Haptic Double-Tap When Receiving Notifications?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by tidalwav1, May 21, 2015.

1. tidalwav1 macrumors newbie

I attempted to ask this question in a different thread but figured I'd be better off starting a new one.

Do any of you feel TWO taps when receiving an incoming notification (weak tap immediately followed by a stronger one?)

The "prominent haptic" setting is disabled, and manually playing with the "haptic strength" slider in the settings does result in a single tap, as expected. I seem to be feeling two taps only when receiving notifications.

This could be because I'm still getting used to the feel of the taps and maybe it's all in my head, but I'm curious to hear your thoughts.

2. tobsennn macrumors newbie

Yes ;) Some third party app notifications have even different haptic feedback, e.g. two taps followed by a short "buzz". It's definitely not in your head :D

3. tidalwav1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Interesting, I didn't realize third-party apps had control over the haptic notifications, since I thought they had effectively no access to hardware features.

4. PedCrossing macrumors 6502

PedCrossing

Third party apps don't have control over haptic patterns, the watch has an unique haptic feedback(2 short 1 long) for third party apps. The single tap while setting haptic strength is only to give you an idea how strong the feedback is.

5. tidalwav1 thread starter macrumors newbie

I see.

I've noticed that I've been feeling two short taps from notifications from the the native Mail app as well as "stand up" reminders, so maybe that's the standard pattern for first-party apps? Just trying to learn what the different patterns mean.

6. PedCrossing macrumors 6502

PedCrossing

I guess you're right, notifications for built-in apps are double-taps. Maybe there will be options for custom notifications in future updates.

7. The Tuck macrumors 6502

The Tuck

I remember reading in the Wired magazine profile of the Apple Watch creation they mentioned discussing "what a Tweet feels like" which made me think that a Twitter notifications would have some sort of special haptic feedback. It seems like it's exactly like any other 3rd party notification.

Tuck

8. PedCrossing macrumors 6502

PedCrossing

I remember that part as well, the first time I got a twitter notification on my watch, I was like: this does't feel like a bird

9. H3rman macrumors 6502

Only just got my watch, but I thought the "two tap" was just the linear actuator sliding across from once side to the other (first tap), then sliding back to its resting position (2nd tap).

So for example it moves from the left, to the right, then back to the left and stops.

The taptic engine is basically just a weighted mass that slides side to side from what I understand. Might be wrong??

10. Yptcn macrumors 6502a

Yptcn

I never miss 3d party notifications ( a slight buzz maybe ? ) but often miss messages or emails . I wish the haptics were stronger .