hanging, and having to re-start???

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by seablue, Dec 26, 2007.

1. seablue macrumors regular

I have two macs that I use using a linksys router. I have an emac 10.4.11 and an ibook running on the same. I use firefox as my browser and mac mail. My ISP is a local satellite company and it's been working great til about 4 days ago. Sometimes everything loads fine and very fast. Other times, everything hangs. Might take 2 min. and up to 5 min. to load. I only have one website open at a time and my mail app.
    Seems like I'm having to re-start the computer 2-3 times a day otherwise I'm dropped out of my wireless connection.
    Why is it doing this? Does this sound like a router problem or ISP connection problem??

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

So when these "hangs" happen, they effect all the computers on the LAN? If so, that's a sure sign that it's either the router or the internet service.

Is what happens that, when everything hangs, the first thing to load takes a long time, or everything takes a long time even after the first site loads?

Have you tried calling your satellite company and asking about this?

FWIW, you should really never have to reboot the *computer* to resolve a networking issue like this. I can't think of when I've ever done that. Even rebooting the cable modem and/or router more than once or twice a year is an unacceptable level of performance....

3. seablue thread starter macrumors regular

When you ask - all computers? I'm only using one at a time. But it has happened on both of them - depending on whether I'm on the desktop one OR the laptop. This morning I'm on the desktop and it hung twice. Last night I was on the couch using the laptop and it hung once.
    It is sporadic - seems like it starts to hang after I've loaded the initial website. I then get fed up with and just re-start.
    I'm going to call them today.

4. seablue thread starter macrumors regular

update

Just an update to my issue. Got a hold of another tech support person. They switched my module to another part on the pole and all is just peachy now. Very fast downloading. They said the other tech switched me to a bad connection.