Hanging on to 5s as a backup phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by UPBaylor, Oct 14, 2015.

1. UPBaylor macrumors member

I've always planned on selling my 5s. But, after having my 6s since release (which is awesome), I've had to use my 5s a couple of last times as I waited for a work app to update for the 6s. Anyway, it's such a great phone with form factor, it started me thinking about keeping it just for internet access, extra media device, international travel phone, entertainment for my 6 year old, etc. But, all that isn't really that necessary and pretty much just duplicates many of the 6s functions. It's hard to decide is it worth the $250 or so.

Anyone else keeping their old 5s, and why? (and, I'm speaking of a non-activated phone).

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

I've got my 5s still as a backup to my 6plus.

Reason. It was my favourite since the original and it's a great iPhone.

3. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

A point to consider is that you may want a fall-back phone when it comes time for your next upgrade. You'll get more cash if you sell before the masses who wait till they get a new phone in their mitts.

But only you can tell if the $250 in your hand now is worth it.

C

4. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I always hang onto my last phone or phone before that just in case current one dies.

5. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

I usually give my father my old phones, but I sold my 6+ after 10 months to help finance the 6S+. All I have now is the iPhone 4 my father handed back when I gave him my iPhone 5. It's definitely worth having a back-up phone for emergencies but I wouldn't keep hold of something that has a decent resale value. If you can afford to kiss goodbye to $250 for no particular reason then so be it. If you ever do need a back-up then you'll be glad it's not an iPhone 4.:D

6. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

I use my 5S around the house every day: podcasts, talk radio, remote, surfing on wifi, etc.

7. UPBaylor thread starter macrumors member

This, along with the back up phone (for either my wife or myself) is a pretty good thought.

When you hang on to your phone for an extra cycle, how much resale value do you estimate it loses? Or, you can just take a wild guess at what you think my 5S would be worth around the time of the 7 if the current offer is $250.

The $250 isn't a big deal to me, but I like doing the financial calcs to see where I really stand.

8. CTHarrryH macrumors 65816

I just traded in my 5s (16GB) to Verizon as part of the 6s purchase for $300 which I thought was a good deal. I used to keep old phones (never got rid at all) but finally said sort of stupid to pass on the money. If I break this new phone I'll regret but....

9. Frankied22 macrumors 68000

Frankied22

I like to buy my phones outright so I can switch carriers whenever I want and when I travel I can bring it. I usually just sell my old phone and buy the new one every year but I kept my 5S and skipped the 6 last year so it's costing me a bit more to buy a 6S this year. I got a few days left in my return window and I still haven't decided if I'm going to keep it. I'll probably end up keeping the 6S though since I got someone who offered me $350 for my 5S. The 5S was and still is my favorite iPhone.

10. tann macrumors 68000

I'm like you, keep my older phone as a 'backup'.

However after doing this through 2 new iPhones (both of which had no issues that stopped the phone being usable) and I now think... what's the point? Keep a phone lying around wasting when I could have some cash now.

Let's be honest, if I were to lose my phone, insurance could have a replacement for me in a few days. Same for if it were stolen, or if it broke. Not to mention I'd probably be so distraught I'd buy another on the day to tie me over until the replacement!

So I think I will sell the 5 I will soon have spare... my 6 is going to my mum (and I will get the 5 back).

11. februarian macrumors 6502

februarian

I had my 5S as a second phone when I got my 6 Plus for a few months. I had to sell it as a promised it to a friend & instantly missed it! I'm now really really considering getting the same model from the Apple Store to go along with my 6S Plus. The great flexibility of the smaller form factor can hardly be overstated!

12. Peter K. macrumors 6502a

Peter K.

I'm keeping my iPhone 5 as a backup to my 6S+. Fortunately, I just got it replaced for the faulty sleep button and swelling battery. So now I have a freshly refurbished backup. Nice!