Happy Birthday Mac Mini

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Crosscreek, Jan 11, 2015.

1. Crosscreek macrumors 68030

Crosscreek

2. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

The only way is up!

3. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Might be a good day to fire up my Mac mini G4 :D

Or down, to soldered RAM and dual-core only CPUs :p

4. MechaSpanky macrumors 6502

MechaSpanky

I have one of the first models (G4) and I use it daily even still (along side a newer iMac). I keep it around to run some older software that I have. It is still running like a dream after all these years! I don't use it for web browsing though, it is too slow but it runs older software like a champ!

5. dogslobber macrumors 68020

dogslobber

We're only in revision two of the chassis!

6. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

The current case cannot be improved upon*. It's what's going on inside that gives cause for concern.

*Although a double height mini plus with a PCIe slot and a return to non-soldered memory/storage would be nice, obviously...

7. Crosscreek thread starter macrumors 68030

Crosscreek

Totally agree both points. ;)

8. Micky Do, Jan 11, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2015

Micky Do macrumors 68000

Micky Do

And about nine and a half years since I bought my first Mac Mini, the 2005 original. It was the first computer I owned, and it meant I could work from home

I had never wanted a portable ( and still don't) but did want something that was easily transportable. Also, having had a good computing experience on the first Mac at university twenty years previously, and indifferent to poor experience on Windows based machines after, I wanted to go back to Mac.

I am now using my second Mac Mini, the early 2009 model, which answered most of the shortcomings of the original, and continues to serve my simple work and home needs quite well. The flatter broader unibody Mini does look a bit more aesthetically peaking, but the original shape is more practical from my own point of view.

When the need arises, in a year or two or three or more, when replacement becomes more cost effective than repair or upgrade, I reckon my next computer will also be a Mac Mini…...

Despite the naysayers and knockers, who expect an ever more mighty Mini, predicting its demise if they don't see one every year or so, a modestly specced Mac Mini is all the computer that many people need. The Mac Mini, in some form, will almost certainly be around for another decade, and beyond.

Happy birthday to the Mac Mini, the only computer I have ever owned.

9. scottsjack macrumors 68000

One improvement to the case would be about 15mm height so as to accommodate a dGPU, a more powerful power supply and better cooling for a quad-core CPU. Unfortunately I do not think that Apple is interested in that kind of computers any longer. It's all about phones, tablets, laptops and two-ear obsolescence right now.

10. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

The next Mac mini comes with a Mono audio port. ;-)