Happy Birthday Mac OS X

Discussion in 'macOS' started by elppa, Mar 24, 2013.

1. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

I thought someone would have mentioned this already and I couldn't find anything by searching…

[​IMG]

But Mac OS X is 12 today.

Version 10.0.0 was released to the world (in a still not quite finished state) on 24th March 2001.

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Still remember those days, shortly after I bought my first Mac (Pismo-OS 9) but 10.0 was slow and buggy, 10.1 was already quite a bit faster.
    Seems to be just yesterday.

3. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Wow, lovely!

Happy birthday!

So, you guys all remember the day 10.0.0 was born? Any of you got the Mac OS X Public Beta?

Strolling back memory lane.... I had the privilege to be able to play with Mac OS X Server 1.0 (aka "Rhapsody") when it came out. This server-only OS was Apple's first attempt of getting the NeXSTEP >> OPENSTEP >> Rhapsody >> Mac OS X sold to the public. As Mac OS X Server 1.x didn't have Carbon as API, so it could only run native (Cocoa) apps, but it did have the "TrueBlueEnvironment", later known as "Classic", which could startup OS 8.6 inside a virtual box.

Mac OS X 10 Public Beta did have the Carbon API. Apps like Internet Explorer were installed default. Mac OS X 10.0 wasn't much different. Not many apps were running native on Mac OS X. No DVD player, no iTunes, no Adobe apps etc, which of course, were available on Mac OS 9.x
    Funny enough MS Office was available pretty quickly. Office 98 was ported over (using the Carbon API) and Office X was born.

10.1 became more usable and 10.2 actually was finally better to use than Mac OS 9.
    But, not until 10.3 (Panther) was Mac OS X mature. Not only the OS, but the apps as well.
    Back in those days "versiontracker.com" was the place to be if you wanted a list of new apps for the Mac. Up until Mac OS X 10.3 there were more new apps for Mac OS 9 than for Mac OS X.
    Since 10.4 (Tiger) hardly any new apps for Mac OS 9 were made.

Nowadays people hardly know about Mac OS 9 and before. Good. It died in 2002.

So, happy birthday OS X!

4. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

^^Oh, forgot about the public beta, I run that as well, not really up for prime time.:eek: