Happy Father's Day

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ucfgrad93, Jun 17, 2012.

1. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Happy Father's Day to all the dads here at MR. I hope you have a great day with your family.

2. malman89 macrumors 68000

^ Very touching.

Well, I'm actually home for the first time in years, so I'm taking my dad out to lunch and then got him a gift card to his favorite restaurant. He's an insanely low maintenance guy who really doesn't want/need much, so figured I'd get him something practical that he'd appreciate since he goes there weekly at least.

3. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

I twitted HFD to my Facebook status. Two things my dad knows nothing about.

4. eric/ Guest

eric/

ha, you would be surprised at the number of people who probably do that.

I honestly don't know why I even sent him that. neither of us care about the holiday. Weird family.

5. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

I like the posts to the dead people. Everyone knows heaven is still on MySpace.

6. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Happy fathers day to all the dads out there! Grill some steak and drink some beers!

7. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

I know Father's Day is supposed to be about Dad, but since becoming a father the day has really changed in meaning for me. Don't get me wrong, it's nice to be appreciated and all that, but every year I'm reminded of how blessed I am to have my children and family. I'm reminded of the responsibility it is to be a Dad and that I must understand and respect the influence I have. I'm reminded of the need to be intentional about showing love and spending time with my children even though I can so easily get selfish. The daily grind and the negativity in life can quickly stamp out the simple joys and often being a dad can seem like a burden or a chore. Father's Day snaps me out of that self centered view, humbles me, and brings back the appreciation of how much being a father enriches my life.

You may think it's odd, but on a day when my children are supposed to be appreciative of me, all I can do is feel appreciation for them. :)

8. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

I can totally understand this point of view. My little girl is 10 and she backed me biscuits and bought me some presents. We then hung out in the morning whilst I helped her on Sonic Racer (as she can't always get the score she needs to progress). I then remembered I hadn't done anything for my dad, and as he is 200 miles away he had to settle for a voice mail (as he wasn't picking up) and a text.

To all the dads on here. Remember to appreciate your kids everyday. Remember cats in the cradle/Ugly kid Joe!