Haptic/sound notifications on watch for quiet apps on phone?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by jollino, Oct 20, 2018.

1. jollino macrumors 6502

jollino

Hi all,
    apologies for the possibly naïve question, but I can't seem to find an answer for it; indeed, I'm not even sure if what I'm looking for is possible at all.

I have an AW S4 with watchOS 5.0.1 and an iPhone 7 with iOS 12.0.1. I read up on how notifications are routed to one or the other, and that's all good.
    However, when an iPhone app triggers a silent notification (whether because the developer doesn't require a sound to be played when one is shown, or because I disabled sounds for that app) and it's sent to the watch, it also remains quiet to the watch.

That makes sense, but is there any way to force the watch to at least always vibrate when notifications come in, regardless of the whether it would play a sound or not on the phone? It would be even better on a per-app basis, but just a little nudge to alert me that something has popped up would be nice. With the phone in front of me I noticed them easily even if they were silent, but now that they quietly go to the watch I often wind up missing them.

Is this even possible, or am I just looking for something that's not there? :)

Thanks!

2. Mac'nCheese Suspended

Mac'nCheese

I came here to post the same question. I have an apple watch series 1 and an Xs. I want my watch and phone to vibrate/make a sound when I get a text. The only thing I found was this:

"
    If you turn off Wrist Detection (on your iPhone, in the Watch app, go to: My Watch > Passcode - turn off Wrist Detection), then all notification alerts will be delivered to both devices."

But then I lose other functions light heart rate notifications and my watch locking when I take it off.

3. tehStickMan macrumors regular

tehStickMan

"A silent notification is a remote notification that doesn't display an alert, play a sound, or badge your app's icon."
    https://developer.apple.com/documen...n_server/pushing_updates_to_your_app_silently

There is no alert on your phone, so there's no alert on your watch.

If you have alerts turned on for some app, but turned off the sound, you can see on phone settings that the vibration alert still remains. This will be replicated on your watch.

4. staggerlee41 macrumors 6502a

staggerlee41

I'm fairly certain the notification settings are per app. That is, go to the Watch App>My Watch>Notifications and in your case go to Messages.

Mine are set up as follows. When I get an incoming message, I get a haptic alert on my watch and on the phone I either get an audible tone or it vibrates depending on what I have it set to. I have sounds disabled on my watch and only want the haptic feedback.

Is this what you were looking for?

Attached Files:

5. jollino thread starter macrumors 6502

jollino

In my case the issue is not with the Messages app, but with apps whose developers decided to send silent notifications, as tehStickMan pointed out above. It makes sense that the watch mirrors the same behavior, however it would be nice to be able to override that: as I was saying, a silent notification still lights up the phone's screen, so you may still be able to see if it if it's in front of you; with the watch, you're very likely to miss it. Not the end of the world of course, just one of those little things. :)