecacher macrumors member

I bet they made a ton of cash off this app already.

Can't really say I blame them.

14. bugmcw macrumors newbie

Anyone think i could be right? You think apple re-reviewed all of his apps once he got caught with handy light?

15. kuaiyouming, Aug 4, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  16. jkozlow3 macrumors 6502a

The biggest issue with AT&T tethering is that you have to switch from the 2GB without tethering to 2GB WITH tethering. I was originally thinking that 2GB of data would be separate from tethering which might be added as an ADDITIONAL feature (similar to early nights & weekends, etc). As a result, you'd still be bound by your 2GB data plan and only prorated for the tethering feature for the day you had it on your plan.

But the way they have it structured, if you switch from "regular" 2GB to 2GB + tethering and then switch back after you're done using it, you are prorated for that period and only get 67mb of data per day while tethering. If you go over that in the day that you have tethering enabled (very likely), you'll be screwed with overage charges! Ugh!