Hangs before "Press Any Key"

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by chundel, Sep 21, 2010.

1. chundel macrumors newbie

Hiya I Finally got myself 4GB of ram for my macbook unibody (p7350 2.0), leopard sees it no problem, but Windows XP/7 both only see 2.72 GB (I was hoping for at least 3.22GB but that was a fail, so I'm trying to install either XP-64 or 7-64 the XP installs fine, but then found out there is no drivers haha.. (unless there is :eek: :D )So I came to try and Install Windows 7 but it Hangs before I can even press any button any clues as to why? and how to Install it.

(Boot Camp 2.0)

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

You need Snow Leopard/Boot Camp 3.0 for a supported W7 install, and your machine needs to be on a short list for Apple to officially support 64 bit.

More details in this thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1015997&highlight=

XP64 is not supported.

Beyond that you are in unsupported territory. You may be able to use jowie's method to bypass any EFI32 incompatibilities if that is the problem...

B

3. chundel thread starter macrumors newbie

ok so i have to get SL which is pretty cheap at 35 bucks (canadian), but i dont inderstand how im not supported as macs before mine are, what is not 64 bit about the macbook late 2008? ram dont matter my CPU is capable, the nvidia chipset seems to be fine with other macs for 64 bit so, that cant be the problem. what is it? I've read somewhere something about the EFI (which I come to understand as a mac version of the BIOS).

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

EFI has been around as a BIOS alternative for a long time. Apple has been using it in all Intel Macs, but the first version of Windows to natively support it and GPT formatted HDDs is W7 64.

Unfortunately Apple used an older version of the spec than what Microsoft chose to support in 7, so there are "issues". Not insurmountable, but not easy to package in something like Boot Camp Assistant.

http://www.jowie.com/blog/post/2008...t-from-Vista-x64-DVD-burnt-from-iso-file.aspx describes an approach to modify the ISO so it will boot.

B