Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
Dateline 16 May 2006: Apple releases the MacBook. To mark this event, I've put a song we should all sing below.

Happy Birthday to you

Happy Birthday to you

Happy Birthday dear MacBook

Happy Birthday to you

...and you smell like a burning tire too!

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
and may I say how much the first few rev a's sucked.

I'm typing on one now that's had pretty much every issue but I've never been able to send it off to apple for repair as I can't afford the downtime, it really is horrifically bad.

mwdmeyer

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2004
Sydney, Australia
I love my gen a macbook, but I've had just about everything in it die.

Battery died, replaced under warranty.
HDD died, replaced myself.
Wireless card died, replaced myself.
top casing went yellow, got replaced under warranty.
top casing got a crack on the right side, got replaced under warranty.

I've also replaced the ram in it but the that was just an upgrade.

Oh and I think the LCD inverter is dying.

I'll probably replace it at the end of the year. Hoping for an X4500 video card, but that is about it.

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
Sorry to go OT but can I ask a question.

When SJ introduced the MBP he said they were 1.67 and 1.83 respectively, but wiki says the first gen were 1.83, 2.0, and 2.16 respectively.

Oh and

HB2U
HB2U
HBDMB
HB2U

David2070

macrumors member
May 14, 2008
UK
Sorry to go OT but can I ask a question.

When SJ introduced the MBP he said they were 1.67 and 1.83 respectively, but wiki says the first gen were 1.83, 2.0, and 2.16 respectively.

Oh and

HB2U
HB2U
HBDMB
HB2U

I've got a rev A MBP and it a 1.83. I think they updated the specs between SJ announcing them and them shipping.

karenflower

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2007
Happy Birthday! :D

Isn't it great when inanimate objects have birthdays too. Last month it was my fridge's birthday, although we forgot to have a party. :eek: (true story, not sarcasm!!) :cool:

Attachments

• cakeapplelogo.jpg
    cakeapplelogo.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 71

Luzzio

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2008
Malaysia
Is it standard procedure to check your harddisk contents when replacing casings?

I'd rather they not look inside it if I were to send my MB repairs in the future *touchwood*

P.S. Happy birthday!

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
2 years already? It seems like only yesterday...

Being a rev A MacBook, it's had the logic board, heatsink, battery, keyboard and display bezel all replaced, and I've upped the RAM from 0.5GB to 2GB, and the HDD from 60GB to 120GB, and I'll probably upgrade it again to 200GB. My iTunes and iPhoto libraries literally take up half the HDD space :p

I'm really hoping it'll last me for another 2 or 3 years to come, even if it isn't my primary computer. It's been through hell and back, only taking some minor scratches and a crack in the right corner of the keyboard as proof.

Here's the birthday machine;
mbhalfwn9.jpg

krye

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2007
USA
My rev A MacBook has been awesome. I have never had any problems, quirks or breakdowns. And I'm the second owner. I built this from 2 broken units I got off eBay. One had a smashed display and the other had water damaged to the logicboard. I swapped displays, maxed the RAM , and bought a new, bigger hdd. All is good. I've been using it for over a year problem free.

http://web.mac.com/ryemac3/RyeMAC3/Welcome/Entries/2007/2/13_The_eBay_MacBook_Hookup.html

bobertoq

macrumors 6502a
Feb 29, 2008
My MacBook is in horrible condition.

The display is cracking, the battery is shot, the HDD has died, the optical drive doesn't work, the screen flickers..... This is why I like desktops so much better :D

TheStu

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2006
Carlisle, PA
My Rev A MacBook is nearing it's 2nd birthday coming this August, and it has been an absolute champ these past 21 months. Surviving falls, throws, hits, water, cold and heat, it chugs along like nothing has happened. In the past few months it has been put on desk duty, a much safer posting than its previous college duty. College duty being every MacBook's least favorite assignment, poor hours, crappy pay, and no respect, that is what me and my MacBook got during that time, and that was when most of the incidents happened.

Now it happily sits hooked up to my 24" monitor, driving video with no issues, I've got my wired slim keyboard hooked up to it along with my VX revolution, and it is a great great thing.

Happy Birthday MacBook, you rock.

MacHappytjg

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2008
Winnipeg
mine has no issues but was the low end and i hate it i cant belive i still have the 60gb and the keyboard top finish came off and its slow and theres a dead pixel :mad:

DCSMAC

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2005
i still have a gen A macbook as well...

failed HD, battery that all of sudden died.

otherwise it has been a good computer, and still chugs through almost anything with its 2GB of ram.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I used my rev. A a good year and a half. It held up fairly well, but had it's fair share of problems ("moo," whine, staining, random shutdowns). Now I've got a SR version, and I think it's a lot better made.

ki2594

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2008
Carmel, IN.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!
I got my Penryn model right here which im typing on...heres my setup!

Attachments

• 17052008.jpg
    17052008.jpg
    281.9 KB · Views: 67

Retired
May 16, 2006
Fortunately Apple replaced my 1st gen lemon (after a total of over 2 months in repair spread over a longer time, and a lot of time on the phone and in the store) with a 2.16 C2D :).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.