Hanging on startup

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by popsiclepoop, Sep 7, 2013.

1. popsiclepoop macrumors newbie

Windows user here, know nothing about macs. The previous owner was about to throw out two macs (Macbook and Macbook Pro) but my mother decided to bring them home because she thought that I would be able to fix hem.

The macbook turns off whenever I unplug it from the charger and also charges REALLY slowly. Left it plugged in overnight and it only went up 2% from 5 to 7. But that one isn't my my main concern because it's usable as long as it's plugged in.

The macbook pro (13-inch, Mid 2009) hangs at startup. The circle thing at the bottom just spins, and spins, and spins. Tried to boot it in safe mode but a grey progress bar shows up at the bottom, loads about a third of the way and then disappears and the circle thing just continues to spin. Tried recovery mode (command-R) but that does nothing also. Gave up after I tried resetting the vpram or whatever it's called.

Anyone have an idea on how to fix the latter computer? Or know if it would be worth it to take it to a repair shop?

2. rick3000 macrumors 6502a

rick3000

Sounds like first one has a bad battery, and the second has a bad hard drive. Both of which you could replace yourself. Try to boot the second one in Target Disk Mode to see if the computer works with a functioning hard drive and run a diagnostic on the HD, if it is booting to a screen it could be corrupted and you might be able to wipe it and reinstall the OS.