Happy Ending for my rMBP nightmare...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jim L, Nov 11, 2014.

1. Jim L macrumors regular

Hi all! Like many people, I'm more likely to complain about something bad than to share about it when something good happens.
    Today I'm going to do the latter...

A little background -- I bought my former Macbook Pro Retina 15" on 8/1/2013 on the tax-free weekend in my state which made it a better deal. It was still expensive ($2k after a $200 discount at Bestbuy). Mine was a 15" Retina model with 256 GB SSD and 8 GB memory. It was an i7 quad-core 2.4 processor and had 2 video cards (NVIDIA and Intel). I had 3-yr Applecare on it too.

About 10 months ago I started having random problems with it shutting down during use. The shutdown resembled sleep mode, but nothing would wake it up except a hard restart. It didn't happen frequently, but was very annoying. This past summer as the problem got worse, I decided to setup a Genius bar appointment to see if they could fix it. They agreed that (from my description of its behavior) it was a hardware problem. After 2 in-store repairs and a third repair that they sent it out for a week I took it home hoping that was the last of it. I did a clean install of Yosemite and my docs and settings (didn't even install any apps other than Dropbox). After another week and a half the problem happened again and I took a video of it with my iPad. I called Apple Support about it for the 4th time. A senior analyst opened a case for me and I sent him the video. He set me up with another Genius bar appointment and I took my computer in last Friday.

:( Let me say that at this point I was not hopeful about another visit to the Apple store. I also hated using the laptop because I felt I had made a bad decision spending this much on a computer that acted up like this. I have 2 other Macs (iMac and Mac mini) so I wouldn't be completely stranded if this one died, but the main reason for having it was portability. I felt I couldn't take it with me when I went out of town because it might start acting up.

Anyway, last Friday after work I went straight to my Genius bar appointment with the macbook pro. After I got up to the counter, the guy helping me read through the notes on my case and the other repairs. He asked a few questions and I described again what was happening and told him I even had a video of it occurring. He asked me to wait a few minutes while he went to check on something. (I remember wondering how long they were going to keep it this time and whether or not it would really come back fixed.) He went into a side room and looked like he was talking to the supervisor. Both of them came up to me and said to be patient a little longer and they would take care of this. I waited about 5 minutes more and the supervisor came back and gave a white box to the Genius bar guy. Then he came back to me and said they were really sorry about this, but they felt the best way to resolve the issue for me was to replace my Mac with a brand new one.

**** I instantly felt so RELIEVED and HAPPY! :):):) ****

When the Genius bar guy and his supervisor were closing out my paperwork, they kind of made apologies for the new MBPr because it was only 2.2 GHz instead of my old one 2.4 GHz, but he did say that the processor was a newer generation, yadda yadda yadda. I kind of glossed over it, but was glad to be done with this problem!

As far as I can tell, having the new one is better to me because it doesn't have the issue any more and it seems a little faster than my old Mac.

Later after reading the specs on both I see that the newer one has the advantage in:

• Faster wi-fi
    • Thunderbolt 2 instead of TB1
    • Faster SSD
    • 16 GB ram instead of 8
    • A little better battery life

The old macbook pro only had an advantage in:

• 2 video cards instead of one
    • 2.4 GHz instead of 2.2

What do you all think? Just curious, but I think I came out better and I'm really pleased to now have a reliable Mac I can enjoy using.

Also, very VERY glad to have Applecare and I will continue to buy it on all my products.

2. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

If you're happy with it, that's all that matters isn't it?

3. ano0oj macrumors 6502

I've had great experiences with the Genius Bar..
    My old MBP logic board started to fail a few months after my applecare had expired(of course). But since I had no previous claims, they took care of it free of charge even though my applecare was no longer valid.

4. nerowolfe macrumors member

The loss of the dGPU would be too much to stomach, but I'd be happy with an otherwise better-spec'ed replacement.

5. Jim L thread starter macrumors regular

I think so. :D

But everyone likes affirmation.

----------

If I were using it for major gaming or other GPU intensive tasks, I might not like the loss of the dGPU. The tradeoff is extra heat and less battery life.

This Mac seems to perform well enough for me. Video-wise all I care about is being able to view a video on youtube or watch a movie on iTunes, Plex or Amazon. It does that well.

6. nerowolfe macrumors member

Yup. It's all about your needs. I just assumed since you'd got the one with dGPU in the 1st place that you had some use for it.

It's a solid replacement either way.

7. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

The Mid '12 and Early '13 15" rMBPs all had dGPUs. They got deleted from the base Haswell (Late '13 onwards).

8. nerowolfe macrumors member

Thank you for the info. Doesn't diminish my point about buying a Macbook that has a dGPU out of need.

Regardless, the added 8gb of RAM alone justifies the downgrade to iris from a dGPU to the average mac user, in particular since both provide casual gaming power.

Never had to repair my 2-year old rMBP so far, but having already extended Apple Care, I take comfort in hearing about experiences such as that of the OP, that I've made the right choice by doing so.

9. anaqvi786 macrumors regular

Congratulations on your new MacBook Pro, I think you will like it better for a long time :)