Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Daniel97

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 6, 2011
Does anybody have the Hard Candy Bubbles case for the new 2011 MBA 11" ?

If so can you post some pics please :)

Thanks!

Daniel97

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 6, 2011
Thanks for your sarcasm however i wanted to see close ups of the case being used ..

Your google search mirrored mine in that the pictures are generic and small.

There also appears to be 2 different cases? One with a grey insert all around the edge and one with 4 orange bumper corners.

VMMan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2009
I have it. It's okay. It's not as nice as the product pictures on Amazon or from Hard Candy's website.

I expected a case that had a ballistic nylon looking exterior with a foam grey interior with red corner bumpers.

In actuality, the exterior looks a bit shiny and cheaper, but still okay.

The interior does not have any kind of grey foam. The red bumpers are there but they are only on the bottom half, which doesn't make any sense since if you drop the case, it could easily land upside down and not have any cushioning on the other side.

The "bubble" shapes on the exterior make the case feel much thicker than it would otherwise. One nice advantage of these bubbles is that I use it as a lap pad to rest the MBA 11" on top. The bubble shapes elevate the MBA off the case and allows for better air flow.

It's okay, but not as nice as the product photos.

STARS
4/5 Aesthetics - exterior
3/5 Aesthetics - interior
4/5 Protection
4/5 Build quality
4/5 Size
4/5 Weight

PROS:
Cheap
Semi-hard exterior
Decent protection from drops

CONS:
No handle
Very thick feeling
Bumpers are only on the bottom case flap
Exterior looks a bit cheaper than I expected
Interior lacks padding
Zippers are rubberized, but people report the rubberized parts break off
Need to unzip all 3 sides to get MBA in and out

unagimiyagi

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
I've the 13 but I think that the same lessons apply.
Interestingly, I have drawn an opposite conclusion from the post immediately above.

I have concluded that the hard candy is the best protection that you can buy for $50 for an air. Somewhat disordered comments:

1. It's actually thinner than its competitor, the Booq Vyper.
2. The bubble design can be viewed as making it thicker (if it didn't have the bubbles), but it doesn't bother me. I felt that the case functionally felt thin.
3. The bright pink/orange bumpers do work and they gave me reassurance if you drop the air on its corner.
4. It doesn't have a pocket like the Booq Vyper. This is a good thing, b/c the Vyper's pocket is useless. Absolutely useless and no one uses it.
5. The zippers on the hard candy may be problematic over time. I could see them breaking off, but they do not appear to be much worse or better than the competition's.
6. The fit is good, esp since you can adjust those bright orange bumpers.
7. It's reasonably watertight. I got caught in a huge deluge, and my backpack was totally soaked. My air was in the hard candy and it survived. Had it not been in the hard candy, I do think we would have had some water damage. But in no way shape or form am I saying that this is waterproof. It's lightly water resistant.
8. Design looks girly to me. The company is headed by two suburban dads on their website. They purposely go for a juicy couture vibe and while I don't like it, the hard candy is the most functional hard case out there.
9. Soft neoprene cases don't do jack squat if people care about protecting their air. I don't know why they are so popular. If you are in the middle of winter in a cold environment, there's also static electricity that can build up b/c of the neoprene. I never understood any of rationale for the neoprene cases when a hard case is available. Certainly neoprene should be priced cheaper at least.
10. There is about 1/8 of extra play on all sides when the air is fully inside the hard candy case. This is a good thing b/c the sides are also rigid, and the air is held tightly by the bumpers. So if you drop the air, in order to dent it, you've got to deform the outside shell, and then go 1/8" deeper before you hit the air. The key being that the air, despite the play, is being held tightly by the 4 bumpers, so it's ok to have that play as extra cushion.

Mayo7

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2010
The sample pictures with the grey foam in the case looks like a 3D model of the product and not the actual thing. I have no idea why those images are being provided because the actual thing does not come like that.

I used to own that case for the ipad and one thing you should be careful about it is that it is easy to accidentally drop the device while taking it out of that particular case (i imagine it's the same deal with macbook airs as well)! Just be sure that you're not opening the case upside down (can happen easily since there are no indications on the case), otherwise your macbook could slide out on its own and fall to the ground.

VMMan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2009
...you should be careful about it is that it is easy to accidentally drop the device while taking it out of that particular case (i imagine it's the same deal with macbook airs as well)! Just be sure that you're not opening the case upside down (can happen easily since there are no indications on the case), otherwise your macbook could slide out on its own and fall to the ground.

This aleady happened to me. I picked up the case and the MBA literally flung out and hit the floor, thankfully on a rug initially, and then bounced to the hardwood floor.

Daniel97

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 6, 2011
Arrived today and its awful.

No padding, doesnt fit the MBA properly and overpriced.

Returning it.

VMMan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2009
not a clue!

That's the problem!

I couldn't find an alternative case that would be a more high end version of the Hard Candy case.

I didn't like the design of the Booq case either with it's internal flaps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.