Happy 2nd Birthday MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Full of Win, May 16, 2008.

1. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

Dateline 16 May 2006: Apple releases the MacBook. To mark this event, I've put a song we should all sing below.

Happy Birthday to you

Happy Birthday to you

Happy Birthday dear MacBook

Happy Birthday to you

...and you smell like a burning tire too!

2. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

and may I say how much the first few rev a's sucked.

I'm typing on one now that's had pretty much every issue but I've never been able to send it off to apple for repair as I can't afford the downtime, it really is horrifically bad.

3. mwdmeyer macrumors member

I love my gen a macbook, but I've had just about everything in it die.

Battery died, replaced under warranty.
    HDD died, replaced myself.
    Wireless card died, replaced myself.
    top casing went yellow, got replaced under warranty.
    top casing got a crack on the right side, got replaced under warranty.

I've also replaced the ram in it but the that was just an upgrade.

Oh and I think the LCD inverter is dying.

I'll probably replace it at the end of the year. Hoping for an X4500 video card, but that is about it.

4. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Sorry to go OT but can I ask a question.

When SJ introduced the MBP he said they were 1.67 and 1.83 respectively, but wiki says the first gen were 1.83, 2.0, and 2.16 respectively.

Oh and

HB2U
    HB2U
    HBDMB
    HB2U

5. David2070 macrumors member

I've got a rev A MBP and it a 1.83. I think they updated the specs between SJ announcing them and them shipping.

6. karenflower macrumors 6502a

karenflower

Happy Birthday! :D

Isn't it great when inanimate objects have birthdays too. Last month it was my fridge's birthday, although we forgot to have a party. :eek: (true story, not sarcasm!!) :cool:

Attached Files:

7. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

I recall that. I remember people who had ordered them got a speed bump while waiting for them to ship.

8. David2070 macrumors member

Did you get your fridge a present? :D

9. Luzzio macrumors regular

Luzzio

Is it standard procedure to check your harddisk contents when replacing casings?

I'd rather they not look inside it if I were to send my MB repairs in the future *touchwood*

P.S. Happy birthday!

10. karenflower macrumors 6502a

karenflower

Umm. . I got it the present of food, and then the extra present of having it taken out and eaten. (the food, not the fridge!) :p

11. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

2 years already? It seems like only yesterday...

Being a rev A MacBook, it's had the logic board, heatsink, battery, keyboard and display bezel all replaced, and I've upped the RAM from 0.5GB to 2GB, and the HDD from 60GB to 120GB, and I'll probably upgrade it again to 200GB. My iTunes and iPhoto libraries literally take up half the HDD space :p

I'm really hoping it'll last me for another 2 or 3 years to come, even if it isn't my primary computer. It's been through hell and back, only taking some minor scratches and a crack in the right corner of the keyboard as proof.

Here's the birthday machine;
    [​IMG]

12. krye macrumors 68000

krye

My rev A MacBook has been awesome. I have never had any problems, quirks or breakdowns. And I'm the second owner. I built this from 2 broken units I got off eBay. One had a smashed display and the other had water damaged to the logicboard. I swapped displays, maxed the RAM , and bought a new, bigger hdd. All is good. I've been using it for over a year problem free.

http://web.mac.com/ryemac3/RyeMAC3/Welcome/Entries/2007/2/13_The_eBay_MacBook_Hookup.html

13. bobertoq macrumors 6502a

My MacBook is in horrible condition.

The display is cracking, the battery is shot, the HDD has died, the optical drive doesn't work, the screen flickers..... This is why I like desktops so much better :D

14. TheStu macrumors 65816

My Rev A MacBook is nearing it's 2nd birthday coming this August, and it has been an absolute champ these past 21 months. Surviving falls, throws, hits, water, cold and heat, it chugs along like nothing has happened. In the past few months it has been put on desk duty, a much safer posting than its previous college duty. College duty being every MacBook's least favorite assignment, poor hours, crappy pay, and no respect, that is what me and my MacBook got during that time, and that was when most of the incidents happened.

Now it happily sits hooked up to my 24" monitor, driving video with no issues, I've got my wired slim keyboard hooked up to it along with my VX revolution, and it is a great great thing.

Happy Birthday MacBook, you rock.

15. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

mine has no issues but was the low end and i hate it i cant belive i still have the 60gb and the keyboard top finish came off and its slow and theres a dead pixel :mad:

16. DCSMAC macrumors member

i still have a gen A macbook as well...

failed HD, battery that all of sudden died.

otherwise it has been a good computer, and still chugs through almost anything with its 2GB of ram.

17. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I used my rev. A a good year and a half. It held up fairly well, but had it's fair share of problems ("moo," whine, staining, random shutdowns). Now I've got a SR version, and I think it's a lot better made.

18. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

heres mine i had to white some out cause it was too big lol and thats the black cover that hides a big blotch of white that came off and its running xp in that pic :p

Attached Files:

19. ki2594 macrumors 6502a

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!
    I got my Penryn model right here which im typing on...heres my setup!

Attached Files:

20. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

lol mines beside my emac most the time in a simalar set up just mine is like a bigger desk

21. ki2594 macrumors 6502a

nicee. Yeah that acer screen is actuallly the macbook but i turned the actual display all the way down on brightness to save batterryy :)

22. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Fortunately Apple replaced my 1st gen lemon (after a total of over 2 months in repair spread over a longer time, and a lot of time on the phone and in the store) with a 2.16 C2D :).

23. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

and the screen life of course mine has a dead/brunt pixel