Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mainframe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2005
Sydney,Australia
just picked up my macbook today
black, 2 gigs of ram.

it is perfect, no mooing no noises, cant really even hear the fan unless you put your ear right on it, and that is with it charging and ripping cds while using im clients and surfing the net.

when i first turned it on it wasnt as speedy as i thought it would be, but after i zapped the ram and repaired permissions, its snappy as anything.
the screen is perfect, no dead pixels at all
keyboard is wider than im used to , feels wider than my imac's bluetooth keyboard.

it is luke warm in the top left area, but certainly no where even near 'hot' at all.
and the rest of it is cool.
im also in a pretty warm room with the heater on (tis winter down here)

the only thing that was annoying was the trackpad button wasnt responding unless i pressed harder than it took it to click, but i removed the battery and pressed on the metal circle like somone said to do in the apple discussions on apple.com and its working fine now

very happy with it, and im glad i got rid of the 12" powerbook for it

also glad i went with black, its gorgeous.

jcjcjc87

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2006
Good to hear...

I will be getting a Macbook 2.0Ghz White soon. It will be my first Mac i have owned.

Great review, but what did you mean when you said "zapped the RAM and repaired permissions".

Pardon the ignorance!

Cheers

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
i got my macbook last wednesday (24th May). Was i the first in Australia to have one? i know my local reseller only got theirs in today (friday 26th).

cighh

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2006
perfect Macbook?

check all the seams all the way around the Macbook - including the bezel surrounding the screen - see if there are any small gaps? or loose plastic?

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
OMG! i found a defect in mine! above the second screw from the bottom left on the side, the cover plastic isnt perfectly straight! there is a depression of about 1/4 a millimetre! im taking it back right now!!!!!!!
</sarcasm>

no im not. apart from this extremely minor defect which i only noticed just now after 3 days of using it, my macbook is absolutely perfect. No cracks in the plastic, after 20 mins of "yes > /dev/null" in two terminal windows, the temp is hovering around 80 C, but the case is only slightly warm, no mooing, no whining...

in fact the only thing i dont like about it is that the glossy screen gets gease marks etc stuck on easily. i have to go at it with the microfibre cloth pretty hard for a bit. It sucks because i have a cold, im coughing everywhere, and stuff inevitably finds its way from my mouth to the screen. When i wipe it off with my fingers, it leaves a big stain on the screen.

THIS JUST IN: less than half a minute after closing the Terminal windows, the temp plummeted from 80 to 57 C! My thermal grease is on good an thin!

cighh

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2006
yea- In the grand scheme of things - these "issues" are pretty minor (with the exception of some of the very early ones that ran excessively hot.

everyone who owns a Macbook - enjoy it! (the plusses far outweigh the negatives)

JM

mainframe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2005
Sydney,Australia
i am an artist and designer - and a perfectionist when it comes to my tech toys.

trust me when i say if there way even a molecule out of place i would be the one to notice it. - the edges are seamless and perfect. there are no gaps or elevated areas whatsoever, the battery fits in 100% snug and tight, the screen doesnt make a noise or feel stiff when opening or closing.
even the power button is peeerrrffecccttllyy centred and depresses in the nicest way, it feels nicer to turn on by the power button than the powerbook did, even if the powerbooks button was sexy shiny metal.

i zapped the pram because they installed it in the apple shop, not at the apple factory, and because it was acting a little sluggish - zapping the ram can fix all sorts of wierd little issues, and is good to do every now and then.

the trackpad button is perfect now that i have pressed the circle insde under the battery

and i popped in the disc and custom installed the developer tools, CHUD tools. which gives you an extra option in the system preferances for PROCESSOR and you can click a box to make it show in the toolbar up the top which i have. which lets you shut down one of the core duo cores and operate on one processor, and monitor the processes being performed on each one etc. its cool :D

and dvds on this thing is incredible.
still no noises, no heat and no dead pixels.

i am thrilled with it :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.