Happy with O2

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Nessy, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Nessy macrumors newbie

Im happy with O2 UK. I know others have had a real pain.

I was frustrated with not being able to get a 16 Gig after the upgrade-online fiasco and really did not want to do massive queueing at an O2 store.

After a call to O2 I was told that I could pop into Apple, pick up a new phone + contract, come back home and call them. They cancelled and transferred my SIM to the new phone. All done and I have my black 16 Gig. Wonderful.

O2 were really helpful and polite.

2. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

So you were an existing O2 customer with a 1st gen iPhone?

And O2 let you go to an Apple store to buy a 3G iPhone to upgrade/replace your existing iPhone?

Wow! Sounds good… :)

Did they cancel your existing O2 contract and transfer your number?

I'm going to call them right now and try my luck. :D

3. fireplace macrumors member

well i can't upgrade to an iphone. i still have 10 months of contract:mad:

with the first gen iphone you could upgrade any contract but i thought i'd wait for the 3g, meanwhile they got me onto a new 18 month contract. now you can only upgrade an first gen iphone.

bit peeved, can't really complain - except if i had known this was going to be the deal i would have got a first gen iphone.

ebay prices are just stupid.

4. felixkunze macrumors member

So how did you manage to convince them to cancel your old contract? I called them about 5 times to ask if I could do this by just buying at the Apple store and they told me it wasn't possible without paying the entire cancellation fee and that I absolutely HAD to upgrade at an O2 store.

5. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Alas. Same story here…

O2's position is I have to wait until the iPhone is available again (O2's online shop) and only then I can get my "courtesy" upgrade…
    Or. Cancel, pay up and restart with a new contract — which obviously isn't going to be an option!

I don't know how the OP managed to wangle it… some details would help. :eek:

6. Nessy thread starter macrumors newbie

Friday - called O2 (3024 or something like that - on my old iPhone!)....done something like option 2 then 5 (basically the option for 'anything else'). Spoke to nice lady. Basically asked if I could go and buy a new iPhone from Apple then put the new SIM in old phone and old SIM (mine) in new phone. She went away and said I could get a new phone, then call back and they would cease the contract and transfer the number. I said are you certain and she said they had received an email to say they could do this. Still dubious I then popped into my Apple store yesterday and bought 2 new phones and called them.
    I then got a call back from them telling me to put my old sim in the new phone and the old contract was cancelled. They have been excellent in my opinion but it might help when you call them to appreciate they have probably had a couple of weeks of hell so be nice and polite back and the same should be returned to you.

I figured I would be ok if all went wrong as all calls are recorded and I could request the Friday phone call telling me I COULD do what I have done.

Me = Happy. Black 16 Gig, upgraded and no hassle. Magic.

7. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Thanks for the info…
    Seems some staff haven't got the "special" email yet… :(

Called but no go. And yes, I was polite — don't know why you'd assume we weren't being. ;) :rolleyes:

Unfortunately it didn't work like that even with an existing iPhone contract. Not possible to upgrade at an Apple store if you are a current O2 iPhone customer. (What makes me mad is I purchased my original iPhone at an O2 store!

8. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

yeah o2 generally have very good customer service but the only reason they suspended your old contract was coz it was an iPhone contract. Not if it was a normal contract.