Hangouts without Chrome in OS X. Am I dreaming?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nmaxcom, Dec 1, 2014.

1. nmaxcom macrumors member

Hi!

After years of loyalty, I decided to dump Chrome from my MBP for unacceptable CPU abuse. This also secondarily caused some crackling while playing music... so I'm back to Firefox.

Now, Firefox's hangouts extensions sucks so bad I've looked for other solutions. Surprise: there aren't. But is that true?

On the official Hangout's site thereare only solutions for iPad and iPhone :confused:

Googling I haven't been able to find anything reliable, closest thing is using Fluid to "simulate" a native app, which is basically a boxed browser. Is this the best I can use?

I'm confused there seems to be nothing official for OS X.

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

You can set up a Google account in the Messages app (or iChat if you have an older OS), which allows IM with Hangouts users. I haven't tried voice or video but I believe that Messages supports them too.

3. nmaxcom thread starter macrumors member

Awesome! Thanks

4. nmaxcom thread starter macrumors member

I'm back! I've been trying Messages but the big problem is that it doesn't sync with the chats I have on other devices (or browser).

For example I say something to someone. If that someone replies me while Messages (or the laptop) is off, then it'll never reach Messages. I'll have that response everywhere but there, which basically makes it worthless.

Do you have a viable alternative?

Thanks for trying

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

No, I don't have an alternative; Adium (which I used to use) does the same thing. I personally don't see it as an issue and therefore haven't investigated any alternatives.