Hanging on blue screen + other problems

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Sage13, Oct 11, 2008.

1. Sage13 macrumors newbie

ok, ive had my macbook pro for a long time (since may of 2006) and i havent had a single problem out of it...ive noticed over the past month or so that it started freezing up, more and more frequently...i always ignored the problem hoping it would go away...now, my computer will not boot up past the blue screen...it goes to the gray apple screen with the spinning gear, then it goes to the blue screen with no chime and just sits there...a couple of times i let it sit there for a while and it went to a black screen with a bunch of codes coming up (i assume this is single user mode?)...before you ask, i do not remember the codes, sorry...also, im on a business/vacation trip in hollywood florida and i do not have my install disks...is there anything i can try to get my computer working? my apple care has already expired and so has my support plan, and i really dont want to pay $50 for some guy to try to fix it over the phone, expecially since i dont have my install disks...also, if i make an appointment to see a mac genuis at the nearby apple store in aventura, will they be able to use an install disk and fix my problems? how much should it cost? thanks for the help

i also apoligize because the only reason i registered to this forum was to get an answer or at least some help for my problem

2. Sage13 thread starter macrumors newbie

ok, after booting in single user mode i came across a couple of things that looked suspicious...keep in mind that i have no clue what i am doing and ive never done this before

probe booting in single user . . do not match

also

singleuser boot -- fsck not done

i have also read somewhere that when i want to exit siingle user mode all i have to do is type "exit" and hit return...this is what i get when i do that

disk0s2: 0xe0030005 (UNDEFINED)

it also tells me that it cant do a lot of things...too much to type here lol

then it keeps repeating the "disk0s2: 0xe0030005 (UNDEFINED)"

sometimes it says "i have no name!" which i think is a little wierd

any help?

3. JediMeister macrumors 68040

There are some other things you can try without the install discs. You could try a safe boot (hold down the shift key on startup until you see the gray screen with the action gear and Apple logo), and see if that even displays your login window. If it does, login and go to your system preferences, to Accounts, and look for any login items. Again, assuming you're able to get into safe boot, the other place I'd look is in Macintosh HD/Library/StartupItems. If you run Parallels, don't pull the folder from there. Anything else, even if it seems benign like a printer brand name, drag it out to the desktop and try to reboot normally. Let's start with that and if it needs more help you probably will need the install discs to do some additional steps.

4. Sage13 thread starter macrumors newbie

im not able to safe boot...all it does is shut it back down...from what ive read you have to wait for the chime before i hold down shift, but there is no chime

5. JonZilla macrumors newbie

I am having the same problem, only for my desktop. I am in Miami, and on my way to the Adventura mall to speak to someone. I can give you a price but i'm very lost too. I have never had a crash or anything on mac. I'm gonna be screwed because none of my album projects were backed up yet.

Also signed up just to get an answer. If you find anything out it may help me as well, jonlinen@gmail.com

Bump, lol

6. Sage13 thread starter macrumors newbie

will do man...i have to go down to lincoln rd on miami beach to take a look at the guess jeans store down there...while im there im going to pop in at the apple store and see if they can take a look at it without an appointment

also, and update on my problem...i had the install disk mailed to me and it didnt work...i tried to reinstall and there was an error...i ran the disk utility and there was an error also...i cant remember exactly what it was, something about error on exit and something about a node or something...idk lol...ill find out exactly what the problem is tonight and write it down for you guys

7. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

I'd advise against the "bumps". Not only are they against the forum rules here, they are annoying and the more you do it the less likely you are to receive any reply at all.

If you bought your MBP in May, 2006 and also Applecare as you say then it is covered until May, 2009. Applecare extends the coverage three years period. There is no other version. If you only had the limited one year warranty and never bought Applecare then that's a different story.

It's worth a shot bringing it to the Apple Store anyway.

8. Sage13 thread starter macrumors newbie

i havent seen anything in regads to bumps being "against the rules" except every 20 mins or so...i have only bumped once per day...and as for the apple care, i did purchase it but never had it registered...i guess what i meant by apple care was the one year warranty, but when i called apple about my problem he said that my "apple care has expired and so has my phone support plan", so thats what i said here...sorry for not being specific, but it doesnt really matter...that has nothing to do with the problem i am having

9. chilipie macrumors 6502a

chilipie

:rolleyes:

10. Sage13 thread starter macrumors newbie

well...this is what i have read...in one of the stickies in the mac basics and help sub forum...

if bumps were "illegal" on this forum then it should have been stated here as well...if this thread never gets bumped then it would never get answered...seriously, how many people search through this sub forum just to answer questions? with as many people that post here, this thread will be a couple of pages back by tomorrow, and on page 5 in the "new posts" in just a couple of hours...i would really like this question to be answered and i thought i could get just as much help from you guys as i could from the apple store, but i guess ill have to wait and have to pay for help there...but i appreciate the flaming on my "bumps", at least it keeps my thread closer to the top...although its very off topic

11. Sage13 thread starter macrumors newbie

the problem with my computer is hard drive failure...i guess im screwed...any advice on what i should do now?