Hanging on bootup

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Exsert, Apr 1, 2016.

1. Exsert, Apr 1, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2016

Exsert macrumors newbie

Hello all,
    Right so last night i shut my laptop screen and this morning i opened the laptop it was still on but screen was black (i tried changing brightness etc...) it wouldn't respond!
    So i forced a shut down and when i start it up again it gets to the apple loading bar gets about 1/3 of the way before going EXTREMELY slowly i waited an hour and it got about 1/2 way but takes like 10 minutes a pixel now.

I recently added new RAM but it's been working fine for a few days?

I've tried all boot methods, SCM boot, RVRAM clear (or whatever it's called)... Tried booting recovery mode (command+R) and nothing happens until i let go of the buttons but that's back to regular boot. I hold option to get to the partitions and there's only my main hard drive no recovery HD?
    i've tried single/verbose mode and they both seem to hault on pci pause: sdxc (stopped for 45 minutes before i had to leave so i shut it down as it was hot and didn't want it to overheat in my bag)
    Finally i've tried internet recovery mode and it can't find my wifi!
    I'm on the train atm and when i get home in about 5 hours i shall try internet recovery with an ethernet cable!

Kind of freaking out here as i've been away for a week working on my dissertation! Now i might loose all my work!

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated, I can't take it for repair as i have absolutey no money right now! (Just spent it on these train tickets)

Edit: mid 2012 macbook pro 15 inch

2. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

3. Fishrrman macrumors G3

Agree with post above.
    New RAM is your likely problem.

Take the new RAM -out-, put the old RAM back in.
    Run for 4 days.
    Still having problems?

4. Spudlicious macrumors 6502

Spudlicious

I agree with the above posters, pull the new RAM. And promise yourself in future you'll backup important work!

5. Exsert thread starter macrumors newbie

Tried removing RAM made no difference to the speed.

Left laptop on for a few hours it eventually booted! but it is still too slow to do anything, any button press takes about 15 mins? Trying to look through activity monitor but it's not changing tab.

6. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

7. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

If your Mac has been crashing due to bad RAM there's no telling what corruption has occurred in the OS. The only way your going to know if that's the issue is to keep the old RAM out and reinstall the OS with the original RAM in there.

8. Exsert thread starter macrumors newbie

Faulty RAM would cause issues whilst modifying things, what i think has happened is the hard drive has failed, its read write speed is down to fluctuating between 0kbps and 80kbps, it's undetected in another machine. Even when scanning volumes the only option is to erase volumes as it doesn't detect anything to explore.
    The RAM wasn't the cause i think it was a coincidental time, besides if it were the RAM i'd see a slow decrease in performance.

Even when resorting to using a work around of opening internet recovery mode, using safari in there to find and send files to myself just a simple browsing the file structure took 5 minutes to load folders, this is when it is technically not even using the hardrive to run an OS.

Luckily i have managed to grab my work, but it took an hour of patiently waiting.

Not really sure where to go from here to fix the drive (even if i could)