Haptic alert when you leave behind your iPhone?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Apps' started by flwilhe, Dec 3, 2015.

1. flwilhe macrumors newbie

Is there an app that spams the haptic alert if you and your iPhone become separated?

2. 3568358 macrumors 6502

3. michaelb5000 macrumors member

I don't know why this isn't built in to the OS and agreed this would be a key feature. My vague memory is that this was rumored to be in WatchOs 2 and was called "smart leashing" but didn't make it in in the end. Maybe the issue is that it would go off too much, but I would definitely want this if I could (maybe geofenced in some way so there would be delay if it disconnected from home).

4. flwilhe thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm gonna look through WatchKit and see if there's a coding solution.

5. AndyK macrumors 65816

AndyK

Not currently possible until they allow WatchKit access to the Core Bluetooth API.

6. Aniseedvan macrumors 65816

It would need be clever enough to not just work on Bluetooth (I.e. Know that the watch and phone were on the same wifi). My garmin VivoSmart and vivoactive used to buzz all the time when my phone was at the boundary of Bluetooth range in my house and drove me mad. The garmin forums were full of people asking to make it optional. If this was done in a subsequent release, I'd want it optional so I could turn it off!

7. ekwipt macrumors 6502a

It's a good feature request, I'd like it implemented but the amount of times I look down and my watch has the unconnected icon is huge

8. neutrino23 macrumors 68000

Just today I visited the Apple store to ask about this and got the same negative answer.

It seems like the information is available. The Watch is smart enough to post that little red icon when the iPhone is out of range. It should be able to optionally trigger an alert of some sort when that change takes place.

9. AndyK macrumors 65816

AndyK

No, it posts a little red icon when there is no bluetooth connectivity & the phone can't be found via wifi. Range is only one factor that causes that & the watch has no idea weather it is or isn't at the time.

10. Zimmy68 macrumors 65816

Zimmy68

My OG Peeble would do this.
    Not because it was any type of feature, it would just remind you when you were out of range from the bluetooth source.
    I'd be out throwing away the trash, and get a nice buzz on my wrist.

11. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

The disconnection icon is enough for me.

If I forget my phone, and I'm also out of range, I wouldn't be able to ping it anyway. Why should the watch freak out and tap me if it can't tell me where the phone is?

12. Goalieed macrumors member

I would love a user selectable option to notify or not. I leave my phone charging too much.

13. bitslap47 macrumors 6502a

bitslap47

I'd like an alert on both devices that alerts the other is out of range. You leave your phone, your watch tells you; You leave your watch, your phone tells you.