Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nnoble

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 19, 2011
After a short but intensive period of problems with my iPhone 6s+ (stalling, freezing) I accepted 'scrap value' from Apple and paid the difference for an Iphone SE 64gb. I walked out of the store thinking - well that's life, and for a couple of days I was not angry, but I was feeling non-plussed. The SE has grown on me to the extent that I'm actually happy about how things have turned out. Before the 6 I had a 4s and loved it, even used it while experiencing problems with the 6s+. For anyone frustrated with non-performing expensive models, if the SE can do what you need it to do, then go and get one. But beware! It is so light, handy and unobtrusive, I left mine in my trouser pocket and put it in with the washing - a ping from a text message saved the day. Finally, I based my decision on the relative lack of SE related complaints on these forums, so my thanks to Macrumors.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
After a short but intensive period of problems with my iPhone 6s+ (stalling, freezing) I accepted 'scrap value' from Apple and paid the difference for an Iphone SE 64gb. I walked out of the store thinking - well that's life, and for a couple of days I was not angry, but I was feeling non-plussed. The SE has grown on me to the extent that I'm actually happy about how things have turned out. Before the 6 I had a 4s and loved it, even used it while experiencing problems with the 6s+. For anyone frustrated with non-performing expensive models, if the SE can do what you need it to do, then go and get one. But beware! It is so light, handy and unobtrusive, I left mine in my trouser pocket and put it in with the washing - a ping from a text message saved the day. Finally, I based my decision on the relative lack of SE related complaints on these forums, so my thanks to Macrumors.
I'm glad you like the SE.

For me personally, though I cannot go back to that size. An iPhone 5 was my primary phone for 2.5 years and the SE, while more powerful, shares the same size and form factor as that phone. I went straight to the 6+ and later to the 6s+ (which I have now). Took me less than give minutes to get used to the size of the plus.

We keep our old phones though so my wife's 5 is now serving as my son's primary phone. Just had it replaced actually, because the battery was swelling. My own 5 is a media device and I still love it. Just don't have any desire to go back to that size for a primary phone.

Tom G.

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Champaign/Urbana Illinois
Congratulations on your new iPhone. I'm glad that it's working out for you. The "ymmv" informal abbreviation exists for a reason-it's needed. There are some people who post on forums like this one who feel that their choices have to be validated by others getting the same thing, and setting it up the same way. Not true at all, at all. I like the larger screen of my 7+ because it is easier on my 70+ year old eyes, and I enjoy the extra photography features as well. These features are not at all important to others.

Some people, poor lost souls, even prefer other makes of smartphones. :D

Again, enjoy!

wproct

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2014
Iowa
Congrats on your new SE. I recently upgraded from a 5s to my 6s and kept the 5s for insurance in case something happens to my new phone. Honestly, I could go back to the 5s if need be without much difficulty, I just loved that phone. I actually struggled with the decision as to whether to get the 6s or SE. I finally decided that I should at least just try the bigger screen. I am just happy that Apple offers so many options in regards to phone size, hope they keep it up..

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
I would really love to know the quarterly sales for the SE. Best poorly kept 'secret' around.

Do we really need to spend hundreds more for the sake of a bigger screen and force-touch???
I went from a 6S+ to the SE last year and love it so much I never even considered a 7. I did miss force touch at first but the smaller size is far more convenient and it's my favourite phone since the 4S (I never had a 5 / 5S as I was on an Android phase then)

Reactions: yep-sure

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
What's the jb alternative?

SwipeSelection Pro - run your finger along the keyboard to move the cursor forwards or backwards.

Invaluable tweak...I have it on my iPad2 as well as my 6s.

Works quicker than force-touch. Not to mention it came out -years- before force-touch debuted.

Last edited:

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I would really love to know the quarterly sales for the SE. Best poorly kept 'secret' around.

Do we really need to spend hundreds more for the sake of a bigger screen and force-touch???
The answer for me is yes. I currently have a 5s and a 6s in service. I take the families old iphones, so I actually have an iphone 4 as well.

I take to 5s to the gym and there are days I miss the form factor of the 5s and days I like the bigger form factor of the 6s with 3dt.

In general, though I never thought the 5s was "perfect" and don't think the 6s is "perfect" either. Sadly I almost bought the 7+.:rolleyes:

M. Gustave

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2015
Grand Budapest Hotel
What do you use it for? I only use it for the keyboard trackpad.

IMG_1932.PNG

Reactions: BigMcGuire

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
as my 6 becomes more and more unusable, I'm torn on where to go from here.

honestly I've had such a miserable experience with the 6 I'm about to throw in the towel with apple completely (maybe android will be garbage too, but maybe I'll at least get cheaper garbage).

that said, for me my 3.5" 4S was the most usable smartphone experience I've had, and it appears the SE is the only thing left on the market that even remotely caters to fans of that form factor. but its 1.5 year old tech, and my 6 hasn't exactly stood up well after 2.5 years, so again, I'm kinda in a disillusioned state with what to get anymore. :(

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
as my 6 becomes more and more unusable, I'm torn on where to go from here.

honestly I've had such a miserable experience with the 6 I'm about to throw in the towel with apple completely (maybe android will be garbage too, but maybe I'll at least get cheaper garbage).

that said, for me my 3.5" 4S was the most usable smartphone experience I've had, and it appears the SE is the only thing left on the market that even remotely caters to fans of that form factor. but its 1.5 year old tech, and my 6 hasn't exactly stood up well after 2.5 years, so again, I'm kinda in a disillusioned state with what to get anymore. :(
It doesn't matter if the SE is 1.5 years old. It is more than capable of handling the needs of phone, internet and music use, in my opinion.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
I went from a 6S+ to the SE last year and love it so much I never even considered a 7. I did miss force touch at first but the smaller size is far more convenient and it's my favourite phone since the 4S (I never had a 5 / 5S as I was on an Android phase then)

I love my SE too. Still use the 4S upstairs for audiobooks now, and the 5C in my studio for music and WiFi checks of news / weather / mail.

Big fan of the smaller form factor. Something bigger needed, I reach for an iPad or just use my laptop.

Yeah, I thought this topic was about switching to a dumb phone. My friend was just thinking about doing this yesterday.

At first I too thought that's what this thread was about. If the SE hadn't come along, my next phone after the 5C was going to be a dumbphone and I'd just stick an iPad mini in my handbag for the "everything else". I hope Apple keeps the SE size going in its future lineups.

Reactions: Phil A.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.