Happy 70th, Professor Hawking!

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
An amazing run that is not over yet for Stephen Hawking.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/45919031/ns/today-today_tech/t/hawking-turns-too-ill-attend-celebration/#.Twrpi92PWf4

MSNBC said:
The world's most widely recognized living scientist Stephen Hawking was too ill to attend his 70th birthday celebrations Sunday but was hailed by colleagues as one of the most brilliant theoretical physicists since Einstein.

Hawking, the author of the international bestseller "A Brief History of Time" in 1988, was honoured for his breakthroughs into theories of time and relativity, but also for his ability to make complex science accessible.

At a birthday symposium for the scientist, who was diagnosed with motorneuron disease in 1963 and told he had barely two years to live, Britain's astronomer royal said Hawking had defied medical and scientific odds. The head of his elite Cambridge University said he had "changed our perception of the universe."
Hawking is recovering from hospitalisation and apparently his speech will be delivered on his behalf, with him watching from home.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
A truly brilliant mind. This man deserves a standing ovation. Have one on me Steve.

arkitect

macrumors 603
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
Happy birthday to great and beautiful mind.

Against such odds.
Currently he is able to select about a word a minute using the system, making the task of writing speeches, such as the 30 minutes he wrote for Sunday, an arduous and impressive task.
Link

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
One day I'll pick up a Brief History of Time.

Happy birthday Stephen Hawking indeed!

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
One day I'll pick up a Brief History of Time.

Happy birthday Stephen Hawking indeed!
I read it as an undergraduate at University. Well worth a read.

I would have never of guessed he has just turned 70!