iPad Happy to stick with my 4

Discussion in 'iPad' started by puma1552, Nov 2, 2013.

1. puma1552 macrumors 601

Now, I'm not one of those people who has the old tech and therefore shuns the new tech by default out of jealousy or whatever. I'm usually a "I like what I have but the new stuff is sweeter, don't kid yourself" kind of guy.

I had an opportunity to unload my 64 gig wifi iPad 4 for $540. I only paid $630 for it on black friday last year, so there's definitely a pretty strong case for upgrading.

I browsed the threads here the past couple days and with any Apple release and forum members' OCD (including my own) I was worried about the Air release. I then went to the store this morning to get my hands on one to play with for the first time.

The size is great. I didn't care too much for the screen feeling, but I would've never noticed if I didn't read this forum. Wouldn't be a deal breaker though. The chamfered edge manufacturing seems to be better than on the iPhone. The silver plastic insert apple logo on the back of the silver model was interesting; would prefer the traditional black insert logo, but the silver is better than the engraved/screen printed/whatever cheap logo on the back of the iPhone 5/5S. The weight was nice, but it did feel a little cheap to me. Then again I thought the same when going from the 4S to the 5, but now I'm used to it so no problems there. The volume/sleep buttons felt fantastic and I like that they are silver rather than cheap black plastic like previous iPads.

After playing with several, I couldn't shake the reality that the screens were indeed bad and I didn't have to look that hard; dark/dingy green/yellow on the left on all but one (I looked at about 5), and a just a tiny bit pink on the right but pretty good (I'd say the right was the better side, if the whole screen looked like the right side I'd say it was probably just fine). They seemed like they could've been brighter too.

At the end of the day, is the Air a better performer than my 4? Sure, absolutely. Did I leave convinced I needed it? Unfortunately no, which is probably why I spent 30 minutes playing with it, trying to convince myself I had to have it. If the screens were perfect out of the gate things may have been different, but as of right now, they are not.

I also recognize that my iPad 4 is a quality control freak - it's absolutely perfect and the screen is the best of any Apple product I've ever had. Absolutely ZERO backlight bleed, fantastic color and brightness, and my battery still regularly exceeds ten hours of usage between charges even going beyond 50% brightness. Coming home from the Apple store and picking up my 4, it is a seriously sturdy, solid, well put together piece of kit, and I'm ok sticking with it for one more year.

To those with the Air, that's a great machine and hopefully there are no issues with yours and I look forward to getting one next year, hopefully with 2 gigs of RAM and sorted screen issues (but let's face it every release of everything has screen issues). In the meantime, I like the heavy and solid feel of my 4, which does everything I need it to do.

Enjoy those Airs, I think that's the iPad Steve originally envisioned. :)

2. iOZZY macrumors member

I'm still very pleased with my iPad 4 and sticking with it for the foreseeable future. Regularly get 14 hrs usage on iOS 6.1.3 on 3G

On the other hand my mini will be getting the upgrade treatment to the retina model as soon as its available as the mini screen resolution is under par in my opinion.

3. Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

The bulk of the ipad was always just a tad too much for comfortable extended use for me and has always been my biggest turnoff so this upgrade was huge. If its not that big a deal for you then by all means enjoy the 4!

4. brentsg macrumors 68040

People picking the screens apart on macrumors isn't something new. This happens with each release.

5. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

The 4 is a fine piece of technology but of course with every iteration, the new one is faster, better, stronger. No need to upgrade every year though.

6. arcite macrumors 6502a

arcite

Cairo, trapped in a pyramid with my iphone
    I find it's best to upgrade every 3 generations, that way you really notice the advancements. ;)

So prepare for iPad 6 envy. :p

7. Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

I tend to upgrade each generation because Apple devices hold value so damn well. You can sell the last year's model for near full price shortly before the next one arrives (and still for a lot after the next release).

8. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

That's a great price, you should have taken it. The Air is wonderful.

9. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Unlike phones, most people do not upgrade thier iPads . iPads are closer to a computer update cycle, once it starts struggling with the os, people upgrade. The iPad 4 is fine, people on older versions running ios7 are more likely to take the jump.

10. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

Normally I'd agree but the Air is a dramatic change from the previous versions. I can't say enough how much I like the Air over my 3rd gen.

11. Steviejobz macrumors 68000

LOL at people thinking there's a difference between the 3rd and 4th gen. Oh yeah, the lightning port...

12. eggersj macrumors 6502

eggersj

OP-Very very well written. I'd be happy still with my 4. But I got good money for it and went from 32 to 64, so I am very happy with my air.

IMO, The main reason to upgrade is the size. (I still have a callous on my left pinky from all those hours of holding my ipad 4). Performance wise the air is not notably faster in practical use, but on geekbench 3 it burned my 4 by more than 100%.

Both are fabulous machines... Can't go wrong with either the 4 or air IMHO.

13. puma1552 thread starter macrumors 601

you should be more informed. after such initial thoughts it was found that the 4 was quite a bit better machine, what the 3 should have been.

14. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

I came from a mini iPad so the Air makes me happy. I gave the mini a full year of exclusive use and i just missed the big immersive screen...but now its in a lighter thinner package.

15. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

How about the significantly faster CPU and GPU? Web page rendering, PDF rendering, etc the iPad 3 can actually be more sluggish than the iPad 2. The iPad 3 feels like a rushed job just so Apple can get retina out the door before its competitors start releasing tablets with full HD displays.

16. atlatnesiti macrumors 6502a

Yeh, having iPad 4 already, I am slightly disappointed with iPad Air.
    Sure it has a faster CPU and GPU, 64 bit architecture, nice new design, but sadly still the same amount of RAM.
    I use my iPad mostly as a music production studio on a go and heavily rely on multitasking - I often run 3 to four synth and DSP apps at the same time on top of DAW such as Auria or Cubasis and 1GB of RAM creates bottlenecks :(
    Will wait for next iPad I think...

17. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

I'm still extremely delighted with my iPad 4 (purchased 6 months ago). Battery life on iOS 6.1.3 is still insane (well over 12 hours). Performance is still the best of any mobile device I own, and the build quality and screen quality are stellar.

LOL at people who blindly gobble up whatever talking points floats out. Try adding CPU/GPU upgrade and upgraded camera that the 4 has over the 3.

18. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

To the OP I hear you. For me though the upgrade was an easy decision. The more I use my iPad (see my signature...) the more I want it lighter and thinner. So much so that I came thisclose to getting a mini at one point, but I can't get past the fact that I've become an extremely proficient typist in landscape on the full size iPad and don't want to lose that. But I hear you and to each their own!