Happiness Report: Mavericks, SSD on 2009 13" MBP

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by bking1000, Oct 23, 2013.

1. bking1000 macrumors 6502a

I know a lot of folks are having issues with the download, etc. but I just wanted to say that I'm really happy with the Mavericks upgrade.

Quick backstory -- I was so unhappy with ML upgrade (upgraded from SL, skipping Lion) on my 09MBP, that I was thinking of upgrading to a new laptop. Someone convinced me to instead add an SSD for boot. That helped a lot, but it still wasn't great.

Mavericks has really helped. Performance feels really snappy the last 16 hours or however long I've been running it (and I've been hammering away since I upgraded, save my 6 1/2 hours of shuteye last night). I did, however, have to run diskutility from my recovery partition, as I was having some kind of file permissions issue.

The upgrade took a while to download but went very smooth to the SSD. The SSD is only about 25% full, if that matters at all.

The system feels VERY responsive. For the record, this is a 2.26C2D, Nvidia 9400GM, 8GB RAM with the SSD in the optical bay.

Hope you get the same goodness and joy!

2. robvas macrumors 68020

3. bking1000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

OCW -- 256gb.

I understand there are better ones, but I've had good luck with OCW, and I was able to buy all the pieces I needed from 1 place (the drive, the holder and the case for the external DVD).

4. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I will say that I too am really happy with my 2010 MBP 15 inch Core i5 2.3GHz, that I upgraded to a Crucial M500 SSD. I'd say that for normal use, the speed on it is almost indistinguishable from the speed of my 13" MacBook Air 2013 i7 8GB that I bought to replace it. Now, I think I'll be keeping that MBP for a while longer, along with the MBA.

5. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

My case is practically the same. I have a white MB with the same specs (9400m, 8gb, ssd). Mav's running nicely, but I feel that SL performed a little better, although I think the new features are worth. Maybe in the future I'll try the home-made fusion drive.