Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

samiznaetekto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 26, 2009
After several years of being a devoted monogamous Apple fanboi, it suddenly struck me that I don't have to believe that there's one and only one true soulmate "till death do us apart". With some incredible deals, I can afford to "think different" and look around and try something new, instead of narrow-mindedly thinking that only Apple is the best and all these Androids and Windozes suck.

So, $500 got me:

- rMini for $199 (after $200 iPad 1 trade-in at Target)
- Nexus 7 (2013) for $199 (Walmart)
- Dell Venue 8 Pro for $99 (today's superhot deal at Microsoft store)

And boy, I'm just stocked!!! I instantly fell in love with both Nexus and Dell. And I still love rMini, too. So here I am, lying in bed with three beauties surrounding me and competing for my attention. (And no, I'm not typing this on any of them - typing on my trusty MBP 17" - even more love! :D)

So, why such a sudden transformation? I converted to Apple ecosystem from Windows in 2007, when I bought iPhone 1 and realized how good Apple stuff is. In these 6 years, I purchased dozens of Apple products, and still love them. I also learned iOS programming and became an iOS developer. (For my previous work, I did Windows programming.)

In these years, I always dismissed Android and Windows as inferior, "they suck", "they just don't work", etc. etc. But in the last couple of years and especially after a couple of months of living with this horror that is called iOS7, I started paying attention to what's happening in these other ecosystems and saw that they matured a lot and now are very very good, both hardware- and software-wise.

So, being a programmer and seeing that Apple is dropping the ball (as if in slow-motion), I wanted to learn more about Android and mobile Windows platforms, and learn programming for them (I already know Windows programming, but want to get up-to-date with mobile development). And the best way to do all this is get my hands on these devices which I have dismissed in the past.

And now that I got all of them, I see how much I was missing. Having full Windows 8.1 in the palm of your hand, running full versions of Visual Studio, Photoshop and what-not... is just a dream come true. Android is awesome, too. Hardware is very, very good. No lag, very responsive, and screens are incredible (especially Nexus - the non-retina Dell is somewhat jarring to the eyes).

One happy man, just married to 3 cuties. :D Thinking about giving them cute names. Mimi, Nicky, Vicky? :D Any suggestions? :D

So, do Think Different! Having a happy polygamous relationship is not a crime. It opens up your mind, you learn something new. And you never know what future will bring. It might happen that Apple follows the way of many other companies that once were super successful, became too full of themselves, too fat and ignorant, and vanished.

Now, if you will excuse me, I'm going back to hugging and multitouching all of my beautiful wives. :D

samiznaetekto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 26, 2009
So how's the Dell Venue 8 pro? I was thinking about jumping on that $99 deal but decided at the last minute not too.

It's AWESOME!!! Being unfamiliar with Windows Metro UI, I'm just learning the ropes, but having real desktop Windows (not RT!!!) in the palm of my hand is unbelievable. I love this form factor as I like to take my gadgets with me everywhere without carrying a bag, and these tablets fit in cargo pockets of my cargo/hiking pants.

I'm still in disbelief that Microsoft made such a deal. What can $99 buy these days? A workweek of lunches? :D

samiznaetekto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 26, 2009
I figured they would be sold out in secs (if you could even get thru), it was an unbelievable deal

The only way to get $99 was in the stores, they had 20 tablets in each store for this price, after that, it's $199 for the rest of today (while supplies last). Online - no $99 love - servers were giving errors for 15 minutes after 7am PST, and hen they came back to life, it was already $199. I waited about 2 hours in the mall and got in the first 20.

calvol

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
Here too recently bought the N7 to play with and learn Android, and have to say for email and browsing is very nice. The one huge benefit I see for one-handed browsing I'd the back button at the bottom. Of all the tablets I've bought in the last 3 weeks-- Air, rMini, Asus Memo, N7, it's become my favorite for light use, but it's gotta go back because it has the random crash issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.