hard case sugestions for iPhone 3G?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by cwerdna, Dec 1, 2008.

1. cwerdna macrumors 6502

Ok... so this is the age old and often repeated question. Recommend/dis-recommend me a case.

I plan to take the iPhone 3G plunge real soon and have cases w/these criteria/requirements.

- adds minimal thickness
    - must not block camera lens or headphone jack
    - must not scratch up the phone
    - doesn't cost an arm and a leg (less than $40 please)
    - should survive going in and out of pocket (I think silicone/rubber sleeves are out)
    - should have plenty of space around dock connector to use w/various aftermarket chargers/FM transmitters (I once had an Agent 18 4th gen iPod case that was real tight in that area w/an FM transmitter)
    - primarily concerned w/protecting the back of the phone

don't care about:
    - screen protection (the glass screen seems scratch proof enough after having borrowed an iPhone 3G for almost 2 weeks)
    - case coming apart if it's dropped.
    - covering up buttons and switches (can be covered or not, don't care)
    - using iPhone with docks
    - whether it's a holster
    - where it has a belt clip

I don't plan on removing the iPhone from its case often or at all.

I'm probably not going to go with the InvisibleShield from Zagg (at least not to protect the back) as I'm worried it peeling off due to taking it in/out of my pocket. I've got it on my 80 gig iPod Classic and it's great but that iPod never goes in my pocket. It was also quite a pain for me to install so I don't relish installing it, taking it off when it starts peeling, sending it back, installing again, etc.

I can say that the http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/elanclip sucks. This came w/my borrowed iPhone and it completely blocks the camera lens and is too thick. In order to use the camera, I have to use quite a bit of force to remove the phone and end up scratching up the back a bit due to the clip at the top.

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1401480 mentions some but I see comments about some of the Countour Flick cases scratching up the chrome.

2. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

I use Griffin's iClear and so far it has really proved a worthy case for me. I got this around late October for $15.99, they're regularly $19.99 but right now some guy at eBay is selling it for $14.xx (link here thanks to Poat84's purchase)

I've gone through a lot of cases, and right now I must say I'm satisfied with iClear. With a decent price that offers good protection, I couldn't complain more.

On your checklist, it does add minimal bulk but still the back is a solid hard shell which offers a decent protection on minimal accidental drops, which already happened to me. I dropped my iPhone after I finished washing my hands and grabbed to reach it. It fell from waistline height to the floor and I'm really thankful I had this case. That hard shell at the back helped. The case never snapped open, no scuffs on my iPhone nor to the case.

It doesn't block the headphone jack, camera lens or dock connector, in fact the upper and lower portion of this case is widely opened. I use my iPhone too daily with a car F.M. transmitter whenever I drive to school - work - home. This case fits perfectly with a Griffin iTrip Autopilot.

It doesn't scratch the phone, nor the bezel. It's been a month long now, haven't seen any noticeable scratches at the back nor at the bezel.

It also slides in and out of your pocket easily. Case is snug itself so dust won't easily get inside, and your iPhone won't move while inside this case (unlike other cases) that might cause scratches.

This iClear case by Griffin is highly recommended. (the one without straps)

3. cmooreou macrumors member

for the absolute least bulk i'd go with the sgp ultra slim. it provides scratch protection for the back and will not scratch you phone because it doesn't slide over it like the incase slider.

4. yOyOYoo macrumors 6502a

yOyOYoo

Try the Incipio Feather case. It's super slim like the SGP case.

You can also try the Seidio Innocase II. I like it because it protects the chrome bezel of the iPhone.

5. Daremo macrumors 68000

Daremo

Switcheasy Capsule NEO. Hands down, my favorite case.

6. mcmanus7 macrumors 6502a

I'll second the Seidio Innocase II... I like that case so much that I actually have 2 now haha... (different colors)

7. SimpleJack macrumors newbie

Try the clear case from www.phonesuit.com. It has a minimalist design. The screen is covered completely and you can still type (even though you don't mind). The great thing is it stops dirt from getting in. Not to pricey at $15.

8. tblarson macrumors newbie