hang nails suck

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by furcalchick, May 21, 2007.

1. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

great, i have another hang nail on both of my big toes, and they hurt so much (this is the second time this has happened in three months), and actually cut some skin on the left toe. i've used witch hazel and the anti hang nail treatment with the cream, but i haven't gotten much in relief. is there another natural way to relive this? it really hurts.

2. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Hangnails on your toes?! Wow. I only ever get them on my fingers. :eek:

As for ways to deal with 'em, just what you mentioned already-- I cut off the excess skin, make sure it doesn't get infected, and if it's really really sensitive, I'll "protect" it for the time being with a bandaid.

Hope your ouchies heal soon.

3. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Clean it out really well. Clear away dead skin. Keep your feet clean.

4. nickster9224 macrumors 6502a

nickster9224

cut off the hangnail, then wash it, and keep your feet clean, and you could try some new skin. it comes in a bottle

5. smokeyrabbit macrumors 6502

Aye, ye must bathe naked in the first light of the full moon in a barrel of eels to cure this dreaded affliction...

6. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

Hang nails do indeed suck. I've got a nasty one on my right pointer finger. It's all like ... inflamed or something.

But toe hangnails, eh? This is new to me. And sounds ... dreadful. My grandmother would have told you to use some Epsom Salt, and, come to "research it" it seems to fix ... everything. Would stay away from the intravenous Epsom Salts, though -- sketchy.

[​IMG]

7. aprilgrey34 macrumors member

Ewww... gross!! (No offense.)

No... I would definitely stick with the
    Those eels, man... they work wonders!

8. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

I get them on my fingers occasionally. I cut off the excess skin, and usually leave it alone. It heals in a few days. If it hurts pretty bad, I'll put on something like Neosporin.

9. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

old army trick was to use a bit of superglue to hold the skin together. acted as a quick patch, durable bandaid. on a long road march, you don't get to stop and worry about things like injury, pain, missing skin. :eek:

on the other hand, lots of vets dying of strange diseases, so use at your own risk!

10. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

I get them once in a while, I just rip them off, and then it's sore for a couple of days. Didn't now about it's vulnerability to infection, I've done it so many times and never had it infected.

On theoe that sucks.

11. nickster9224 macrumors 6502a

nickster9224

new skin is basically a skin super glue. but its not that sticky, but it works wonders for cuts, hang nails, etc.

12. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Toe nails shouldn't be long enough to get hang-nails. :eek: Good suggestions on treating it now but in the future, keep those damn things trimmed! <shudders>

13. Bobdude161 macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

I'm sorry, this thread requires a pic of of the hung nail in order for this discussion to continue. :mad:

14. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yeah, I have no idea what it is (and yes, I did try Google Images).

Is it similar to an ingrown nail? I don't know why people complain about those. I literally just dig them out of my big toes. Sure, my big toe bleeds on occasion, but this happens only 2-3 times per year, and I don't need to do it often anyway.

15. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Do it. Do it. Do it.

On the other hand (No pun intended), I didn't know what they were either, but I found them here

16. janey macrumors 603

janey

i don't think it's cause they're too long. i get the occasional hangnail near a fingernail cause i bite my nails.

Not saying that the OP bites toenails (wtf yuck lol), but I don't think it's because they aren't well trimmed. I like to do nail art on my toenails, and prefer slightly long toenails (not very, though) to something too trimmed and have never had a hangnail on a toe nail.

17. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

There is super glue packaged for medical use, called Dermabond, if you're squeamish about using the hardware store stuff. The consumer version is sold as Band Aid somethingorother liquid.

18. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Superglue was invented to stick skin together, for the Second World War IIRC.

19. fairnymph macrumors 6502

fairnymph

Burt's Bee's Rescue Salve, in the green tin, works wonders for anything prone to infection or in need of rapid healing.

20. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

I just had one yesterday, caught it early and ripped it off. No blood, it's a little sore but better than the other times where there's bleeding.

21. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Darn, I though it was invented to hang construction workers from steel beams by gluing their hardhat to the beam with a single drop.

22. iGav macrumors G3

That was Araldite. ;)

23. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Get it taken care of, it can get much worse.

I do know somebody that avoided taking care of it until the infected big toe turned gangrenous and the doctors took care of the hangnail by removing the big toe.

Of course this was also the kid that got injured kicking an arcade machine, and his mom tried suing a friends place of business -- so karma may have played a part. ;)

24. furcalchick thread starter macrumors 68020

furcalchick

it's nothing bad, and it's getting healed. just a cut on the left big toe, so i'll keep that covered for a little bit.