Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
Hi guys.

Here's whats up:

Back in early May my sister calls me up from NY (I'm in Cali) and tells me that her Windows 7 HP laptop would no longer turn on. At all.

For the longest time I had always wanted to convert my Windows Loving Sis to the Mac side and the same day in May I offered to buy her a MBP; of which she really needed a computer considering she was about to approach finals at her University.

I got her the MBP and when she visited during the summer she brought me her Windows laptop that wouldn't turn on.

She loves her MBP btw, and smiled when I asked her which system was better...of which she screamed how she went for so long with a complicated Windows laptop :D:D

Indeed her Windows laptop wouldn't turn on at all. I did take out the HD from that HP laptop and with a USB cable managed to connect it to my MBP and salvage all her photos, movies, documents, etc of hers and give them all back to her, now nestled safely on her MBP.

-

With the holidays coming up, my sister living in NY and my leaving to Tokyo next year I thought it to be a neat-o idea if I somehow got this Windows 7 laptop working again and give it to our mom; considering she doesn't have a computer, has been wanting one for a while now and most importantly wants to video Skype with us while we're in different corners of the world.

-

Truth is, I don't know much about Windows and the whole reboot and reinstall process so figured I'd ask before going under the hood. We def. don't have any of the reinstall discs...if they still exist they are most likely at our Aunt's house between Bunsen Burner and the frayed wires. So now i'm wondering if purchasing a new copy of Windows at Best Buy could suffice.

Also, that HD that was in her Windows HP laptop, I completely erased using Disk Utility on Mac (@ the time in hopes of using it as an external 360 HD).

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
first question. Can you turn on the computer?

If not it is not going to matter about reinstalling it.

As for Re-installing it that part is easy. Just put in the restore disk and boot it up. It takes care of everything else.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
first question. Can you turn on the computer?

If not it is not going to matter about reinstalling it.

As for Re-installing it that part is easy. Just put in the restore disk and boot it up. It takes care of everything else.

When my sis first gave me the laptop it would not turn on at all. AT ALL. Even plugged in, etc.

I don't have the reinstall discs but i'd imagine Microsoft somehow being able to send in a replacement considering my sis sent in the appropriate documents.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
When my sis first gave me the laptop it would not turn on at all. AT ALL. Even plugged in, etc.

I don't have the reinstall discs but i'd imagine Microsoft somehow being able to send in a replacement considering my sis sent in the appropriate documents.

Sounds like you have other hardware failures in the laptop so reinstalling windows will be the least of your concerns.
As for MS they are going to point you back to HP to supply you the disk.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
Sounds like you have other hardware failures in the laptop so reinstalling windows will be the least of your concerns.
As for MS they are going to point you back to HP to supply you the disk.

So perhaps count the losses, sell the laptop for parts and use the cash towards a Mac for my mom? :rolleyes::apple:

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
Has it been dropped?
When the unit is plugged in, does the battery show that it is charging?

If not, I am willing to bet the power connector was bummped and it broke the jack from the mother board.

Could be an easy fix or a mother board replacement

steve2112

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2009
East of Lyra, Northwest of Pegasus
Has it been dropped?
When the unit is plugged in, does the battery show that it is charging?

If not, I am willing to bet the power connector was bummped and it broke the jack from the mother board.

Could be an easy fix or a mother board replacement

Yep. If it won't power up but you were still able to pull data off the hard drive, then it is a hardware problem. The power connector getting broken is the most common problem but the motherboard itself may have died. If it is still under warranty, then let the company fix it. If not, and you are handy with electronics, pop the cover off and check the power connector on the motherboard. If the motherboard died, it will be a very expensive fix.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
After speaking with my mom she said she rather prefers a Mac. However she wants a desktop Mac. So looks like that's the route I'll be taking. :eek:

Oh well. I'll probably still open the windows laptop up and take a look inside.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.