Happy Veterans (Armistice & Remembrance) Day!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by SandboxGeneral, Nov 11, 2015.

1. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Happy Veteran's Day to my fellow warriors out there!

veterans-day-2015-widescreen-graphic.jpg

2. Scepticalscribe, Nov 11, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2015

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Indeed. And excellent and worthy idea for a thread, and thank you for taking the time and trouble to start it.

There can be few of us in Europe who did not lose family in the Services during the two World Wars.

In my own case, an uncle of mine - a Flight Lieutenant in the RAF - who had married my aunt, my mother's eldest sister, herself a serving officer in the WAAFs, was killed in November 1943. I have his signet ring, which I wear.

3. rshrugged macrumors 6502a

Rudyard Kipling - Tommy

4. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

My grandfather was a flight sergeant in the RAF and was a co pilot on a Lancaster bomber during WW2. My Nan was a WAAF and they met at RAF Coningsby in Lincolnshire. My grandfather went on to be a watchmaker after the war but also remained an employee of the RAF designing instruments for aircraft. The last aircraft he worked on was the Vulcan bomber and he was instrumental in working on the refuelling concept. My father donated his drawings to the Imperial War museum a few years ago as my grandfather died in 1966.

It's a nice time to admire our loved ones/family we may have never met etc and what they gave to secure the future we had and have.