Happiness Report: Mavericks, SSD on 2009 13" MBP

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by 147798, Oct 23, 2013.

1. 147798 Suspended

Dec 29, 2007
    I know a lot of folks are having issues with the download, etc. but I just wanted to say that I'm really happy with the Mavericks upgrade.

Quick backstory -- I was so unhappy with ML upgrade (upgraded from SL, skipping Lion) on my 09MBP, that I was thinking of upgrading to a new laptop. Someone convinced me to instead add an SSD for boot. That helped a lot, but it still wasn't great.

Mavericks has really helped. Performance feels really snappy the last 16 hours or however long I've been running it (and I've been hammering away since I upgraded, save my 6 1/2 hours of shuteye last night). I did, however, have to run diskutility from my recovery partition, as I was having some kind of file permissions issue.

The upgrade took a while to download but went very smooth to the SSD. The SSD is only about 25% full, if that matters at all.

The system feels VERY responsive. For the record, this is a 2.26C2D, Nvidia 9400GM, 8GB RAM with the SSD in the optical bay.

Hope you get the same goodness and joy!
  2. robvas macrumors 68020

Mar 29, 2009
  3. 147798 thread starter Suspended

Dec 29, 2007
    OCW -- 256gb.

I understand there are better ones, but I've had good luck with OCW, and I was able to buy all the pieces I needed from 1 place (the drive, the holder and the case for the external DVD).
  4. scaredpoet macrumors 604

Apr 6, 2007
    I will say that I too am really happy with my 2010 MBP 15 inch Core i5 2.3GHz, that I upgraded to a Crucial M500 SSD. I'd say that for normal use, the speed on it is almost indistinguishable from the speed of my 13" MacBook Air 2013 i7 8GB that I bought to replace it. Now, I think I'll be keeping that MBP for a while longer, along with the MBA.
  5. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

Apr 21, 2010
    My case is practically the same. I have a white MB with the same specs (9400m, 8gb, ssd). Mav's running nicely, but I feel that SL performed a little better, although I think the new features are worth. Maybe in the future I'll try the home-made fusion drive.